Fishing with hard baits

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fishing with hard baits
    Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 11:30pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey guys

any one fish with sinking hard baits for snap's have seen a article in a fishing mag and wonder how well they will really work.

have been looking on the net at tarpon and bass sinking lures reckon they will work all good on ya softie set's dead keen on giving them a bash just wondering if u can use them only is shallow water or semi deep water

think i will get a few and c how they go Thumbs Up
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TIN TUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 8:23am
TIN TUB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

we had a guy on the boat having a go yesterday, did no good, but seen impressive pics of snapps coming off them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 8:36am
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hmmm guess you would want a lil stiffer rod with 20lb braid might bring in a few sebile lures from the states to have a play with
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 9:33am
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pure Fishing will, or have, started bringing in Sebile hard body lures in to NZ of a size that should be sweet for snapper. We use to use these in the US to good success for all sorts of species, species that we also used to target with on Gulps. I'm hoping since most of us have had success with Gulps we therefore might still do alright on the Hard Bodies... Guess time will tell.
So far I've only got the trolling and vibrating blades and caught plenty of snapper on them this summer, and had by catch of snapper on various rapalas cast and retrieved from the rocks back in the days so can't wait to get my hands on some more styles.
Incidentally, I had some awesome days using those vibrating blades as the sinker and attaching my softbait and worm hook to the rear via a split ring. I dunno if I was doin any better than either style on their own but it was fun to try something different and still catch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 9:07pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

weve been using the sebiles  and so far they have worked well,they seem to sink very well even in 30/40 mtrs which i thought would be thier down fall.they have a mean action and send off a vibration that will be dynamite on kingies .
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 10:14pm
ReelAppealLures View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I would look no further than the bream fisherman in Aussie, they use hard body lures to great effect...Spinner baits may even be worth looking into...

Bream Lure – Bushy’s Stiffy Minnow
Bushy's Stiffy Minnows...

Bream Lure - Smith Towadi Top Water Plug
Smith Towadi Plug... Walk the dog bait. 

I think it is cool how NZ is picking up on lure fishing, is it for the sport or are we just lucky to have a fishery like we do? 
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reel-Appeal-Lures/300309486704362
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 10:16pm
Platinum
Platinum

I might make a few and see how they go...

Anyone using Spinner baits? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 5:32am
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I guys , in the photos are some lures I have been using for casting on the reef up here on Cape York , [ they are a casting lure ,]  I have caught a number of different fish on them  , I started to use them late in our fishing season last year  , and I found them to work very well when I wanted to have a lure to get down deep , what I do is cast them out and let them sink to where i want them , then wind them in  , so here is the info on them , they are 200mm long and weight 80 grams , they have a Magnetic weight tranfer system in side that aids in casting , the metal balls move down to the tail where there is a magnet that holds them in place so all the weight is at the tail for casting , and dudes do these things cast , when you retieve them the weight tranfers to the front , they are a very strong lure , I had a hell of a job breaking one open with a hammer , I wanted to see the insides , I also think these would work well on kingfish .

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote big blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 8:33am
big blue View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

ive been using bite blades, got some good fish on them, and the strike's you get are impressive....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 9:30am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I dunno about spinnerbaits eh, I have used them here trying to get kahawai, no luck, in the tropics for mangrove jacks etc, no joy eitehr, yet swap over to a SP or a hardbody minnow, and wham, straight away.
I have heaps of the damn things though, they look sooooo good,......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 9:31am
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm sold time for a import
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 9:42am
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Whattcha gonna get Mitch?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 10:05am
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

I dunno about spinnerbaits eh, I have used them here trying to get kahawai, no luck, in the tropics for mangrove jacks etc, no joy eitehr, yet swap over to a SP or a hardbody minnow, and wham, straight away.
I have heaps of the damn things though, they look sooooo good,......

Hmmm...Have you got any spinner baits that use a SP shad or similar? maybe they would be the go? They just look so bloody good and catch a lot of fish all over the world...I am going to fish one just like a plastic or just leave one in the rod holder...Cuda would eat one!LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 10:20am
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I caught Snapper on vibrax spinners before. If a snapper happily grab soft lures and even Jigs I see absolutely no reason why other hard body lures would not also work. Assuming one can get them deep enough.

Was on ebay yesterday stocking up on "crankbaits" for trout fishing and garbed half a dozen Yo-Zuri Livebait Minnow Jigs, mainly to try on Kahawai at the river mouth but also going to try them on Snapper.  I am not entirely certain wither its a Jig or a hardbody lure but I am certain something would smash them and they were only double the price of a locally brought hex spinner. 

I own a small pile of different hard lures and most of the time my Rapalas are still the go to lure, Although I do prefer the YoZuri Mag series for distance casting . While expensive lures do catch fish I do not beleive they work better enough to justify the higher price. The best cheap lure I have tried is the Storm Wildeye, only shy away from them because had quite a few trout hooked in the gill area. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 12:32pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Found a few good sites cheap as chips and I'll grab a sebile or two
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 12:48pm
Titanium
Titanium

Hi RAL.... mostly just the ones similar to those you have pictured. Kilwell were clearing out a heap of their stocks of these, and I got about 20 of different types then.I have popped soft plastics on the tail of ones I have used in the past, the firsttime I was using them would have been .....hell, 10-15 years ago perhaps, I used them with berkley scampi (the twin tailed things?), the 1st of the powerbaits we were able to get here at the time... they look awesome in the water, and I know they love them in the states, but I just couldn't get a touch on them.
Same old thing though, use them when nothing else seems to be working, and then act all surprised if they don't work either, I am sure we have all done that! :-)
I really thought they would get nailed around the mangroves in the sollies though, but nothing, while Joe who was using the standard old halcos was getting hit repeatedly, and as soon as I swapped back, so did I.
I would feel a lot happier using one if you could somehow get the hook a good couple of inches back further from the spinner, not directly under it. Maybe using a small assist hook or something to extend back a little, with an SP on that....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapazapa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 9:01pm
snapazapa View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Gidday Mitch,John gave me a Sebile flat shad to try out,used it down at BOP and got 4 strikes on it ,manly small snappas,it was very light so took a while to sink,just used it in thr RH on the 704,didnt hook up a couple of times cause i had the drag to light,reckon it will come into its own once the warm up starts

got one like the one on the right.
Live life to the fullest...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 9:58pm
Titanium
Titanium

Hmmmm.... now some of those are going to have to wind up in my box. especially for flicking around the reefs up in the sollies! That big one is a very sexy beast!
Bet the mangrove jacks will ike 'em too....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 7:34am
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

looks the goods ken 
next ya out i might just have to have a playThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote albert wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 12:52pm
albert wild View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

77mm Sebile Flat Shad SK

Shhhhhhhh my secret's out. I have only fished hard bodies this autumn and winter, lots of guys doing really well on the Snaps over here in OZ. I've asked Grunta, to set up a hard body sub forum so we can share some hard bod info. Lots of cool new lures to play with, it's gunna be an interesting spring that's for sure.

Page  123 4>