Z-Mans compared with the Opposition

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z-Mans compared with the Opposition
    Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 3:31pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Along with many others, I was keen to see how the Z-Mans went in 5" jerkshad configuration.  Mahiman was kind enough to send me some, and some Secret Sauce as soon as it arrived in the market.

I've done quite a few trials, including comparisons by alternating casts on 2 identical rod/reel/line set-ups.  Fished from kayak, dinghy, 580 Stabi, and launch, in depths from wash to 60+ m.

Summary, so far (this is just a progress report):

1.  One thing I can't really decide about is whether the Secret Sauce makes a consistent positive difference; for me, at this stage, I'm inclined to think not.

2. Durability is indeed unsurpassed. One Smoky Shad has so far caught 27 snapper, including 3 over 20lb (the smallest of those 3 being the current BOISC snapper pinfish at 9.24kg).

3. Generally, seem to work best fished very actively, but away from the wash. Have caught some in the wash, but not all that many.

4. Surprise: work better than the competition in murky/muddy water. I wonder if that's a result of the UV reflectant mentioned in one of Paul's posts on a forum thread.

5. A real bonus off the kayak because of ease of handling and durability. Shame about the wash fishing, because I do much more wash fishing from my yak than from the boats.

6.  I think they benefit a lot from the very wiggly tail action, and the body being so flexible.  This is aided by my using 1/0 hooks with all 5" jerkshads.

7.  Just as for Gulp!s, my experience so far is that the more I use them, the less difference I think the precise colours make.  Just generally - bright colour for bright conditions, dull for dull.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Plastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 5:02pm
Mr Plastic View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

My best is 30 fish from a newpenny shad. I cant fault them really. I was a gulp fan but if your fishing on a budget then go the zmans. I still carry a range because i find it depends on the day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 5:11pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

are you using braid or nylon? do they work without the sauce?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 5:26pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

1.  Braid.  (BOISC has changed its rules, so you can weigh snapper, trevally or kahawai caught on braid as from 1 July.  So mine was their first-ever first braid-caught pinfish.)

2.  They work without the sauce.  (Mind you, I did catch fish on Slams, too.  Just not many...)
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Eastender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 7:24pm
Eastender View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've switched over to the z-mans as my go to bait, although I do keep a pot of the gulp squid vicious if things are slow, I'm in a hurry, or wash fishing.

They are by far and away more economical than the gulps, and you have to catch alot of fish to wear one out. I'm sure my local tackle shop is pretty pissed off at the moment, having missed out hundreds of my $!LOL

The smoky shad colour seems to be the pick of the range as it stands. The lizards only seem to catch me KW's.

My only concern with the switch from gulp is the biodegradibilty issue, but I guess the trade-off is in using one bait verses one pottle.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 7:36pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Love the Zman lizards, at first found them to be not as good as the gulp lizards which i was fishing on 1/4 onz jig heads. Chucked one over the side and it floated so went up to 5/8ths jig head made all the difference.
Will be using the 5 inch Zmans as my go to soft baits for deeper water and high current areas. 1st try of the pink & green one resulted in a 16 pounder.

Jury's still out on the secret sauce.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 9:38pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

keen on trying them. correct me if im wrong but im guessing the zmans are not quite as effective as gulp but still catch plenty but big selling factor is that you can use the same one on multiples of fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 9:38pm
Titanium
Titanium

go to colour?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 9:49pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Ah, colours.

The more I do, the less certain I am.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 9:53pm
Titanium
Titanium

haha, pretty much the movement that gets the strike eh? that why they work without the secret sauce. how do they compare to gulp in the water? know they are very wriggly. but are they too wriggly? ie too much action?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BBFisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 10:11pm
BBFisha View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Fishing Addiction Fishing Addiction wrote:

keen on trying them. correct me if im wrong but im guessing the zmans are not quite as effective as gulp but still catch plenty but big selling factor is that you can use the same one on multiples of fish

In my experience thus far I think that comment is pretty fair. Personally I like the ZMan but when the fishing has been tough I'm still catching more on Gulps. Im probably spending more, but on pure catch of a single fish on a single softbait, I'd grab a Gulp first, if I was fishing one single softbait for a whole session and once it was gone, it's gone, I'd reach for the ZMan every time :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skidoggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 7:22am
skidoggg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

zman pink grub be my fav , lost count of how many fish from one but it was over 3 trips during last springs workups... gulps get chomped in half too easy ...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 9:02am
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Smoky Shad Zmans and a 2/0 hook.  You will not look back. 

Also 5 inch zmans stretch to 81cm with out damage. Try that with any other brand!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 10:17am
otter View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

a pice of cloth will work in a workup situation....  go to is still gulp  when it is all on switch to Z mann
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 10:21am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by GSPOT GSPOT wrote:

Also 5 inch zmans stretch to 81cm with out damage. Try that with any other brand!

Strike King will do that for ya too
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 12:21pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good baits
Those zmans but gulp is and prob all ways b my go to bait
Secret sauce not to fond of a Lil bit sticky for my liking and sticks to every thing even ur grips
Smells good though but not a big fan

Need to load up on some more zmans before summer
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 2:06pm
bite View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

im a bait fisher from way back  but want to try soft baits, do  have a cheap outfit that  will proubly do the job , loaded with 10lb braid
, i tryed softs, got some frees given to me ,  when they first came out  but was using nilon line , and only picked up a couple of under sizers ,
 and the guys boats  i fish outside with are die hard bait fishermen so Cry have,nt really had the opertuity to really try out softs in the siuations they seam to excel  in ,

so where in tauranga  can i find z mans , whos got them   are they selling them on trade me
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 2:13pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Try Top Catch Tauranga, cnr Mirrilees Rd and Cross Rd, Sulphur Point.

On their website, Top Catch look to have some sort of deal on Secret Sauce.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 2:25pm
bite View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

know tc  will have a look next time im in that way thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 3:06pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by PJay PJay wrote:

1.  Braid.  (BOISC has changed its rules, so you can weigh snapper, trevally or kahawai caught on braid as from 1 July.  So mine was their first-ever first braid-caught pinfish.)

2.  They work without the sauce.  (Mind you, I did catch fish on Slams, too.  Just not many...)

Thanks for that, good to see BOI have moved into the 21st century with the braid, if they got to braid for marlin I will join the club.
Page  123 4>