Vanuatu 17-24 August 2011

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -mAdfis HO- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vanuatu 17-24 August 2011
    Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 12:52am
-mAdfis HO- View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Arrived in Vanuatu on the 17th to a beautiful 26 degrees after happily leaving the polar blast back home.  We booked this trip with Tonto2, his wife Andrea and mate Lyle who we’d never met but had been messaging on Fishing.net.

Day 1, Martin (tonto2) and his mate Lyle were fishing with Russ Housby while we kicked back at the resort drinking/swimming.  The wind restricted their fishing options so unfortunately they didn’t get any target species ... a day of popping/stick baiting for very little reward, just some smaller reef fish Cry.  After this news over dinner, we were a bit skeptical about our day out with Russ planned for the next day.

Day 2 was our turn with Russ.  The wind had dropped from the previous day so we got to get to some good spots Thumbs Up.  We headed in the opposite direction to the lads trip the day before and fished around the back of Moso Island.  We started off chucking small poppers and stick baits around some shallow reefy areas.  Kylie nailed a nice bluefin trevally of around 5kg on the popper, while I got many follows and strikes but nothing stuck Unhappy.

Kylie got another Bluefin Trevally, smaller this time, and also got reefed by a massive coral trout.

Kylie 2, Aaron 0.

After mucking around in the shallows for a bit, we headed off for a trawl in the hope for a sailfish or doggy or both.  As Russ was putting the bait out, a small sailfish hit the bait but didn’t hook up … bugger Angry.

Trawling only produced a small barracuda so we headed off for some more popping in search of some GTs with the heavier gear.

After many casts and getting  sore arms, it was time for me to get some action … finally got smashed, nailing my first GT, est. 10kg on a popper … stoked! Big smile

Then Kylie gets a mean take with a wall of white water.  She was struggling as the fish was pulling plenty of line heading into the reef.  After applying a bit more drag, some moans and groans, up comes her first GT, est. 15kg... jammy bugger… she shows me up again .. Choice one babe ClapWink

She was so rapt with her star fish that she decided to spend the rest of the avo sunning herself while I caught some other reef fish and literally popped till I dropped! Ouch

We loved the fight in these GTs and then how polite they were on the boat for the pics... compared to our stroppy kingi's here in nz.

Day 3 – fishing with Nautilus

Martin, Lyle, Kylie and I headed out on Wild Blue. Trawled out to the Fad as they had seen quite a few yellow fin the day before.  Spotted what the skipper thought were yellow fin, headed in that direction, had a strike, but dropped off.

Shortly after, got hit again by what the skipper thought was a marlin but again no luck.

Got to the fad, Martin and Lyle got jigging and Martin reeled in a sweet skippy.  Lyle hooked up next, at first we thought he was onto a decent yellowfin but was a bronze whaler est. 40-50kg, which almost pulled the lightweight deckhand overboard twice! LOL

The next 3 hours we popped for GTs till we dropped and also tried jigging for doggy’s but for no prizes. A very disappointing day. UnhappySleepySleepySleepy

We weren’t too keen on another days trawling we had booked for tomorrow with Crusoe charters as the lads were desperate to nail some GTs so us 3 boys canceled and booked an avo trip with Russ again.

4am wakeup call – and not for fishing this time!  The bed was rocking – and not in a fun way! ShockedShockedShocked  A pretty terrifying earthquake struck and we were fair sh*tting ourselves.  The threat of a tsunami was pretty real so we were up and dressed in seconds and off to the resort reception for instructions.  All ok, no tsunami warning so back off to bed. 5:26am and a bigger, more violent quake sends us into another panic. Back into clothes and into reception.  Perhaps the earthquakes we had in the wee hours that morning had something to do with the disappearing fish!

We still headed out with Russ after the mornings events … popped till we dropped around Hat Island for bugger all results … again.  Damn earthquakes.

A well deserved few days off fishing including a massage, shopping, good food, plenty of p*ss, and an awesome snorkeling experience at Hideaway Island.  Had a wicked time overall Beer.

We tried the flying fox (bat) Shocked and snails at le houstalet ..had to be done.  Thanks for the recommendation of this seedy little joint Carl … NOT!

Was cool to meet you guys (Andrea, Martin, Lyle) loved hanging out with you and having some mean laughs.  Sorry we out shone you in the fishing stakes but that’s how it goes.  Pleased you could take the sh*t we flung at ya.. Good buggers!

FiShInG rOcKs! ChEeRs -mAdfis HO-

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 4:12pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 4:14pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A FEW PICS
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 4:18pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The snorkling was awesome but we got well and truly zilched as far as desirable species were concerned but not for the lack of tryingEmbarrassed. Good company good weather and a choice spot. I am blaming the earthquakes for our non performance on the fish scoreboard. Wish I was still thereTongue

Cheers Martyn
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Corokingi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 10:13am
Corokingi View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

sounds and looks like you guys had an awesome trip

very jealous

Cant wait to get my first gt
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -mAdfis HO- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 1:19pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Corokingi Corokingi wrote:

sounds and looks like you guys had an awesome trip

very jealous

Cant wait to get my first gt
Did Shannon do any fishing in Raro?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 2:50pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You could have covered my guts or at least blurred itEmbarrassed

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 3:20pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

when we had big EQs in the solomons (along with a small tsunami), it totally killed the fishing for about 10 days, so there is indeed a good chance that had something to do with it.
Crusoe charters, is it a french bloke that runs that?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Aaron32987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 3:26pm
Aaron32987 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Tonto2 Tonto2 wrote:

You could have covered my guts or at least blurred itEmbarrassed

LOL

sounds like some nicer conditions up there than out from Tairua on the 30th July.Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -mAdfis HO- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 5:37pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

when we had big EQs in the solomons (along with a small tsunami), it totally killed the fishing for about 10 days, so there is indeed a good chance that had something to do with it.
Crusoe charters, is it a french bloke that runs that?

Na Ozzies I think

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mikehunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 2:00pm
mikehunt View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

cool report dude. lucky bugger. always wanted to get up there. got a marlin in los cabos mexico a few months back but the islands look mean.. big GTs all the way..
girls fishing beer in that order