What can we do to help protect our gear?

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 5:34pm
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Ces Ces wrote:

Re: 1) the insurance lady recommended to do this anyway for insurance purposes, now I have a folder in my computer with pics of all dive and fishing gear
2) I had thought of using a Dremel to engrave gear but then I thought that would lower the re-sale value...

Just a couple of thoughts

Just one thing with that, my insurance company said the same thing, but thye also said email it to yourself so if your computer gets nicked, you've got a copy online.
Or give a copy to a family member to look after.
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 5:40pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The gps unit sounds awesome, but it is limited to being able to access cell phone coverage..
If they tow your boat in to the middle of no where you are screwed.

At the moment, mine is fairly safe, unless they bring a hub and wheel with them...
Nearly lost a wheel when a stud broke and the rest came loose...oops..
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 9:57pm
scuzzymoto View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

found this guys- may stop a few people from stealing our prized equipment 

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 8:03am
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Shrekky Shrekky wrote:

The gps unit sounds awesome, but it is limited to being able to access cell phone coverage..
If they tow your boat in to the middle of no where you are screwed.

At the moment, mine is fairly safe, unless they bring a hub and wheel with them...
Nearly lost a wheel when a stud broke and the rest came loose...oops..
There are GPS units on the market that use satellite or radio networks to broadcast their location, but they are a lot more expensive ... Personally i think cell network coverage is pretty good if you use Telecom (90% land coverage), I just went with 2degrees (90% population coverage) cause it was cheaper to set up at the time. The devices are also small and discreet enough that they are easy to hide/disguise. I built mine into my boat when i was doing some deck repairs, you could look right at it and not know it was there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 10:03am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Southern Jez - my boat has just been stolen. When I get a replacement boat (!), I will be very interested in a gps tracker.
Could you advise the make and model of yours.
Could you advise - do you know if it will get cellphone connection through an aluminium deck?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 10:11am
Jet_ski_fisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

we got ours recovered, but not by gps but by sight.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 10:50am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hard Core Gamer - I would be interested in details on how you found it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 11:27am
Jet_ski_fisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

was in murapara need i say more :)
Page  <12