fishing off an inflatable

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PaulyA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fishing off an inflatable
    Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 12:21pm
PaulyA View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Ive just got a 3.4 m inflatable that will be manly used for spearfishing but will get the odd hook dropped off the side of it while im in the water...

Main concern is putting holes in it from the hooks. Apart from the obvious Im wondering what everyone's experience/tips/advice is on fishing on a inflatable boat

Ive had suggestions of putting a cover over the sides and only fishing one hook... what else do you fullas do?

also while we are on the inflatable boat buzz, 3.4m boat, manufacturing guidelines state 15hp max. im lightly thinking of a 25hp to put on the back due to the currents and weight of divers + gears + the copious amounts of fish we'll catch.... is a 25 too big or should a 15 be sufficent???

Thanks for all ya help in advance

Cheers
PaulyA
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Monsterbishi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 12:49pm
Monsterbishi View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

See if you can get hold of a off-cut of thick canvas, or ripstop nylon to use as a drape over the side of the inflatable that you're fishing off, will dissuade most hooks and more-so spines from whatever species you're hauling in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 12:56pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

pvc or hypalon i got a 3.9 lancer havent had any problems with snapper spines yet or hooks but i do softbait and net every thing may b u need a lil bigger boat mines got a 30hp but max 40hp dont think i would go under a 25hp motor im 110kg and with 3 guys the 30 is prop at its max to still be able to keep up a good speed but with two she flies all so thinking about makeing some drapes for the side while i am fishing 
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 1:23pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

your'e far more likely to get a puncture from a fish spine than a hook. snapper, tarakihi are deadly, as are trevally including the anal vent spine. use a landing net if you have the room, or make sure its well hooked before lifting over. drape over extra pvc or a door matt if you can be bothered. pvc is very easy to repair and lighter, but not as tough as hyperlon. if a slow leak is found underneath in a spot which hard to patch like right next to a skid pad (PVC), then you can unscrew the valve and pour in acrylic latex available from Incept. get advice first though. patching is preferable of course. thats my  2 cents on PVC.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote like_to_strike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 3:14pm
like_to_strike View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Recurve hook or no offset would solve it wouldn't it? Also been looking into inflatables.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Monsterbishi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 3:18pm
Monsterbishi View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by like_to_strike like_to_strike wrote:

Recurve hook or no offset would solve it wouldn't it? Also been looking into inflatables.

Think of it this way, if the hook has a pointy end, it can puncture the boat...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terry66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 4:09pm
terry66 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

han two punctures in mine from snap spines, landing net is the go!! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 5:19pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Obviously dont let fish onto any soft pontoon or soft bottom. Bring fish aboard and straight into a bin. I had an inflated floor and I think a Kahawai spine punctured it. Another thing to worry about - your knife.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 6:40pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I had a 2.7m inflatable. I thought the weight of the motor was a major factor. I had a 8hp Yamaha which was the lightest 8 I could find. With tiller steer, you have to sit towards the back. Also, the fuel tank has to go at or near the back. I thought it was rather stern heavy, so it was hard to get it planing - needed heaps of speed, which is not usually feasible in a small boat, because the very low sides and the lightness of the boat, makes it dangerous (and very wet!). I got a tiller extension handle, which helped as I could sit further forward. Even so, in a 3.4m, I feel a 30hp or 25hp would be too heavy. 15 would be fine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PaulyA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 10:29am
PaulyA View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi and thanks for all the advice.
Material is duratex. thinking something to drap over the outside would be the go with landing net and straight into bin. old rubber car mats sounds bloody brilliant too.
Recurved hooks.. could reduce the chance of hooking ya boat but still sharp. guess every little bit of prevention reducing my chance of having to swim home

re outboard, 15 is the stated max but a max outboard weight of 55kg. which i suspect i can get a 4 or 2 stroke 25 within the weight...????
Opinions here???

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bonus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 1:04pm
bonus View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've fished off my 4.7 Achilles for the last two years.  We have had one hook up due to muppetry with a kingfish on a popper (bloody tri-hooks)  I have had a couple of leaks from snapper spines.

I have access to heaps of jute sacks, but tend not to take them as I now try to dissuade any passengers from putting anything pointy or sharp anywhere near the pontoons(whether or not they are protected).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alan syme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 8:26pm
alan syme View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

had 2 inflatables, hypalon is tough, other materials no so tough ans quite easy to rupture, get a repair kit as others have said already. i got a stingray barb through mine, mistake with a longline trying to get a photo of it. dive gear weighs heaps, especially when wet, get a 30hp if possible. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bay Marine Electronics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2011 at 1:04pm
Bay Marine Electronics View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I used to have an old surfclub rescue boat, fantastic with a 30hp for 3 guys and dive gear. it was hyperlon and we managed to poke a gurnad spike through it. wasn't an issue tho, it wasn't a big hole, we just patched it up when we were done for the day. we also had a prop guard, which didnt seem to drop the performance much but was a nice for peace of mind when there were guys in the water.
We are doing a fishfinder combo for small boats now, everything you might need in one box, makes it simple and its a great sounder for this size boat.
http://www.baymarineelectronics.co.nz/product_details.asp?id=937

0800 BAY MARINE www.baymarineelectronics.co.nz