What can we do to help protect our gear?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What can we do to help protect our gear?
    Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 12:01pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Like many others here I also know that horrible feeling of having hard earned
gear stolen by undeserving scumbags.

Got to thinking what we could do via this forum to help reduce number of incidents.

Obviously posting descriptions here of the items stolen & the general locality is
very worthwhile .... but maybe a "think tank" of further ideas could be helpful.

A few thoughts to kick things off ........

(1) Take individual pics of any gear we are likely to have stolen.
(2) Mark items in some way so as they can be easily identified. 
(3) If an offender is convicted of such offencers then a name & shame list.
(4) Members contribute to a fund to be used towards a reward for info
     resulting in conviction of offender/s.

Must be heaps of other ideas .... lets hear about them.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 12:47pm
Ces View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Re: 1) the insurance lady recommended to do this anyway for insurance purposes, now I have a folder in my computer with pics of all dive and fishing gear
2) I had thought of using a Dremel to engrave gear but then I thought that would lower the re-sale value...

Just a couple of thoughts
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 12:56pm
"Scooter" View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

A few years ago our local police caught up with a group of Thieves and found a map of Waiuku in their possesion.
On this map was marked every property in the area they had been hitting that had a dog.
None of those places had been touched.
At the time I had three dogs running round my back yard,today I have four dogs,a shovel,a ute,,and access to a big swamp,,,,,pity the fool.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 1:17pm
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yep u got it there i live in the country and im sure our mutts have spooked people that may have been caseing the place although they wouldnt do anything in fact they would probably be nicked too the barking is enough to scare em off .i have been thinking about getting a big black shepard or similar that gets let off at night to patrol the estate that would do some damage tho.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 6:59pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Ces Ces wrote:

2) I had thought of using a Dremel to engrave gear but then I thought that would lower the re-sale value...
I accept the value loss as I believe it lowers the re-sale value for anyone who nicks it far more.
I have my name engraved on the base or side plate of all my reels but I squirm every time I do it. I try and do it on an external part that would be bloody expensive or difficult to replace.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 9:01pm
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The guy I bought my boat off has engraved everything and I mean everything, with the name of the boat and the call-sign. Makes sense to me...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 9:19pm
Cbro View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I tend to just buy custom rods...easily ID'd. 
Engraving reels...If i was to do this I'd prop just stick a serial number on it rather than a name. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 10:25pm
pirate View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by the angler the angler wrote:

yep u got it there i live in the country and im sure our mutts have spooked people that may have been caseing the place although they wouldnt do anything in fact they would probably be nicked too the barking is enough to scare em off .i have been thinking about getting a big black shepard or similar that gets let off at night to patrol the estate that would do some damage tho.

think your safe dangler no one gonna take the risk for a penn seaboy and a coupla warehouse
lures
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote welshbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 7:56am
welshbaz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Ces Ces wrote:

Re: 1) the insurance lady recommended to do this anyway for insurance purposes, now I have a folder in my computer with pics of all dive and fishing gear

Also good to put these pics online somewhere such as microsoft skydrive, flikr, icloud etc or backup to a usb drive so you have easy access to them if your computer gets nicked too.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jonocoogee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 8:42am
jonocoogee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Def a good idea to hide it on an online file somewhere. A very easy way to do it is to make and email and email it to yourself. That way its always on your emails. 

Or if you have it all written on paper with photos, put it in your books. When did you ever hear of someone stealing your books.
TAS - Its a real disease
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lineburningthugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 9:38pm
Lineburningthugs View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

You can get them micro dotted , it contains all the owners information when scanned and can't be seen without a magnifying glass/micro scope
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 10:40pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

print the pics of your gear off on plain paper and file them away.

At the end of the day naming your gear or taking pics is not going to stop it from being stolen
Dogs, alarms, security measures, fences gates locks, what ever you can do to deter them. Think of it as coughing up the excess on a claim, but not having to suffer the loss of your gear.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 8:50am
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have a GPS tracking device installed on my boat (picked it up in Japan a while back) ... just send it a txt message and it sends back it's location. Nice and simple, batteries last forever on it (about 6 months on standby). You can also set it up to send out its location at a preset time interval, which is handy if you are heading away for a while without your boat.

Can also use it to record co-ords if you dont have a GPS plotter, just send it a txt when you are at a good spot, and it sends you back the coords ... fantastic wee unit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 11:16am
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Southern_Jez Southern_Jez wrote:

I have a GPS tracking device installed on my boat (picked it up in Japan a while back) ... just send it a txt message and it sends back it's location. Nice and simple, batteries last forever on it (about 6 months on standby). You can also set it up to send out its location at a preset time interval, which is handy if you are heading away for a while without your boat.

Can also use it to record co-ords if you dont have a GPS plotter, just send it a txt when you are at a good spot, and it sends you back the coords ... fantastic wee unit.
Can you tell us what sort of cost these are? And does it have a running cost to be able to send text or is that some preaid setup?
And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 11:24am
sulla View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good idea for a thread bazza.
NO BETTER FRIEND
NO WORSE ENEMY
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 11:40am
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I got mine off my bro-in-law in japan for free, he installs them in cars there for security reasons.
Requires a 3g SIM card (i went with 2 degrees prepaid cause they are cheaper per txt msg) and thats about it. There are some similar ones on tradme going for around $100 give or take. My one has a beefed up battery because it is meant to be kept in difficult to access parts of a car and needs a bit more battery power to get a signal.

Running cost of them would be:
* Cost of txt msg to interrogate device
* Cost of txt msg to receive location from device
So based on my setup (2degrees), it costs me 18 cents to get the location from my device.
You only get charged when you request the location.

UNLESS you set up automatic updates, then you get charged each time your device sends you a txt. I intend to set mine up for hourly (maybe 2 hourly) updates when I head to Aussie for a couple of weeks over winter for my mothers birthday.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 11:43am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Derek F Derek F wrote:

Originally posted by Southern_Jez Southern_Jez wrote:

Can you tell us what sort of cost these are? And does it have a running cost to be able to send text or is that some preaid setup?

what he said
sounds real good
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 12:12pm
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I try to not make my self a target, by staying vague when I do a trip until after the trip, the garage opens onto the road so I don't leave the door open for to long and never leave gear in the car.

I have street light right next to the drive way and side of the house and nieghbours are awake till 4am ish most nights,

I still get up at the most subtle of noises and check them out with blunt object in tow.  We had my brothers camper van broken into outside the house a few weeks back, but it was in a blind spot of the nieghbours deck and away from the street light, has made me a little more jumpy when things go bump in the night.
A man’s comfort in life can be measured by the quality of the toilet paper he uses to wipe his arse.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 12:17pm
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A another local in my area woke up to get a drink one night in november and found 3 large blokes in the living room.

Up until then I used to sleep soundly.
A man’s comfort in life can be measured by the quality of the toilet paper he uses to wipe his arse.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 4:54pm
"Scooter" View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just remembered something I used to do with my Archery gear when I was into Hunting and 3D.
I always used Recurves or longbows,,but also owned a compound at one stage or another.
So as I still do today,,I'd hide all the good gear but leave cheap #$% like a compound bow or Jarvis Walker rods ect out in the open where said thief will spot them as soon as they step into the room.
The thought was always that we would get hit sooner or later, so giving the dumb ducks something easy "but worthless" to steal would stop them searching further and give us the chance to up grade the dog status before a return vist.
Never happened though,,,seems four dogs is enough.
Page  12>