Inchiku's

Page  <1234 31>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote aquacat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 10:37pm
aquacat View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi aquacat, that is interesting, my suspicions were correct then, they are attracted to the skirt not the weight... 
my intention now is to get that metal peace infront of the skirt to flutter like the jigs of old and we should have the ultimate weapon

[/QUOTE]

Paul (Wee Tin) took some pictures of what my mate was using. He will probably post something later.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 10:42pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

Originally posted by aquacat aquacat wrote:

Lethal...as you said about sinker in front of skirt...
My mate visiting from S.Africa were fishing a 4ounch sinker in front of a normal skirts and hook inside and nailed them one after the other

Hi aquacat, that is interesting, my suspicions were correct then, they are attracted to the skirt not the weight... 
my intention now is to get that metal peace infront of the skirt to flutter like the jigs of old and we should have the ultimate weapon, in fact i cant see why you cant hook one of these up to some of Chris Wongs Zest jigs in the light weight and start nailing snapper in the harbours....
20years ago you couldnt miss getting a feed infact it was too bloody easy....

Pretty much what i was thinking lethal it is more the skirt than the weight but i think the action of the weight helps a lil on the drop i am going to rig up some of my lighter 60gram knife jigs with some squid skirts and c how they go on Wens

Any one used those Franky jigs that are out they seam to come in some nice light weights to 20gram
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 11:41pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

yeah in all fairness GG, i should point out up here in the Bay of Islands we have to innovate a bit due to no work-ups that have snapper congregating underneath them, plus the fact you get an armada of boats fishing the low foul on the GPS charts...
so the reason i need the snaps to nail these things on the drop more than guys fishing the inner Gulf...
find low foul, which there is lots of, once you have sussed that out, then find a school of bait fish, get up current and bomb them...
depending on wind you might get a couple of shots before having to relocate....
but the bigger fish i have found are taking them on the drop, hence they are well off the bottom...
personally i am enjoying the challenge and the size of the fish is good 6-12lb, considering how bloody tough it was at first when i arrived....

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wee Tin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 2:04pm
Wee Tin View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good Thread GG.  Thanks for starting it so hopefully we can consolidate and share our opinions on these lures.

Above photo is Herman's alternative.

The 4 oz bean sinker was not free swinging as it was cinched down to the Albie lure with 3 small 1/16th oz split shots.  So no toothpick required.

Tough day last Sun (08/01/12 ) with no current, drift and wind as the sunset over AKL City and we were in this type of conditions below.  Metservice had as usual suggested Gale Force warnings.  It was a pleasant evening puddling around off Sergeants in The Sands.  Should have listened to Guru Lethal who had suggested giving it away for a couple of days until the tidal flow got going.  But the "force" is strong and when Aquacat's txt arrives it was a matter of why not.

It's not often you'll see Marcelle (Aquacat) using a Rodholder.  At one stage during this session (16:00 - 21:00) the joke was maybe the 40+ Whitebait spotted hovering nervously beside the Cat could be the only fritter that we would be taking back in the chilly bin.

Herman's inventiveness was however not tolerated after the "Mud Fishing" Mepp Spinning lure he had attached in a similar style to try and generate more movement in the listless tide spun tightly instead into mine and Marcelle's braided lines.   He received the caustic bite of my tongue as that bloody contraption was promptly banned.

From examination of the results to date and in discussions with Marcelle (Aquacat), Nik (Snap) and John (PDS) we are all of the same opinion that the Skirt is a key attractant.  Although Snap also believes that the actual lure is just as important.  As even a butter knife jig a la Damo's challenge catches them when they are on the bite.

I'm also of the opinion that Inchikus are not the panacea or "Silver Bullet" for opening up Pandoras fishing box!  It's just another technique to utilise.  Most certainly they work but it's still fishing in progress as we persevere with using them in a variety of conditions and tides.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 9:12pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

agree Wee tin defiantly not Pandora's box but another thing for us to add to our tackle box's 
have found last week was not so hot for me on the inchiku's even swapped over to softie's yesterday after the metal not working.
Again pretty lazy current witch i don't think help's at all i think snapper in general like current flicked to softies and they only wanted to hit them on the drag behind the boat.
Did get a nice size thresher shark at church on a blue J bug wicked looking shark it was!
no fishing for me this week the black floppy is in the shop getting some leaks fixed Cry

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 10:55pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thing 1. I have done well on a bottomship orange/red jig with red/brown skirt. the jig is now so chewed up it is mostly silver, so the skirt is te thing? the skirt is also cheed up but sewn back together. seems to catch more than my others, but maybe that is becauise I believe in it????????
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 10:57pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thing 2. how to attache the lure to the main line? I just use uni-knot, but that means re-tying every lure change. tackle man said split ring plus a ring, but thats a pain to change. Someone above I think suggested genie clip - any good? Anyting else? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 12:32am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was using genie clips for poppering this last trip to the Sols, caught all sorts of species on poppers and small stickbaits, sebiles etc, all attached by genies, no problems at all.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MR D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 8:53pm
MR D View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

thanks for that green guy going to give mine a good go tomorrow, usually I just try 2 or 3 drops then go for the softbaits as every one else is catching except me, will try them on my softbait rod so I can cast ahead of the drift and not just dump it straight down. I have some Rock G's in 15 and 70gram red/gold and paua coloured with pink white squid. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 9:11pm
Titanium
Titanium

Used the Jarvis walker "Intruders" for the 1st time on weds when out with Billy Ho. Got kahawai, Slimey Macks, Jack macks, snapper and rat kings, the Intruders just kept the fish coming along great guns. Fishing at anchor with burley pot down, using a small baitcaster set, it was a hoot...
... I was stoked with these slimeys, great size for cut baits. I was pleased to get such a good specimen shot.

... Bill with one of the many snapper on the Intruders. This was a 40gm version.

I am also going to grab a bunch of the big 300gm ones.... that is 12oz I think in old money, make a perfect puka sinker for 100-150m waters, and being lumo and with assist hooks on them, may pick up the odd fish themselves too! ;-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MR D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 9:50pm
MR D View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Capt looks like I may be tying mine on at the wrong end I tied them up by the eye, something else to try tomorrow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 8:28am
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey guys got some of the new skirts from ocean angler what can i say wicked skirts color and the best braid and hooks.
IMHO they are the best spear skirts u can buy go get em they fit every inchiku lure not just the j bugs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phishpula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 3:01pm
Phishpula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Has anyone else tried the squid slow jigs from H & F they look the part and they swim on the plane of the head vanes if that makes sense. They dont go so they swim horizontal. Horrible trebles though. Got three snaps on one today before I put it away.
Turtle free since 2012
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 7:58pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

you talking about these Phishpula???

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phishpula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 1:36pm
Phishpula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Almost there lethal but a bigger head and more body to it. Metallic ginger paint doesnt show up too well.
Turtle free since 2012
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 2:22pm
Titanium
Titanium

Sexy little critters, ain't they. Be dynamite off the fads in the sols when the tuna are smashing the small squid....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 3:09pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

now they do look great, top half definitely looks like a squid head....
the treble is just a cheap way to rig it, also makes it easy to loose...
a two hook rig, would sure make it worth while i am sure....Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phishpula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 3:42pm
Phishpula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Apologies for the murky spa. This is me just lifting it up and down - it has a mind of its own LOL
Turtle free since 2012
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 4:05pm
Titanium
Titanium

You need to put more chlorine in that spa man, if you got tadpoles like that in there.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 5:33pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

your funny as Capt....

like the way it moves forward of itself, good little test Phishpula...
still reckon that treble has to go,LOL...

Page  <1234 31>