Landbased or Surfcasting around Auckland.

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ringonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Landbased or Surfcasting around Auckland.
    Posted: 11 Nov 2004 at 6:17pm
ringonz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have done a couple of searches and it seems pretty lean on decent spots. The only one I seem to have picked up is Kawakawa Bay, the rest to me being new to akl it all seems a bit vague or requires a yak or boat.

Can someone give me a few good spots (no need for secret spot X) around our fair city which is walkable. I have no problems to driving miles for a fish. (This maybe helpful to others visiting and newbies like me.)

Thanks for your help.

[edit] BTW I feel the current NZ Fishing Map is has pretty poor coverage for non boat fishos.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2004 at 7:23pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Whatipu - the ninepins or Paratutae - on the wild west coast for kahawai, trevs, snapper a possibility as are kingfish later on in summer.

Off the beach at Whatipu for? (ask Tobes). Pretty sure it produces snapper and kahawai.

Below the Signal station at South Manukau Heads from half way through the outgoing til the first bit of the incoming. Never fished there but it has a good reputation and produces most species. It is one hell of a walk though.

Muriwai beach ... all along there ..

Port Waikato fishing the top 3 hours of the tide for Trevally and Kahawai at this time of the year. Add Bronze whalers to that as summer goes on.

There was a nice spot we called the pony club at Whangapaoroa. I am not sure if can still get acces down there, it used to be good for kingfish, trevally and snapper.

that's all I know of.

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2004 at 7:24pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ringonz here's a few of my fav's and ones I have heard about.

Ti point near Leigh get up there now should be fishing reasonably well, easy  walk in, get there about 3-4 hours before high tide and berley up well with mussel berley. Shallow foul ground you will lose gear use floating baits. Watch the swells, also lots of big Parore there. Wharf there can be good for John Dory I have seen a couple caght there.

Omaha beach break wall can also be good, my mate has had some good days there but I am yet to try it.

South of Pakiri beach, easy flat half an hour walk down to two rock shelves just north of Goat island reserve. Been there twice did well the first trip but got hit hard by massive swells the second, can be very dangerous. But it is a great spot and it screams fish.

Pudding Island Mahurangi get onto it at low tide and fish right through the high tide, it is producing snapper now. Again floating baits cast into the weed patches on the eastern side does the trick. Catch some fresh piper bait and throw it out still alive the Kahawai were loving it last time I was there.

My advice would be to get a yak mate get onto some rocks just offshore it can make all the difference. Good luck.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2004 at 7:25pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hows that westie and eastie advice!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ringonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 7:47am
ringonz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers Muppet and Smudge...

Thanks a lot, I can see it is going to be a busy day at work with a map finding these places and a busy weekend hauling in fish

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 7:51am
Silver View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Have you looked at Spot X maps?
I'm not a geek - I'm socially challenged.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 9:39pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

really dude the world is your oyster there are some gr8 spots around. Whangaporoa for kings snapper kahawai etc both sides of the peninsular fish well place up there call dunkinsby point is a gr8 spot for kings have caught heaps there did a tv programme with J thomas there for lbg kings nudis beach after hatfields beach is ok there lost a huge fish there nearly spooled me on 24kg may have been a big shark or ray, there are heaps of spots too up there that fish well at dusk drop us an email and leave your number and i may be able to suggest a few more.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 9:41pm
Titanium
Titanium

oh yeah i for got my spelling stil sux Kerrin you need to put a spell checker on here my missus tells me to bugger off when i ask her lol.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ringonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2004 at 2:03pm
ringonz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Copy and paste into word and you are away like a herd of turtles. Oh well I have a new LBG rod and a reel full of new 15K mono... looks like an excursion is on the way.

I might go up and check out the Northern places for an evening fish as I haven't been up there yet.

*goes off to check tides etc*

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2004 at 2:07pm
Titanium
Titanium

yeah i will do that i use word for all my incident reports for work then copy paste to make me look like i know what im doing. new rod ringonz so where do you reacon you will be going dude...........
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ringonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2004 at 3:07pm
ringonz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I might tackle up North tomorrow... It seems Whangaparoa and environs require entry and exit by low tide. I don't particularily want to walk out at 11pm tonght. Hmmm seems tomorrow is not great tide wise either...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2004 at 3:29pm
Titanium
Titanium

well ringonz i forgot to tell you about another spot it is called Matakatea Island which is the island out from gulf harbour. you can walk to it at low tide from Matakatea bay there is a reef which runs out from the beach there was heaps of muscels there but i dare say our asin brothers have hammered it any way you can fish the whole island heaps of snapper biggest i hear is 12lb caught by my younger brother there are heaps of Kahawai, trevs and bait fish there and of course Kings of which there are some over 20kg and asian guy got one from the break water at gulf harbour a few years back that went 46lb from memory so yeah theres another spot for ya. good luck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2004 at 7:08pm
Phats View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This might come too late for ya but hopefully not...

A word to the wise...Theres roadworks on Whangaparoa Rd at the moment and its an absolute Sh it fight getting along the peninsula....I guess early or late will be ok but middle of the day stare clear

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2004 at 8:17pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Quote: Originally posted by Blue Asparagus on 21 November 2004
well ringonz i forgot to tell you about another spot it is called Matakatea Island which is the island out from gulf harbour. you can walk to it at low tide from Matakatea bay there is a reef which runs out from the beach there was heaps of muscels there but i dare say our asin brothers have hammered it any way you can fish the whole island heaps of snapper biggest i hear is 12lb caught by my younger brother there are heaps of Kahawai, trevs and bait fish there and of course Kings of which there are some over 20kg and asian guy got one from the break water at gulf harbour a few years back that went 46lb from memory so yeah theres another spot for ya. good luck.

do you mean kotanui island? out to the left of matakatia bay?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 10:34am
Titanium
Titanium

always called it matakatea island may have another name but have fished there since late 70's and called it that but who knows it still produces the goods.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2004 at 8:14am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

sounds good. Have never tried the spot just had a look on a map thats all and was checking if it was the place being referred to.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2004 at 1:33pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Try off the fingers of reef south of the beach at Waiwera for snapper, Kahawi, John Dory and Kingfish. At low to middle tide you can get to the very end of the rocks. Try one of those clear plastic bubble floats almost filled up with water to enable casting and to float your bait over the kelp.

This spot pulls in some amazing fish over summer. I had a caravan at the camp ground for a number of years and witnessed some great catches. The bay attracts large numbers of Kahawi and Kingies at times.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ringonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2004 at 9:58am
ringonz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cool cheers guys. All I need now is fine weather.

Just as a thought (not sure if I have asked this before) but would it be a good idea to put a sticky (permininent) thread of places you can fish in certian areas, such as Auckland in this case??

It could make it easier for forum members to find areas to fish if they are visiting or new to an area. I am not asking someone to scan and paste the Fishing NZ maps or the Spot X maps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2007 at 5:45pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hey ross can you really walk out to that little island out there looked at it heaps but was told its to deep to walk out too cheers deanSmileSmile 
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2007 at 9:03pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by cosmo cosmo wrote:

hey ross can you really walk out to that little island out there looked at it heaps but was told its to deep to walk out too cheers deanSmileSmile 

if you are talking about waiwera island mate then yes you can. have done it before near lowtide
LedgeNZ LBG
Page  123>