Hakula Lodge - Vavau

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hakula Lodge - Vavau
    Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 6:04pm
skidder View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you are considering Vavau Tonga as a game fishing destination, then you cannot go wrong choosing Hakula Lodge in Vavau islands of the Kingdom of Tonga. This lodge is run by Jeff and Janine who can provide you a complete package deal incl accommodation right at the waters edge. You'll have your own self contained unit with private deck and free use of canoe and snorkeling gear.
The game fishing is unreal and I have caught blue marlin and other species on every visit to Vavau so to me it's almost guaranteed that you will not be disappointed. Imagine while NZ shivers in the grips of winter , this fishing paradise awaits only a short flight away, albeit incl a scenic local domestic flight from the mainland to Vavau. Plenty of restaurants and bars in the local township give you a variety of dining choices and there are several ATM's so it's easy to get the local currency.
Jeff can arrange game fishing out on Hakula, which is a very reliable and seaworthy charter boat. I have been out numerous days on Hakula and sometimes in rough conditions but have never felt unsafe as she handles very well in Jeffs capable hands. 
Expect to catch sailfish as you exit the habour and then get set for Blue Marlin, Mahimahi and Wahoo hitting the lures....
For your partner there is whale watching/swimming, local markets, cafe's etc and outings can be organised by Janine. 

For some on land excitement hire the carts and tear around the local villages and dirt roads.

I was fortunate on my latest trip to be part of the winning Team Hakula in the IGFA 20th Tongan International Billfish Tournament. Here are some pics:

Your private deck

a few steps down to the water....

the fine ship Hakula..

looking back up the harbour to town.....

a Blue caught on Hakula....tournament winning boat !!

your hosts Jeff and Janine...

Honestly if you want to catch marlin then contact Jeff at FishTonga Hakula Lodge, www.fishtonga.com  email [email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 6:29pm
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Seconded its a top place to stay for top fishing and J & J are great hosts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 8:11pm
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Take the fully catered option. They really look after you there
I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 8:58pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Money ?  how muchy around about ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 8:28am
skidder View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

BB just send Jeff an email. It works out cheaper than spending money chasing stickfaces around in cold water, (which I have done so have supported local charters) I also use airdollars with Air NZ for the international flights and mainland accomodation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bricep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 9:02pm
bricep View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey mate whats the best time to go over?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 4:41pm
skidder View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Anytime .....depends if you want to target particular species....contact Jeff at Hakula for best times.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 5:16pm
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

End of June, beginning of July is good. Between seasons should give you settled weather
I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PACIFIC FISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 12:32pm
PACIFIC FISH View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I heard from one of my friend that Jeff got cancer. This is a very sad story for our industry here in Tonga if it is true.