Squid in Blenheim/Picton area?

Page  <1 5678>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote huntfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 8:20pm
huntfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sounds like we should have a Blenheim forum members squid night Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 9:20pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Could be worthwhile, I seem to suck at catching them.

The tide was right last night, but I was exhausted and cold after a 10km kayak so only fished for a hour or so.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Granville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 9:53pm
Granville View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Not exactly near Blenheim or Picton, but are there any squid in Kenepuru Sound?
Ta.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote iceman666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 5:32pm
iceman666 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yea, we have seen then in our burley trail.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr.lonely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 9:59pm
Mr.lonely View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Any news about squid in Picton recently?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jutte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 7:08am
Jutte View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

You know how it is...just one more cast...Ok another one more cast
....shoot... whats that strange light in the east sky..oops... that'll be the sun !
Just got back from Waikawa marina.
I got three small ones and lost another three.
Little varmints were everywhere. I used all the colours of the rainbow.
They seemed to like pink...then they changed their frigging minds and pink sucked.
Then it was lets have a close looked at the Bic jigs...nah don't like those...Ok
how about orange...yes but what else have yer got...ooh like your Sephia purple...
nah just kidding...talk about  picky...OK just one more cast...shoot here comes a school of them
..and so it went through out the night.
Only saw one decent sized one - that looked a bit worse for wear..but really aggressive..
stuffed it up and he got away.Another one was mine until the jig barbs caught the side of the wharf and he got off...ahhhhh!
The only good thing about it is that I got to see how they behave.
They seem to be really attracted to the falling part of the Egi Jig phase.They would go hard at it but would stop when the jig halted.Sometimes they would rush at it then then just stop short with their tentacles all splayed out and they would change their minds and back off.So a slowish
fall rate seemed to be in order.Most of the smaller Arrow squids were a bit skittish about an aggressive retrieve - but the ones that did get caught were just plain aggressive and mean as.
Also it seems that smaller size means that a new hatch is out and about - so hopefully
the Picton season will last longer.
My theory about a moon lit night seems to be proving right - full moon last night and heaps
of fish,baracouta and a LOT of sting rays cruising around - the squid didn't like rays ( which were huge ).
OK go at them guys..I have to explain to "she who must be obeyed" why I stayed up all night
- well she did refuse the offer to go Squidding...well you see dear it was just one more cast and....LOL!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jutte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 7:27am
Jutte View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The Mini-me Kraken !

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jutte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 8:23am
Jutte View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Friday Night and my Son and I are squidding again.
By the look of the ink stains on the jetty it looks like some one has
been reaping the squid  big time.
Now it's our turn!
Yehaar...LOL!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote huntfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 9:32am
huntfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Excellent stuff, I need to get down and have a go. Well done
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jutte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 11:00am
Jutte View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Waitangi Day squidding at Wakawa - actually the night /morning before.
My daughter and I went out and it was hard work - I lost two of them.
Yeah - they are still there - but we went through all the colours to get
them to have a crack at the jigs.The real big ones were nailing something really tiny - so
I might have to make some sort of mini-jig.
Daughter was rapt when she caught the little mackeral on bait.
Out of the five successful jigs - four were homemade and the
shop one bought was a Purple Sephia Egixile ( which got ripped a bit from the Squid).
Most of the action more or less happened at low tide.
I saw a tiny 3 inch Squid ( cute as )- so dang if I know what the hatching season actually here is.
My wife is starting to think that the Kids and I are getting Squid obsessed.
Nah...we just like the night drive to Waikawa...or is it the amount of "v" we drink...?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote huntfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 4:32pm
huntfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great stuff Jutte Cool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Whippa-Schnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 9:42am
Whippa-Schnapper View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Wow, you're doing really well! Thanks for sharing the info and pictures Big smile
keen fisho
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jutte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 7:17pm
Jutte View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I think the Squid season up here is slowing down now.
I went out last night with the kids - and only got two fairly small ones.
The roving schools of squid weren't there at all - and I only
saw one squid swimming around.
The squid were caught on the infamous Bic Jigs - which unfortunately were
both eventually lost -so I will have to sneak some Bic Pens out of my wife's
pen supplies. I think she is becoming a bit wise to the disappearing pen saga...LOL!
The bait fish seem to have left ( although that could of been due to rather aggro Baracouta that was blatting around )- and there was also heaps of phoshorescent plankton.
My daughter took pictures of a sea horse that was 'galloping' around - which made her night.
The son hooked on to two medium sized sting rays - both of which gave him , and his gear - a good work out until the line broke.He was pretty stoked though.
Stopped off at Picton on the way home , where there are heaps of Lobster Krill ( Mundia gregaria )at the moment - and got a feed of those with a little scoop net.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jutte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 7:22pm
Jutte View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The Bic Jig - before it got snagged and lost.Just use it like a regular Egi type jig.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 8:35pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You really figured out how to catch them Jutte.

Are the Lobster Krill good eating? 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jutte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 9:17pm
Jutte View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The Lobster Krill are pretty good - although my Kids aren't that fussed on them -
but then again they eat McDonalds...ugh !!!
I cook them in hot oil - and with a tomatosauce/Soy sauce/mayonaise dip.
I reckon they're good - got the idea off my friends Chinese mother in law -who
 thought all westerners were pretty crazy.
And..then her daughter married one ...we didn't call him crazy Andy for nothing...LOL!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jutte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 12:17pm
Jutte View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Huntfish -one of the other guys here- and  I had a Squidding session last
night at Waikawa.
We started at about mid outgoing tide. I attempted to show Huntfish how it is done - but
only gave demonstration in how to lose a really expensive flash Egi Jig...ahhhh nooooo!
Huntfish nailed one pretty early on - we could see them but they weren't playing the game.
He wasn't able to do an all nighter as he had an early date with a concreting job the next morning.
Still cool that he got one and saw them swimming about.
This is Huntfish's Squid.
After he left it got very quiet - but it started picking up again at dead low tide.
The bait fish turned up and a couple of schools of squid started blatting about
but they had a look at the jigs but weren't really interested.
I put on one of my Bic jigs that I made last night and proceeded to flog the water to a foam - but I really thought that at that late stage it was pointless...dun dun dun !
I just happened to look down and this reddy brown rocket flashed close to the surface
and  dissappered vertically down and absolutely SMASHED the Bic jig !
The line streamed off...say what - this is supposed to be squid fishing...this isn't meant to happen!
I tightened up the drag - and it took off again then doubled back and zoomed under the floating dock...damn...panic and amusement  - woo hoo !
Then it decided to go out the marina...stuff this for a joke - I wound the drag on even more.
It came to the surface and it wasn't happy - I wasn't either as my ancient trout rod and reel couldn't lift it out of the water - OK grab the line and on to the jetty with it ...Woo hoo baby!!!
Holy Moly...I ain't touching that angry pissed off cephalopod !
Flashing colours and waving it's arms about .
The wind soon started up and it was home time.
OK now it is time for a biology lesson...

The three species of Nototodarus differ by the number of suckers on arms I (over 120 suckers in N. sloanii, 56-100 in N. gouldi, less than 60 in N. hawaiiensis) and  the morphology of the distal third of the hectocotylized right arm IV

So there we have it ...a male of the species - Notododarus Gouldi ...or as it is really
known at my home - a potential plate of yummy crispy Calamari...LOL!
So it looks like that there could be two breeding cycles here - with resultant
hatchings in November and later on in Febuary/March.
So a cool night all round...woohoo!
(A message to my teenaged Son ) - See what happens and what you miss out on when you stay home playing games on the computer...LOL!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote huntfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 12:24pm
huntfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Maaate well done!!!!!!!! Hey thanks for the trip, really enjoyed it and that is a fine, fine catch right there. Pretty impressed with your handi work in making your own jigs too Clap

cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote danp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 3:38pm
danp View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Really interesting thread here Jutte.  I've been reading it from start to finish since this morning.

Good to see how you have progressed your fishing for squid over the last 1.5 odd years and the knowledge you have learnt about the squids behaviours, feeding and breeding patterns - not to mention your home made jigs. 

Top work mate! Awesome stuff!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote iceman666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 10:29pm
iceman666 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

4 hours squid fishing on Wednesday night but no squid.
Page  <1 5678>