Snapper taxidermy

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Northland Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snapper taxidermy
    Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 9:01am
Northland Bill View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hello all. I shot this snapper yesterday up near matai bay. I would like to put it on the wall with a spear sticking out of it. Can anyone recommend a good taxidermist? Skin or fiberglass jobbie?

What I wrote for the e-mag

Matai bay madness.
The 12 a clock nock on Friday saw a group of four (two of which spearo’s) mission it to the unexplored country of Northlands Karikari peninsula. Upon arrival we dropped off excess gear at camp and eagerly launched the boat into the mesmerizingly clear water. 1st dive along the coast to the east of matai saw superb vis. An absolute joy to dive in. Checking awesome cray cracks and holes produced nothing ( a lot of pots about ) and our burleys also produced nothing. One alright kingfish was seen briefly. We then checked out a lone rock straight out from camp. Good amounts of trevally, kahawai, demoiselle and blue mao mao were seen. Several snapper were seen also but only one good one that remained out of shooting distance. I managed a nice pink mao mao around the 21m deep. Back to camp we headed, craving a dive in some more unexplored country the following day.
Excellent conditions were had. Briefly checking out the lone rock we saw smallish kingies which were left. We Then Headed North and checked out some islands. My mate wanted a kingie so hung around in the large mackerel, kahawai and trevally schools. I went and hung around in the rocks looking for a cray. Missing one I made it around in between a couple of small islands and and one larger one. With a boulder covered bottom I was checking it out meticulously. When all of a sudden I see a big fish go underneath a big boulder. Thinking it was a porae, I went and investigated this fish without much effort put into covering my silhouette. Looking ahead a see a honking big snapper with three fish swimming with it. Turning side on it stopped and presented well. I put i shot in the head, a little low for a kill shot but it was definitely a good hold. After a bit of a fight I was bear hugging and ikiing it. Swimming to the boat and getting the boatman to help me pull it up, I was unaware of its size until it was out of the ocean. Stunning fish. Excitement all round, especially after weighing. Plenty of photos commenced of the fish I believe to be a once in a lifetime capture

Cracked the magic 30 mark :D

Cheers guys.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Benno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 9:08am
Benno View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

legend
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 9:11am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That is a mean looking fish...cool!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 9:18am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

"with a spear sticking out of it."

Now, that's a novel approach  Bill.
Somewhere for the sparrows to roost?LOL

I jest mate~~what a cracker of a fish~~top marks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chief x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 9:32am
chief x View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great fish mate! Get in contact with Craymounts as there was an earlier thread about his 31lb snap he had done. Very impressive.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 9:52am
AR View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

There seems to be a gun with tight rubbers in the boat...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Setanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 9:56am
Setanta View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Pretty decent fish mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Northland Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 10:07am
Northland Bill View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by AR AR wrote:

There seems to be a gun with tight rubbers in the boat...

Yea that was my mate. Must have been amping to see my fish. Not ideal, I know.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 11:21am
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thats a beast - nice one.
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sleek 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 11:39am
sleek 1 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

wicked,good skills!Clap
Paitence , stealth and slyness. A hunters greatest allies
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bush billy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 11:52am
bush billy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mate what a fishClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 12:39pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hall of fame! Can I recommend you get it weighed on some tested scales too - gas station is fine. Definitely not a skin mount - I have never seen a good one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kinaspike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 12:39pm
kinaspike View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

WOW! Is there a story?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Leatherjacket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 1:10pm
Leatherjacket View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

That is an epic fish well done!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gundry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 2:29pm
Gundry View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

EPIC nice work
Winter is Meh
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 4:30pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Woot, woot!
Sweet fishClap Get it weighed on certified scales as DD suggests
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Firey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 5:44pm
Firey View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hell fish!!!
No sooner does man discover intelligence than he tries to involve it in his own stupidity.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote J-D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 5:49pm
J-D View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Paddy at Action Mounted . . . he has done a few including my own . . he does an awesome job!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 5:55pm
The Jackal View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

unreal! put up a fight?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 6:03pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have seen very few good snapper mounts. The colour is usually totally wrong, they have the mouth wide open and the fins in weird positions. I got one done by a guy in Paraparaumu who I reckon did an outstanding job - John Trask.
Page  12>