reel seat arbors?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: reel seat arbors?
    Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 5:11pm
smizz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

are these worth buying when making rods? http://www.acidrod.com/arbors.html  how do people do it over here can u get them somewhere?

When shooting a mime, don't use a silencer or his friends will hear you.
If camera lenses are round why do the pictures come out rectangle?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cal25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 5:31pm
cal25 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think most people just use masking tape - will be cheaper too
Hard work beats talent, if talent doesnt work hard
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 9:30pm
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Masking tape is just as good , and cheaper , never had a problem yet .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 10:30pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I brought a few to try but found problems trying to bore out the centre hole without wandering off centre.  I'm sure they are a good idea and I'll be doing more trials later.
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 11:10pm
smizz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Red Hunter Red Hunter wrote:

could you help me a lil then do you need to build up the whole area of the seat or just the ends.. just wanting to do it properly
When shooting a mime, don't use a silencer or his friends will hear you.
If camera lenses are round why do the pictures come out rectangle?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cal25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 8:46am
cal25 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smizz smizz wrote:

Originally posted by Red Hunter Red Hunter wrote:

could you help me a lil then do you need to build up the whole area of the seat or just the ends.. just wanting to do it properly

good video here Grant - he does both ends and the middle.

Hard work beats talent, if talent doesnt work hard
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gtrbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 8:50am
gtrbaby View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

nope- mark where your seat ends (at the top) take it off the blank - space the tape so you have a gap in between each bushing  - 1cm or so (usually 3 on a standard seat)  . start with the one closest to the grip (you'll figure out why if you dont)   wrap the tape tight and wrap to the seat just fits over the top (it should pinch the first layer of tape and try to pull it off) then do the next one out and check for thickness usingthe seat - then do the last one - checking again that you get a tight fit.   now take a razor saw or a razor blade and make some diagonal cuts into the tape - go through a few layers  this allows the epoxy to key IN the tape as well as on top of it and adds strength to the whole assembly.
put a libral amount of epoxy on the area - if you use the past type like U40 rod bond etc - you can pack it into the gaps between the tape to give a full epoxy joint the entire lenght of the seat. then slide your seat over the top of it all - you will notice that it slides on easy and wont pick up the tape like it did when dry fitting as the epoxy acts like lube. 
clean up any epoxy that squeezes out with a cloth soaked in meths  - and let it dry.....

done deal