Urewera's Today

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whiti-fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Urewera's Today
    Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 5:07am
whiti-fisho View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Pack is packed ,rifle cleaned and shiny ,rod and reel in pack ,just waiting for Tim to turn up and we are off for four days at Te totara hut ,south of Whites clearing .Heaps of photos and venison will be taken ,the odd trout will find its way into my belly and I will be a very happy man God we live in a great country ,Hapuka at the Hook last Saturday ,Job on Great Mercury yesterday so the new seasons Scallops were sampled (good size ,fat and extremely tasty ) Hunting this evening posibility of Venison and trout this weekend ,Where else could you do that 
   Only in NZ methinks 
I step out my door to paradise on earth
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tugboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 6:27am
tugboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looking forward to this report, go hard steve!!Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 8:35am
Double Shot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep me too, wish I been able to accept that invite Steve...hope all goes well mate and get something worthwhile....Thumbs Up
70ml of 90deg C water pressurised through 13g of roasted finely ground tamped coffee for 25sec's to make a distinguishing sensory hit called a Double Shot    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busted! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 8:42am
Busted! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by whiti-fisho whiti-fisho wrote:

Pack is packed ,rifle cleaned and shiny ,rod and reel in pack ,just waiting for Tim to turn up and we are off for four days at Te totara hut ,south of Whites clearing .Heaps of photos and venison will be taken ,the odd trout will find its way into my belly and I will be a very happy man God we live in a great country ,Hapuka at the Hook last Saturday ,Job on Great Mercury yesterday so the new seasons Scallops were sampled (good size ,fat and extremely tasty ) Hunting this evening posibility of Venison and trout this weekend ,Where else could you do that 
   Only in NZ methinks 

Well, don't you just suck?  Stuck at the marina with the boat out of the water...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 11:08am
Jet_ski_fisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Man been ages since i last visited that hut. when you get to travel down the river towards the first hut. sneek down the river as the deer come out for a feed in the mornings. the huge flats at the end of the river is a great spot for ambushing deer on dusk. thought they closed that area off for maori reason land thingy etc? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapper14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 5:03pm
snapper14 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

jealous lots! looking forward to the report on this one!
If a man goes nowhere and theres no one there to see him, did he ever leave?

Munter - Outrageous Fortune.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 10:04pm
Titanium
Titanium

If a man heads into the bush and shoots a deer. and there was no one to see him shoot a deer. did he ever shoot a deer? no cause 1080 killed em off. :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapazapa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 10:30pm
snapazapa View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Te Totara,remember it well,very cozy,use to spend alot of time down that valley,it was good hunting all the way down,river crossing became hairy at Te Waiotikapiti (spelling may not be right),neck deep haha to get to the side creek instead of using the cable car which was a trip on its ownLOL,steep country,stayed at sids camp down on the border of the park down from that hut,lots of deer,rats living in the roof,possums having a nightly dance on the roofLOL 
Live life to the fullest...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hunter71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 11:44pm
hunter71 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

1080 dont kill many deer in my opinion
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busted! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 10:06am
Busted! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Some cases upwards of 70% killoff on 1080, some cases sod all.  Thats the BS with airdropping cereal bait.  Stupid idea all round!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hunter71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 1:45pm
hunter71 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

all i know is iv hunted plenty of place not long after 1080 drops and there are still plenty of deer, not saying i like the idea of droping posion from choppers, but as fare as i know there is not alot of viable alturnatives. I know someone is going to say trapping, well to get the population very low with traps is not viable, bait stations are not viable in most places, hand layed 1080 is a good option aslong as the country is exsesable and the guys doing it are actully covering the ground ( not just the easy ground)  same same with bags of feratox.  someone will know all the numbers and alot more than me about this, but this is my opinion and exsperience
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busted! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 6:18pm
Busted! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The problem with 1080 is that it doesn't target stoats, weasels, feral cats, wasps or any other BS intorduced pests.  If fact it actually gives rats and staots a helping hand and there is usually a population bomb for these species after a poison drop.  Why is there the focus on possums when they are only one pest species and not actually that bad on native species?  One cat can do 30x the damage of a possum as they destroy stuff and kill due to boredom...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blair_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 8:42pm
Blair_D View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Someone had to bring up 1080 and ruin the thread, i'm sure i'm not the only one who gets bored ****less of the topic going round and round in circles. At the moment there's no better alternative, only worse. They've already started areal dropping Brodificum because of the rep that 1080 has, and we don't want them dropping that **** in our parks. 
I'll let you fella's nut it out while i go and enjoy our parks and hunting thats still available to us Wink
Working hard to get the easy ones.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chopsticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 8:44am
chopsticks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Remember the Te Totara with fond memories from the very early 70's. The fishing doesn't get really good until the Waiau River which is formed from the confluence of the Wairoa and Parahaki Streams near the Parahaki hut. The long bench over the river from that hut was good hunting late evening.
Central Waiau has some great fishing and it was common to see deer when collecting water from the river by the hut early morning. Big eels in the Waiau River. Good hunting when sidling down towards Te Waiotukapiti Hut.
Don't suppose it has changed much since I was last in there in the roar of 1975.

CONFIDENCE: The feeling you have before fully understanding the situation.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hunter71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 9:50am
hunter71 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

im with you on the cats and stoats those f  ers have got to go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whiti-fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 10:52am
Platinum
Platinum

No hasn't changed Chopsticks ,quite a few Trout all the way up to Tetotara and some upstream from there ,but yes the Parahaki hut was burn't down a couple of years ago but the bench is still holding lots of deer 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapazapa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 5:12pm
snapazapa View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wow parahaki huts gone!,I remember chopping some firewood there one and heard a loud crack,then another,then that loud squeaking,drooped the axe ,looking up at the trees I was wondering which way to bolt,then heard the crash as one of the giant trees round there came down,walked up towards the swing bridge and it had wiped out the track to it,it was in the river,bloody spooky. 
Live life to the fullest...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jake10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 9:03pm
jake10 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

big big rats in them huts, hate em , christ they kept us up all night trying to get into packs etc , agree about cats and stoats - they deal to a lot of native birds .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whiti-fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 9:18pm
Platinum
Platinum

No rats in the Te Totara hut at all ,we did make comment on the lack of birds in this area ,there were Blue mountain ducks ,fantails ,riflemen ,and pigeon ,but there wasn't that many at all was quite surprised 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 1:46pm
Titanium
Titanium

Te Totara hut a great place to stay in nice n warm with mice to.
Page  12>