*MAKING USE OF FISH FRAMES*

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: *MAKING USE OF FISH FRAMES*
    Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 9:50am
Double Shot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Option 1:

Save yourself some money on burley, grab a big old mincer and put your fish frame (shell fish, cray shell, crabs whatever) through it (most don't like usine snapper) grab some 2lt/1.5lt soft drink bottles take the top off line with a freezer bag and stuff with fresh burley, tie it off pop in freezer, once frozen take out of tube and leave in freezer....hey presto burley...

Option 2:

Grab a large plastic barrel (200lt) with a screw on lid, fit a simple tap a third of the way up...
Now granb some dry grass (an arm load) seaweed of the beach (arm load) 500g jar Molasses, layer on bottom of barrel add 30-40lt water some minced up fish frames and leave for 2 weeks to start fermenting, once done just ad frames each time after fishing, may need to add some water...after a while the tap will alloy you to fill a bucket and spread this super juice (smelly) to your garden, main does it do wonder for your veges and herbs, nothing like growing your goodies to enjoy with your fish from th eleft over of fishing...plant super food

If the smell gets to much you can always add more molasses, helps break down smell, but hey if you want to keep the neighbours away it helps too...lol

Just some things I do, and it works for me....good luckThumbs Up
70ml of 90deg C water pressurised through 13g of roasted finely ground tamped coffee for 25sec's to make a distinguishing sensory hit called a Double Shot    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TIN TUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 10:16am
TIN TUB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

doing both here, have been keeping 12 kahawai latley and mincing them, makes just short of 10 litres and bombs have worked well when used
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Haydan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 10:51am
Haydan View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I just bury the frames in the garden straight and work from one side to the other, don't notice any smell unless I accedentally dig up an area to soon but even then the smell is gone in a few hours.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 12:57pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Predator, do you put the whole frame in? guts, fins, heads, the whole lot??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 1:12pm
Titanium
Titanium

Hey ProSport yeah mate the whole lot, it breaks down over time, the Molasses helps with that as well with micro-organisms....
70ml of 90deg C water pressurised through 13g of roasted finely ground tamped coffee for 25sec's to make a distinguishing sensory hit called a Double Shot    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ponty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 1:15pm
ponty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have got a blender in the hope to mince up the fish frames, however i find that it doesn't mince up due to being too big and not sure if i want to use my knife on the bones any ideas on how to get the frames into smaller pieces? would be handy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 1:22pm
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah mate, buy one of those mincers from the Warehouse, the big job....you only need to do it to get yourself started as after the process takes over.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 3:01pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by ponty ponty wrote:

I have got a blender in the hope to mince up the fish frames, however i find that it doesn't mince up due to being too big and not sure if i want to use my knife on the bones any ideas on how to get the frames into smaller pieces? would be handy
Get a cheap machete from the warehouse and sharpen it on the bench grinder. Or an old meat cleaver or even an axe works OK.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 8:07pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There is a 3rd option Craig, give them the Maori fella round the cornerThumbs Up he turns up about 10mins after we get home with a big bin very little he doesnt takeWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Senator. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 8:21pm
Senator. View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thumbs Up  that works for me too 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 8:24pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tzer Tzer wrote:

There is a 3rd option Craig, give them the Maori fella round the cornerThumbs Up he turns up about 10mins after we get home with a big bin very little he doesnt takeWink

your lucky....my maori  neighbour must be an "urban maori" he just wants cleaned fillets LOL...  anything else cuts into his drinking time
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 8:29pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by of2fsh of2fsh wrote:

Originally posted by Tzer Tzer wrote:

your lucky....my maori  neighbour must be an "urban maori" he just wants cleaned fillets LOL...  anything else cuts into his drinking time

Has to be said that my Maori neighbour from the local constabulary loves a good feed of snapper heads, so these days snapper heads don't make the barrel....LOL bloody good buggar too, drops a bottle of good red wine around on occassion....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 7:12pm
Titanium
Titanium

Anybody tried out setting up the compost/fertilizer...Question
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 7:28pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

not game enough to try that oneLOL, but still thinking about a mincer set up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 7:34pm
Titanium
Titanium

Ah c'mon Richard be game mate...LOL Yeah you can certainly save a fortune on berley, Bait shops won't like that but it means i have more $$$ to feed my TAS issues....Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pickles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 7:47pm
Pickles View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

stupid question maybe, but why not snapper frames? Often the majority of scraps we have left over a good trip is snap frames and would make a tonne of burley. I've caught snapper on snapper fillet before (yes we got desperate for bait) so I dont see how it would not work for burley?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 7:53pm
Titanium
Titanium

I use them, but it's a superstition thing.... never put snapper frames in the water where you are fishing..... doesn't bother me....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pickles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 7:54pm
Pickles View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

aa I see, just like the banana on the boat bollocks Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 8:46pm
Titanium
Titanium

Yep that the one brother....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Monty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 7:08pm
Monty View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Predator07 Predator07 wrote:

Anybody tried out setting up the compost/fertilizer...Question

Yep a few of us, you must have missed this.