Warkworth Cement Works

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dorsal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warkworth Cement Works
    Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 8:24pm
Dorsal View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey bit of a newbie here getting back into coarse fishing. Spent the day at my local lake in Warkworth arrassing the perch with my spinner with to no avail. When I was packing up my gear beside the lake I saw what were either HUUGE rudd or goldfish in a school crusing past. Was a bit baffled as they were dark bronze/brown looking with large scales and had big eyes on them. I've caught plenty of small rudd before (not from in here) so I know what they look like, but I didnt think feral goldfish schooled or hung aroung the surface. They must have been a good 3lbs whatever they were. Anyone fished here in the past much?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2011 at 1:15pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

More likely  Rudd also goldfish will soon revert back their natural bright olive colours which are very different to Rudd so almost certainly them. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dorsal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2011 at 6:00pm
Dorsal View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers man. Dam, they were big. Hopefully its nice and cold this weekend so the swimmers bugger off and I can have a solid crack at them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2011 at 7:24am
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have seen them in some venues where they would be 3lb especially where they get a free feed from the families who feed the ducks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2011 at 9:29am
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Grass Carp maybe theres a few in there,that place is so deep with these long frond type weed covering the bottom making it a challenge to fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dorsal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2011 at 10:12am
Dorsal View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Deep alright. The American army in the region dumped all there vehicles and ammunition etc on the bottom when they bailed after the 2nd world war so yeah theres couple of snags in there. The old fulla that used to man the place told me there was rudd, tench perch and carp in there. I took the carp bit with plenty of skepticism, but maybe there is a few grassies in there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2011 at 8:14pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Theres Carp in there like the Old guy said and some big Tench the best time to fish it is during summer at night time when you can get the fish to feed of one of the clay shelfs close to the bank.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2011 at 9:19pm
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I don't know what they were but one day I saw about 3 fish about 1-2kg size sitting on the bottem in about 4m of water. I thort they were trout at the time, but then put it down to tench. I also saw one rise up to the surface one day about 1kg before ducking back down. The only other fish I have seen in there is what I think are Rudd, from the surface they look like a stiped bronze and dark brown/grey colour. Caught a few on the fly rod one day just little ones on a black wolly bugger. I have also done some free diving there, it is a very spooky place that goes down in shelves, The first of which is about 3m, second about 6, third about 9 and at that point it looked to go down from there, god knows how far but I chicken ****ted out at that stage!!! I think in the deep point its about 25 metres, heaps of rumers going around sayign 50-80m but thats bull cruds IMO. Know some guys that actually tanked it one day and they said that you get to a certain point and then the vis shuts down completly, then silt, then soft mud, then thicker and thicker untill god knows what. Oh, and heaps of eels. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dorsal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 9:35pm
Dorsal View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Tomatron Tomatron wrote:

The only other fish I have seen in there is what I think are Rudd, from the surface they look like a stiped bronze and dark brown/grey colour. Caught a few on the fly rod one day just little ones on a black wolly bugger.
Those will be the little perch - theres no shortage of them. Come to think of it, in all the hours I've spent scanning the surface while I've been fishing and swimming I've NEVER seen a surface breach of any sort, makes me wont if the rudd are in fact non existant. The main picnic/swimming area right in front is where I've caught tench before and very close in. Just make sure you stick to corn etc or the eels will have a field day. Hmmm a night fish doesnt sound like a bad idea for next time, I have a feeling its guarded by security thought
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tinca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 9:06pm
Tinca View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

A couple of years ago, I fought my way through the overgrowth down the far end, and peering into the water there were two big carp that would have been close to double figures basking in the shallows close to a reed bed. They had no colouration and largish scales, so could have been Grass Carp, although they looked deeper and stockier than Grass Carp. However, looking into water at an angle can be deceptive, so I couldnt say. Never did get back there to fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 11:28pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi all...  I grew up in WW.. I mostly fish saltwater...  but I did fish the cementworks once as a boy... almost 30 years back... (shyt time flies )     I caught tench..  
I took my son down for a look last weekend as we have moved back to the area recently.

The water looked pretty bad...  cant remember it like that all those years back...  there was a white foamy froth around the edge of the lake...  looked like algea as well...  

So... I guess, my questions are...  

Has anybody fished it this last year? and is it worth the effort?
What species are there??  any perch?  rudd?

If anybody has any general info I would be greatful...  

Cheers J
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Essexkiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 6:12pm
Essexkiwi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'd +1 the opinion that the large scaled fish will be carp.

The Tench are likely to get to a good size though, used to see plenty of big buggers cruising the Waitangi River up from Haruru Falls.

Quote there was a white foamy froth around the edge of the lake...

Wouldn't be concerned about that, this time of year most likely to be from pollen.  Lake Taupo shoreline foams up bad when the pollen is coming off the pines like smoke but it's harmless.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 7:13pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Quite a cool old photo I found just gives you some idea of the depth of the place ,what lurks in those deep channels who knows.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DocTomFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 1:28pm
DocTomFish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Jeez, that is deep. I won't be going to reach the bottom anytime soon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Owenpeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2022 at 4:22pm
Owenpeli View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I went fishing there today, saw a tench probably around 40cm but Accidentally scared it and didn’t see it after that. I also saw eels and caught my first there perch which made me really happy as I’m trying to build up my species list at the moment if you have any info on what other species you think are in there and where to catch grass carp in Auckland please reply
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2022 at 5:41pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Caught a nice grass carp at Parkinson’s Lake, near Waiuku
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 8:18am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What bait/method did you use?
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 1:12pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Funnily enough I was fly fishing and it was on a buzzer fly hard on the bottom - I think the carp just sucked it up accidentally!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Owenpeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 4:25pm
Owenpeli View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

how big do you mean by big tench?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Owenpeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 4:33pm
Owenpeli View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

by the way I was just using a small minnow type softbait lure and also caught one of the perch using a worm livebait, they were small perch but they were coming right up to shore probably hunting the minnows and common bully’s. Also how big do the perch there get?
Page  12>