'Post your rod' Picture thread

Page  <1234 9>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Griffo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2011 at 8:27pm
Griffo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

New stickbait rod hot off the press....

-Kilwell GT PE8 blank 7'6"
-Fuji K type Alconite Guides
-Alps reel seat and gimbal
-Hypalon grips

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2011 at 8:33pm
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

That is a mighty fine looking rod , the thread work looks great .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 10:30pm
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That is sweet Griffo. Got a reel to match up with the green?
Stu
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Griffo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 8:15am
Griffo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers fullas.

Stu, I don't have any green reel in mind... actually just liked the green masking tape i used on the last rod to setup the guides so ran with it on this one

Mark
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 1:08pm
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wicked, what blank is this is it part of their snake skin series. Am wanting to build up somthing similar but not too sre of the rod actions, how would you rate this one? Your one looks great!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Griffo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 3:09pm
Griffo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Tomatron Tomatron wrote:

Wicked, what blank is this is it part of their snake skin series. Am wanting to build up somthing similar but not too sre of the rod actions, how would you rate this one? Your one looks great!

Cheers Tomatron.... it is the live fibre snakeskin 2pc PE8 blank. 

Blank action is very slow (parabolic) and swims a stick bait nicely and you really have to give it an aggressive sweep to overpower the lure and make it surface/cavitate. Tip is alot softer and more forgiving than my Van Stall GT popper rod but not as soft as some of the specialized stick bait blanks out there. Rod action is a really subjective thing and hard to describe.... but ideal for what I want it for. Combination stick bait and small face poppers and can take a hefty drag setting.

Mark
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2011 at 9:48am
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Here's a Jigstar 350 and parts I got off Chris wong some time ago. Finally got a reel (Trini 40 N) for it a couple of weeks ago so had to get my A in gear before christmas.

Used a couple of tips I got off here for making this one.
1. Used 1 small cable tie per guide to hold guides while I sorted out guide spacings. Much much much better than tape.
2. One part of the flexcoat had crystalised and made my last coat of epoxy all lumpy. As an act of desperation I hit it with alight touch of a gas burner and Voila they all went away and flexcoat went smooth as.

The trickiest part of this build is I've never even used let alone built this style of jig rod before so it was a case of figure it out as I went.

The stripper guide is back to front because the line seemed to be smoother when the guide ring was just 10 mm closer to the reel. Never had to do that before.

Not the flashest photos but anyway here's how it came out.

www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2011 at 10:51pm
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great work, nice tidy rod indeed that looks tops. Iv got a spin and OH 250g on the go. I got those pre-made grips too which saves heaps of time and effort. Also got my hands on a PE8 from kilwell. Now to  re - guide 6 of my mates rods first .... ! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Griffo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 12:14pm
Griffo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great looking rod there Bob... 
How do those palm reel seats feel to use for jigging?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 1:41pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

WHAT!  NO ACID????Evil Smile
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 4:50pm
Platinum
Platinum

No Acid here, that's soooooooolast year!Wink
Thanks Griffo, I have no idea about how that palm seat will go. As I said, I've never ever used a jig rod like this before so I've built this one almost completely blind!
I'll have an answer in about 2 weeks tho!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Panga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 5:49pm
Panga View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by ChrisW ChrisW wrote:

WHAT!  NO ACID????Evil Smile
LOLLOLLOL
I ONLY FISH HANDMADE KOJAK CUSTOM RODS.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 9:12pm
Silver
Silver

Very nice , I like the colours , very interesting guide train design .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 6:04pm
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah interesting guide train indeed, some might say I moved on from acid to extacy or maybe even "P"! I just used the number and size of guides that Chris recomended and said that Kojak had been using. I  figured why argue, and then set the distances to give as mooth a line curve against a loaded blank as I could get.

I won't get a chance to bend it until I head East on boxing day, I can't wait......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Toad2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 8:00pm
Toad2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Second ever rod I made and first time doing any real threadwork. Spent an entire week of intense experimenting with thread patterns and just had enough thread to do the rod. Quite pleased with how it turn out.
Used a Kiwell livefibre GTVTW100GM, fuji alconite guides and a silicone tip I think, fuji seat. 

Last moment before piccy, cat decided to be part of the decorations in the picLOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 9:11pm
Silver
Silver

For your second rod you have done real great , well done .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 9:31am
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Finished off a 250g spin the other day which will hopefully get some use today over Leigh Reef.

Excuse the photos being not 100%. Fuji SIC MNSG guides, H22 reel seat and 22mm gimble. Prowrap threads and pro-cote finish.

The rod feels nice with the new biomaster, can't wait to give her a whirl!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 9:37am
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work there Tomatron. Rods are bloody hard to photograph aren't they?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Griffo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 9:22am
Griffo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

That looks the shiz Tomatron! Really like the stealth looking thread colours. Is that the Talon 250g jig blank? What did you use to write on the blank below the stripper guide?

Nice work.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 9:40am
Silver
Silver

Now that is a very nice looking rod , I like what you have done with the split grip , Griffo a very good pen for writing on blanks is a --uni Posca  . 2mm tip pen , they come in a range of colours .
Page  <1234 9>