'Post your rod' Picture thread

Page  <1 6789>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 12:23am
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Looks good, any reason why you chose a mn for the first guide instead of a kw?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LouisJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 7:07am
LouisJ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ummm, not exactly 100% sure there, but was following valuable advice from Men In black who said to do the MN first. I think it may be something to do with either keeping the line up and off the grip when loaded up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2013 at 12:22am
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Fair enough, I didn't think that there was much, if any height difference between a MN and a KW though.
I am just finishing up a 1-3kg acid wrapped baitcast rod, I will post up some pics when it's done
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LouisJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2013 at 6:50am
LouisJ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yep, you're right there, there is a height difference with the K's being about 2 mm taller in size 16 compared to the MN's. The other thing could be that the MN has a flat/vertical profile whereas the K has a slanted profile. That 1-3kg rod sound sweet, can't wait to see the pics!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2013 at 11:23pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Here are a few pics of another 7' 24kg LBG rod I built for a mate, it's a Calstar GF700XH, under bound and triple overbound with a nice and clean black and silver.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LouisJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 11:29am
LouisJ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Tidy rod! Very nice work mate, what pen did yo use to write on the blank?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 12:13pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I can't remember exactly, I will look when I get home tonight, it's a double ended one with gold on 1 end and silver on the other, it's not ideal but it gets the job done
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 6:48pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Louis, It's a "Zig" branded pen called a "painty" with gold on one end and silver on the other
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LouisJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 7:54pm
LouisJ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cool, your one seems to be a bit finer than the CRC paint pen that I use. The CRC one has good paint? and colours, but the tip is quite large on smaller blanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 8:00pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

It does have a nice fine tip, the harder you push the tip the thicker it gets, I need to work on my handwriting a bit though!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 9:20am
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

was asked by my Dads partner to find him a new rod for Xmas. 

After 52 years milking and 40 as an AB technician his shoulder has been giving him a bit of jip and he was wanting a lighter more forgiving rod.

So I decided to build him one.  

This was my 2nd rod build and i am well chuffed with the result. 

Blank is a Kilwell Speed Jig.  7foot long and parabolic in nature. 
Guilds Fuji KW
Reel Seat is a Fuji Palm.
Metalic blue and Silver underbinds with Black Over Binds.

I also added a Tiger Wrap between the fore grip and the first guild.  Photo (last one) does not show it but it looks awesome.  Shimmers and is holographic.  Will have to take a video and post tonight. 

Custom EVA Grips and a little bit of Bling.

Designed to match his Blue Avet HX.

Now if anyone who knows me or my Dad spills the beans watch out!!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LouisJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 4:13pm
LouisJ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Very cool, what/where are those trim rings from on either end of the reel seat?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 4:16pm
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Everything from Mudhole except blank.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 7:38pm
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hey fellas i have acquired a couple of blanks over winter, has anyone been building through the winter months or is it too cold?

keen to see some more photos for some ideas.

cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 8:08pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive just finished a 10' 4wt flyrod, will try and get some pics up soon.
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bryce_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 2:46pm
bryce_s View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Third rod that I've built, this ones a 7foot something trout jig rod.  Big thanks to MeninBlack for the blanks and Mike @ FullonFishing for everything else.

Here's a pic of my setup:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 3:34pm
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

By Softbait rod needed a spruce up so threw this on it. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 1:09pm
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Finished my first ever rod building project a couple of weeks back.. a rebuild of an old school kilwell jellytip (might be a black jellytip??) stripped it down and repainted the blank, put some shrink wrap on the grips and replaced the guides. Finished product turned out ok although my wrapping was pretty rough and ready, the expoy isn’t super smooth and the guides aren’t dead straight! Certainly made me appreciate how tricky it is, and how skilled some of the rod builders on this forum are!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 1:56pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My latest build, Epic 686 Fastglass II Fly rod.

8'6" 4 piece blank finished in Salsa
Epic reel seat
Epic flor grade cork with fighting butt
Snake brand guides wrapped in translucent orange silk thread

Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 3:47pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great looking rod, the orange blank and translucent wraps with a thin black line look really good.
Page  <1 6789>