Kiwis are Boring....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gtrbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kiwis are Boring....
    Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 12:17pm
gtrbaby View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

dont worry - I am one !!!!

just an observtion of the lack of "flair"that the guys I build rods for are after - if you look at some of the cusotm rods built around t6he world - they are detailed, colourful and actually interesting.

people ask me to build them rods here in NZ - so I ask "what colours do you want?" about 80% of them say "just black".......boring!!!!

A mate of mine said " can you make it look like my Shimano one" ...... I told him to go buy another Shimano as it would be cheaper and look the same.....

why are us Kiwis so reseverd when it comes to one off individual things???  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 12:21pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cos we don't like standing out from the pack. It all goes back to the tall poppy syndrome, which in turn goes back to our forefathers trying to avoid the class structure they escaped from mother england.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 12:33pm
pure--lure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds like the may not know exactly what there options are?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gtrbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 12:36pm
gtrbaby View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by keep on fishing keep on fishing wrote:

Sounds like the may not know exactly what there options are?

nah - they know.....I show them over 50 different colours in the threads I have - bu still black rains supreme..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 12:50pm
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Not just NZ , here in Auss too , some times , I get sick of making the same rod trim [ just like you made for my mate ] arrr , I am working on a nice one now for a bloke , bit more colour but not to flash . OK its your rod .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nebula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 1:02pm
Nebula View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

its like the ladies say once u go black u never go backLOL i like what bigfishbob saidThumbs Upeach to their own i guess
When it's all over, it's not who you were. It's whether you made a difference.
- Layzie Bone
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 2:22pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The rod is what its all about it defines angling and I totally agree about the boring looking part. I once got told my Xzoga's look like toys which I found funny and weird because toys are cool!LOL But its about the feel of a rod if you don't like it or its plain crap it don't matter what it looks like.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dohboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 4:46pm
Dohboy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I always try and talk people out of getting just black or black and gold, if you go with silver guides you can add colour very easily

www.acewash.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cal25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 5:14pm
cal25 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Dohboy Dohboy wrote:

I always try and talk people out of getting just black or black and gold, if you go with silver guides you can add colour very easily

He speaks the truth

me - "all black thread, I want it all black"

altho, with big ass chunky silver fujis and gold reel seat/gimbal would look pretty cool.....

I went with the little amount of silver and gold thread too tho.  LOL
Hard work beats talent, if talent doesnt work hard
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kaeo Fella bay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 6:14pm
Kaeo Fella bay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by gtrbaby gtrbaby wrote:

just an observtion of the lack of "flair"that the guys I build rods for are after - if you look at some of the cusotm rods built around t6he world - they are detailed, colourful and actually interesting.

people ask me to build them rods here in NZ - so I ask "what colours do you want?" about 80% of them say "just black".......boring!!!!

A mate of mine said " can you make it look like my Shimano one" ...... I told him to go buy another Shimano as it would be cheaper and look the same.....

Maybe coz we just wana catch fish not look pretty.. leave that for the missus
Need to throw a line in the fish tank just to remember what it feels like
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kinaspike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 10:17pm
kinaspike View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Love going into this shop... Not boring at all! http://www.reelrods.co.nz/index.html
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 10:45pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Each to his own mate..Beauty is in the eye of the beholderWink
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 9:20am
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I don't want to speak poorly of my customers. I give the customer what they want and I build mine the way I want. I guess you hit the nail on the head LBDThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Standard Deluxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 9:30am
Standard Deluxe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Bring on the bling!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 10:01am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by kinaspike kinaspike wrote:

Love going into this shop... Not boring at all! http://www.reelrods.co.nz/index.html

LOL,  just had a look and saw a couple of mine on thereThumbs Up great rod builder and a good buggar to boot!!
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 11:40am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Badfish Badfish wrote:

I don't want to speak poorly of my customers. I give the customer what they want and I build mine the way I want. I guess you hit the nail on the head LBDThumbs Up
I think so...I am boring...I like blue!LOL
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 8:58pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by gtrbaby gtrbaby wrote:

i agree mate i love the stuff the boys do on bloody decks i love doing thread art not into weaving but have done a few wicked things with threads dont think i can build a rod with out some threa art are u in auckland may b we could t up and so some crazy stuff on some rods
i reckon there are a lot of of diffrent items and things to implament into rods

kojak did some wicked things with rods really liked the vynal stickers he used on some of his stuff

http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 9:12pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kojak built some wicked rods,used dyes instead of paint,white leather with nicknames printed on it,spiral wrapps done with roller guides,lots of experimenting with stuff he found on the net... Guess he was lucky he could choose who he built for and what he built..
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition