help with weight of stingray-with video

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help with weight of stingray-with video
    Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 10:18pm
C A View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

the video is on page 3......

nailed this bugger today, took me 40 minutes to get him in, had the ol' 6500 maxed out and screaming 

got him up on ramp snapped some pics and let him go, but would like a rough estimate of his weight 

for those interested gear was btr 6500 with 50lb braid on backbone elite 15kg btr rod (i know, the waranty is well and truly void now haha and 80lb trace)

anything appreciated, cheers guys 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 10:26pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats a tough one but those buggers are a dead weight...i would go for 66(30kg+) easy...probably more like 40kg...nice one on a 6500 and that would have been a reel buzz...they go nuts too a...feel like a kingi for a while.Cry
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skidoggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 10:40pm
skidoggg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

well done on landing it, good scrappers those rays  .it looks pretty similar in size as you ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 11:56pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

mud marlin, they are the ducks nuts for testing gear 40 to 50k mate, they are so cool to catch, taught my son to game fish chasing them around, nothing like a fish to lift one off his chair, and whats great mate is you let it go and di not hang her up big thumbs up in my book.

p.s great capture on the bait runner too mate, thats fishing not slaying again awesome stuff.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 4:41pm
C A View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

cheers ba, yeah had no reason to keep it so let her go, best thing to do with rays imo. 

talked to an old fulla who saw the ray on the ramp and he reckoned it was at least 65-70kg, so i dont know im quite confused now haha (he is experienced fisho) 

connor
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 5:00pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'd put it in the 60kg bracket mate...not that I've seen many weighed so only a guess....good angling!

Do a google image search for 120lb stingrays - should give you a rough comparison to work from
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 5:42pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one, I would say about 60 kegs as well.
Use to chase mud marlin years ago in the upper reachs of the Waitemata harbour.

Great fun!

Big ups to you too young fella, getting out there and do-in it instead of playstation or x-box.
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 5:56pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by otdrmn otdrmn wrote:

Big ups to you too young fella, getting out there and do-in it instead of playstation or x-box.

X2.... Nice action on the WHARF RAT lean back photo, I like it!
Many a professional fishing career started in similar fashion Thumbs Up  
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 9:02pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

It looks at least 40kg to me I've caught zillions but never weighed one. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 8:48am
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

45-50kg nice to see it still has a tail .
woman who say they are equal to men ,show lack of Ambition .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 12:06pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Conner average size short tails that are in the wharf are around 80-90k, heaviest I know of is a whopping 197kg caught on 15kg line and took over 5hrs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 12:11pm
JoshW View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

never weighed one of the buggers but I would say it's fair bit bigger than 30-40kg. cool pics
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 12:48pm
C A View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Tzer Tzer wrote:

Conner average size short tails that are in the wharf are around 80-90k, heaviest I know of is a whopping 197kg caught on 15kg line and took over 5hrs.

yeah heard about that one, dont know if the 6500 would handle that LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 1:09pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Used to chase a fair amount of them as a kid but only ever weighed one of them.At a guess it would be 50k minimium.They weigh a lot more than you think,some of the bigger ones go over way  a hundy easily.

Where you targeting him ? or was it a random pickup?
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 3:09pm
C A View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

targeting him (i use circle hooks) for a bit of fun and to see how big they can get. 

good fun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 7:17pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Popular opinion has it pegged a fair bit higher than my estimate so I will concede I may have been a little light ...

If you really want to target them a live baited yellow eye mullet or jack mackeral fished on the bottom would be the ultimate stingray bait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 10:31am
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

when they get to that kinda size they actually start to weigh a fair bit, there is a picture in the front of Matt Watsons book with one a bit larger than that (not that much larger) and i think it weighed 150 odd KG.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 2:28pm
DLS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The one in the Matt Watson book would be twice the size.
I reckon 60-70kg. They are heavier than what they look.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 9:37pm
C A View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by strx7 strx7 wrote:

when they get to that kinda size they actually start to weigh a fair bit, there is a picture in the front of Matt Watsons book with one a bit larger than that (not that much larger) and i think it weighed 150 odd KG.

Na that one weighed 525 lb, don't know if my one was up around that size!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 9:07am
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Shot connor. Gret to see you setting it free without any real damage as well. 
Wow- blast from the past! I remember doing that  - used to cycle down with the rod to the wharf that would have been up rover from the waterside units (in front of Dalgety's back then I think) to catch fresh KY etcBig smile
Page  123>