V16 Sea Nymph

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote woza friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V16 Sea Nymph
    Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 8:02pm
woza friday View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have been looking at a V16 Sea Nymph. How are these boats in the chop?......I'm being told they are not as good as the V146. What size motor suits them best? I'm guessing a 90 is about right?
Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 1:06am
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good boats...   gullwing hull    90 is good power and economy....  anything less will struggle...  

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote family affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 7:50am
family affair View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

go the 14,6 man take the back to back seats out heaps of room
mv maui
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 10:41am
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

looking at replacing a 14ft6 with a 16 ft.......thoughts
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 5:32pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Go for it.. better still go next up with the 18' 2" commander
 All excellent performing boats.. basically a mini a midi of the commander
 Best performance.. hull/ economy is being well powered
 Commander  min 115 hp good 140hp little over powered 150..
16'  well powered 115
 what makes these old boats SN , haines etc handle well in chop is the bow drops steep, unlike many more modern hull that I think are designed as a alrounder river/ lake and sea boats that bow curves back under the boat more.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 6:39pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

cheers steps 16 ftr would be powered by a 05 merc 90 off the 14ft6 just think a bit more room and seems to be a very straight hull 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 10:11am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thats a good 20% difference in power at the prop.. thats significant.
 Thats basically the reserve power you had for chop.. ie  set throttle  and simply go thru.. to more weight, having to play with throttle to keep in the plain.

After having the 90 on the 14' 6" you will be a little disappointment in the 'freedom' the 90 gave on that hull to the 16"
 But hey, if did not know the difference, then would not know.. be a happy chappie.
 In saying that would not be under powered , just min powered...
 Acceptable trade off for more room on a tight budget.. I think so.. for now... keep an eye out over next yr or so for good larger at a fair price, and flick yours off 

Realise also most probably a prop change also. If so alloy will do the job.. 16' you are just getting up into boat weight/ load on prop above fast cruise, that prop flex starts to come in...  and lets face it how often do you travel distance above fast cruise???

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwikoro. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 12:34pm
Kiwikoro. View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I’ve had my V16 for over 20 yrs,just gave it a full refurb,just make sure the hull and transom is sound.
I originally had a 115hp Evirude,now running a 90 hp,plenty of power with both.
Great 2 man boat,3 at a squeeze for fishing.
Soft riding Gullwing hull,easy to handle on your own,plenty of cabin space.
Only marginally less room than a mates 535 Haines,which is a great boat but 2 1/2 times the cost of mine.
Plus I’m happy as with the old girl.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowboat bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 10:32pm
rowboat bob View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I looked at all of this stuff  about 6 years and went for a Marlborough Rapier 5.2m, These days they would call it a 5.6m with the pod. So glad I did , similar price to the old Sea Nymphs but bigger , more modern looking , higher freeboard . Top rough weather boats.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 9:08am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

These days they would call it a 5.6m with the pod.

Very good point.

They being marketing propaganda ppl and sales BS people.
Buccaneers are a good example.. I believe the 635 is actually a 6m hull.
Measure is from bottom of keel to vertial drop from bow , not including and anchor support or sprit.
There is a crowd on Trade Me that markets their 2nd hand boats measuring from end of the engine to tip of sprit... A 18' 2" (5.5m) SN commander suddenly becomes a 6m boat

KK nice very tidy looking boat...
 We have a similar  bimni set up on out commander
We dont have a 'launcher' for rods and being thinking about it. 
A question. Mounting the launcher like that is having bimni up (as we usually do for winter wind and summer sun) still make the launcher practical?
 Currently have a couple holders back on the inside of gunnels   lean and spaced so rod tips just clear the bimmni.
 And doubles sided velco on the side panels under the screws that hold the side panels on  to stow 2 rods each each side. plus couple double side velcos on bimni support so 2 more rods can be stowed each side leaning back, with bases on floor under helm tips clearing the back of the Bimini top 
 These latter work well stowing rods safely espec when towing , and stowed at sea, rather than thrown up into the cabin with other stuff liable to roll on them.
 I still come back thu to having a launcher.. but not at the top back of the bimni. Have found on smaller boats.. 5.5m  when SB casting into boils up etc, launcher there often is a pain... as is on the back of a bait board.
 Hence asking thoughts from someone who has practical experience with your set up..or if did again would do different.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 10:38am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

These days they would call it a 5.6m with the pod.

Very good point.

They being marketing propaganda ppl and sales BS people.
Buccaneers are a good example.. I believe the 635 is actually a 6m hull.
Measure is from bottom of keel to vertial drop from bow , not including and anchor support or sprit.
There is a crowd on Trade Me that markets their 2nd hand boats measuring from end of the engine to tip of sprit... A 18' 2" (5.5m) SN commander suddenly becomes a 6m boat

That might be a little unfair to Buccaneer. We had a 605 next to our Rayglass 650's for a while and the Bucc was much closer to the 650 measurement than a 6m measurement. Certainly seemed bigger than a 605 LOA measurement. Agree though that boat measurements on older styles especially are all over the place. Most NZ companies today seem to give LOA rather than LWL or some other measurement in between. Best to fully read the detailed specs though to be sure that it the length you are expecting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwikoro. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 12:37pm
Kiwikoro. View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey steps, I find the launcher on the front screen is perfect for me,easy access even with my canopy up,keeps our rods well out of the way for casting its ideal for the smaller boat I reckon.Better than above the cockpit.
The rods sit at the same angle as the screen and canopy so I would imagine if your Bimini extends out over the screen this position for the launcher would not suit,unless you move the Bimini back a bit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 10:45am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Our bimini is basically same as yours..
 I dont get this thu
easy access even with my canopy up,
 Where are you reaching from? over  around , side, bringing in thru front flap?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Black Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 12:37pm
Black Max View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Buccaneer 605 - LOA is 6.4m
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 5:39pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

cheers kiwi koro looking at the 16 ft open boat so same as the 14ft 6 just 16ft as have no real need for the cabin