Patrick Musimu dead

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Patrick Musimu dead
    Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 10:31pm
TheSnapperWhisperer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Freediver Patrick Musimu has died this week while training alone in a pool.

Please have regard to this fact. When a world leading freediver can die in a pool because he was foolish enough to be training alone, then it can happen to you also. 

Please never do breathold training in a pool without a safety diver actively supervising you and able to assist immediately.

Thanks. Be safe.
http://www.facebook.com/TheSnapperWhisperer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 10:42pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

He wasn't training TSW. Just swimming, apparently - no apnea involved. Medical problem.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 1:13pm
BOC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Apnea induced medical condition?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Azazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 1:24pm
Azazel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's all a bit unsure at the moment. 

Of the six divers that have been below 160m (on sleds, of course), three are now dead and one suffered type II DCS. Just Herbert & Stavros to go now...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 1:28pm
TheSnapperWhisperer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK, that settles it. I am NOT frediving below 160 m.
http://www.facebook.com/TheSnapperWhisperer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 2:36pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Aww go on. Be a sport.

On the topic of No Limits - William Trubridge recently submitted a proposal to AIDA International requesting that sled diving be banned. Well, not banned exactly because you can't tell people what to do in their spare time. Instead he wants AIDA to cease ratification of sled records. Two main reasons:

1. it's dangerous as all hell because you're relying on a contraption to get you back to the surface and if you want to set a record you'll be going deep enough to get well bent. AIDA is better off dissociating itself from such shenanigans.

2. it's largely a technological arms race rather than an 'athletic' event and boils down to a test of logistics, equalisation ability and risk tolerance. AIDA should aim for a more athletic image and leave such mechanised freakshows to Guinness.

AIDA NZ (of which Narsil, Azazel, Phil C and I are board members) supported the proposal on the grounds that it was rather sensible and sled diving was a ghastly blight on the good name of freediving in general. Or something. There's an amazingly tedious and opinionated thread on deeperblue about this if anybody's interested. Basically sled diving is part of history so all the Euros want to hang onto it, so that they can continue to have transcendent spiritual experiences at depth without the inconvenience of having to be good at diving. I'm just saying...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kolt45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 12:19am
kolt45 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Clap Nice, Mullins.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 12:42am
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

and there it is...
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 1:38am
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

In a thread splattered with angels, someone has to represent the dark forces of truth and balance 

*clears throat* Embarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 8:20am
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Has anyone got a sled for sale?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Geofinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 10:28am
Geofinz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

To quote Mullins from the tedious and opinionated thread he mentions "It would be easy for me, or Will, or Guy, or Chris or probably the old bloke down the road with a dicky heart and a taste for good single malt, to set the national NLT or VWT records."

This sounds like a challenge so a training camp is taking place at Gt Barrier (and maybe the Mokes) in September. Various old blokes will be in attendance including Diver Dan, Rig63 and myself. Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Dalmore and possibly other denizens of the Glens will feature. New Zealand's most renowned sled builder will be there to oversee proceedings although the finest example of his work is currently being held hostage by an unnamed AIDA NZ board member.

Watch this space ....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 4:16pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

^ I wish Peach was coming too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kolt45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 4:25pm
kolt45 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I wish I was going!

Actually, not really.  I dived in board shorts today...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 4:44pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

With that gloating attitude you wouldn't be allowed to come Kolt! I will be wearing my 7/5mm combo!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ergo_Rapido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 6:31pm
Ergo_Rapido View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I always go diving in a 7/5 mil combo!
Chuck Norris will never have a heart attack. His heart isn't nearly foolish enough to attack him.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 3:28pm
mustang View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Wusses. I just spent 5 days last week diving GBI in my 5mm suit and you're talking Sept with a 7/5!?It's not like you've got snow melt or anything to contend with. Water will probably be 16+ by then - a bath - and twice the S.I east coast temp!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 10:20pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Temperature will be 13 degrees in sept, it doesn't warm that quickly in the north.