Any home brewers?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dutchy_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any home brewers?
    Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 6:36pm
Dutchy_fisher View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have great interest in both fishing and my home brew beer.....

Very interested to know if I share these two interests Wink

I make a Corona with a twist (little more hoppy and flavor) and a Newcastle ale (still perfecting this)

always keen for a fish! 0220901730

http://www.theworldwidefishingclub.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 6:47pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I make wine and drambue
use to make beer years ago but found I had too much in stock so stopped

love the setup
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dutchy_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 6:57pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks. Yeah, I get 1 of those kegs every 2 weeks and i never get a chance to use my 2nd keg or tap.... flaties and nabours like to 'help me out' dont think ill stock up anytime soon unless i get another temp controled fridge for fermenting.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 8:16pm
1Daz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've only started making beer in the last 4-5 months but been making spirits for a few years now. The mexicana is my favourite i've made so far.
Go the Warriors!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 8:24pm
C A View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

my old man does it hes the president of the home brewers and winemakers association nz,got top beer in the nationals a few years ago which is pretty good effort!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dutchy_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 8:33pm
Gold
Gold

yeah that is great pack if you buy it as the box pack (and can control your fermenting temp for special yeast) I recommend Cascade and Goldings hops they are super easy with those packs and make a world of difference :)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 8:39pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

been brewing for about 3 months and love it . would be keen to talk about brews . coopers real ale plus lagers , adding lactose and nutrient salts but feel i need to lower the lactose . 100grams but thinking of 60-70 grams your thoughts . plus your special ingredients. thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dutchy_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 8:41pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by connor-gistat connor-gistat wrote:

my old man does it hes the president of the home brewers and winemakers association nz,got top beer in the nationals a few years ago which is pretty good effort!

WOW!!! more than just a good effort! must have a pretty sweet all grain setup!! I am in the process of setting up the all-grain side (single tire) very slow progress on that project tho :(

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 8:43pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

have they got a web site?

I emailed the Auckland one but no reply as of yet
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dutchy_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 9:01pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by lingee lingee wrote:

been brewing for about 3 months and love it . would be keen to talk about brews . coopers real ale plus lagers , adding lactose and nutrient salts but feel i need to lower the lactose . 100grams but thinking of 60-70 grams your thoughts . plus your special ingredients. thanks

Ive never used coopers, i like to use the enhancement pack and try all the different hops. boil in pallets and at different times. yum. or just the old teabag hops if you dont like a bitter beer and dont want to boil the malt.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dutchy_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 9:18pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by 1Daz 1Daz wrote:

I've only started making beer in the last 4-5 months but been making spirits for a few years now. The mexicana is my favourite i've made so far.
Originally posted by Dutchy_fisher Dutchy_fisher wrote:

yeah that is great pack if you buy it as the box pack (and can control your fermenting temp for special yeast) I recommend  Cascade and Goldings Hops they are super easy with those packs and make a world of difference :)

Sorry got confused with Mexican Cerveza

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jonny rotten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 9:27pm
Jonny rotten View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i have been brewing for awhile now but only with the kit set beers and a fermenter....would like to get into craft beers starting with a wort......but would like to watch someone with experience first.
Rocking the CROCS since 2011
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nebula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 9:33pm
Nebula View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi would it make a difference  as to what kind of water you used? like tap water,filtered bottled water,  filtered mineral water? i dont brew but a bro is thinking bout it and thats a  wicked set up there dutchyThumbs Up
When it's all over, it's not who you were. It's whether you made a difference.
- Layzie Bone
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dutchy_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 9:34pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Jonny rotten Jonny rotten wrote:

i have been brewing for awhile now but only with the kit set beers and a fermenter....would like to get into craft beers starting with a wort......but would like to watch someone with experience first.

do you want to buy an unhopped malt and boil all the hops in? or go all grain and make your own wort? or a prehopped malt and add flavor and extra bitter hops?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dutchy_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 9:38pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Nebula Nebula wrote:

Hi would it make a difference  as to what kind of water you used? like tap water,filtered bottled water,  filtered mineral water? i dont brew but a bro is thinking bout it and thats a  wicked set up there dutchyThumbs Up

Thanks, Makes a HUGE difference...... i almost spent $500 on a filter..... (ended up buying a cheap one but still want the big boy) I moved to wellington, made 2 brews (takes 4 weeks, put one down every 2 weeks) tasted the 1st one and threw out the both of them.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jonny rotten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 9:41pm
Silver
Silver

id like to go all grain and make my own wort but might be easier to start with a unhopped malt and then hop that ***** up yo!!!

ive been looking for a wort kettle but was thinking of getting a keg and cutting the top out 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dutchy_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 9:51pm
Gold
Gold

Yup the kegs the way! make a good cooling system though..... Immersion chiller works really well. I got 3 spare kegs if you want some. its rather expensive if you want single tire..... 2 food grade high temp pumps... a sh*tload of fittings.... a false bottom.... food grade tubing..... really adds up Cry I havnt finished mine yet. 3 tire is a lot cheaper but i like to do something once and do it right.

I just use prehopped and add some finishing hops that i like (for my corona) still experimenting with the newcastle

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jonny rotten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 10:01pm
Silver
Silver

nice.... i have been brewing up lots of draughts they seen to come out best for me but was thinking of trying a nut brown ale next......maybe you should start a brewing thread in the kitchen section.
id be been on seeing some kettle pics when our done and the process  Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 10:02pm
C A View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Barrie Barrie wrote:

have they got a web site?

I emailed the Auckland one but no reply as of yet

he said yep buts quite old, can get you an email address to get in contact with the auckland branch if you want??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dutchy_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 10:33pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Jonny rotten Jonny rotten wrote:

nice.... i have been brewing up lots of draughts they seen to come out best for me but was thinking of trying a nut brown ale next......maybe you should start a brewing thread in the kitchen section.
id be been on seeing some kettle pics when our done and the process  Thumbs Up

hmmmm yeah might ask a moderator to move this thread. (didnt see the kitchen section)

I dont think my all grain will be done for a while as there are no complaints about my current brew which is very cheap, fast, and easy to make. also want to go for bigger quantities, like 50L kegging (hence so many extra 50L kegs) could find a similar pic online as to what i was going for? 

but basically a 3 burner under a custom keg stand on wheels with 3 kegs on top side by side, with a line going out near the bottom and a temp gauge (no need for line in top as i would put my filtered water in) that is my hot water. the mash has a line in and out with temp gauge and false bottom, all insulated also with a burner incase the temp drops a little. my kettle is the same really, line in and out, temp gauge with 3 burner

Page  12>