Knots for braid

Page  <1234>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 10:11pm
Jet_ski_fisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hi yerp saw that to lol :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cheechy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 9:40am
cheechy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

was wondering if any one can help me out on this please,whem joining up surface long line to the main drum so we can start hauling it we used the blood knot is this allso called the back to back uni knot and is it all so good for connecting mono to braid

cheers?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NoobZealand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 10:14am
NoobZealand View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

http://www.fishingkites.co.nz/fishingknots/index_fishing_knots.html-useful knots on it.

when joining the main line to the drum and to braid use this one .

ur braid will also need to be thick. other wise with the tension on the line. the braid will cut ur mono.

Winter yields few big fish, summer yields plenty of legals.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cheechy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 10:39am
cheechy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i dont long line any more so instead of a drum it will be my reel anf i got 50 lb braid ill give it a go heading dwn to tga in the weekend to try and jump on some those harbour kingd so i guess ill know if it works or not if i hook up on one 

cheers bro!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 11:29am
Titanium
Titanium

heres my doubled up braid knot for using on swivels etc.. most times about 5 turns to secure it

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cheechy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 11:50am
cheechy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

[QUOTE=Jet_ski_fisher]heres my doubled up braid knot for using on swivels etc.. most times about 5 turns to secure it

looks pretty easy to tie was wondering if its reliable'

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 12:37pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by cheechy cheechy wrote:

[QUOTE=Jet_ski_fisher]heres my doubled up braid knot for using on swivels etc.. most times about 5 turns to secure it

looks pretty easy to tie was wondering if its reliable'

That knot above is a simple clinch knot, google palomar knot, way better and easier to tie as well
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 12:42pm
Titanium
Titanium

true but it's easy for the newbies to tie and use, just have to remember to double the braid up and it works well...palomar knot yes it is good to...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2014 at 11:57pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The knot that you tie the best is the best. The FG knot may be the bees knees, but I've yet to crack it. 

I can easily tie: 

4/5 turn Surgeons loops then loop to loop connection. As strong as your weaker loop. Easy to tie, bulky.

4/5 turn Surgeons knot. A 2/3 line strength knot at best. Easy to tie, and a good fallback on the water. 

GT knot. This is now my go to knot. A mix of the no-name knot with FG style weave of braid onto mono. If tied to a heavier leader can get as strong as your bimini. Can be tied without a loop. 

Yucatan knot. Reliable but I don't like the way the tag end hangs off at 90 degrees.

Albright knot. I lost a lot of gear to this. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 9:53am
Motorhead View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by OneWayTraffic OneWayTraffic wrote:

The knot that you tie the best is the best. The FG knot may be the bees knees, but I've yet to crack it. 

I can easily tie: 

4/5 turn Surgeons loops then loop to loop connection. As strong as your weaker loop. Easy to tie, bulky.

4/5 turn Surgeons knot. A 2/3 line strength knot at best. Easy to tie, and a good fallback on the water. 

GT knot. This is now my go to knot. A mix of the no-name knot with FG style weave of braid onto mono. If tied to a heavier leader can get as strong as your bimini. Can be tied without a loop. 

Yucatan knot. Reliable but I don't like the way the tag end hangs off at 90 degrees.

Albright knot. I lost a lot of gear to this. 

There is a video on Big Angry Fish website where Nathan explains/shows how to tie an FG knot. It's the best I have ever seen and quite easy to learn after a few attempts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 10:11am
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Surprised you are having/had a problem with the Albright knot, OWT.  Were you tying the standard knot or the Improved Albright? Braid needs to be tied around the leader...do it the other way and you will get failures.
I have been playing around with the FG knot and it does seem to be a lot slimmer than other knots and should pass through the top guides on fishing rods more easily.  What I have found so far is that it is easier to tie this knot when you have a reasonably heavy leader - I have had best results when using 30lb fluorocarbon but not as successful when using lighter leader.  May just be me and my fumbling around, though...
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mmmWord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 12:38pm
mmmWord View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've had some issues with the Improved Albright too, with the leader breaking at at the rod-end of the bend. ie I get all of the nicely wrapped braid back to the boat, wrapped around one strand of leader.

I really haven't explained that well, but I wonder whether I was cinching it up too tight, thus causing the leader to bend too sharply around the braid. I'm still using it though, mostly out of laziness (and becasue sometimes it seems to work well).

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 12:46pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When I tie my Improved Albright knots I always double the braid (more often than not I will tie a shock leader to form the doubled line using a 5 turn Surgeon's knot) but this just a preference, a simple folded double in the mainline will do just as well. 
I find by doubling the braid/mainline this adds strength to the knot and when you are using light weighted braid it also makes the knot easier to tie..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 1:10pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have found a lot of people don't pull tag ends etc tight anuff
I leave a Lil length on the tag ends for the first few fish this makes sure it is pulled up tight and will not slip out
Albright is a great knot.
I do tie FG knot more often than not but there is a supper easy way to tie it with out wrapping braid around your fingers
Ill make a Lil vid if ya like

http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 1:16pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Do it Mitch!  It all helps the collective knowledge....Star

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 1:19pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No probs will make a Lil vid tonight for yas
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 4:29pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Thanks Mitch, look forward to it. I've been playing around with a line tester lately and it is surprising how strong some basic knots are. Some people are better at tying one knot that another. For instance I seldom tie an improved clinch knot as I cant rely on it. I've seen others tie it and it is very strong every time. Obviously I'm doing something wrong when I tie it even though it is real easy.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Juan night only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 4:45pm
Juan night only View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I only started using braid last year and have found for me the FG knot has been bullet proof and easy to do once you tie it a few times. I like the video Nathan (Big angry fish) put out, super easy to follow.

I was worried it wouldn't hold the first few times I tied it, but now I can test my knot and have the braid break not the knot.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 6:47pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

you want something quick and simple then learn this,
i use it on my Kubura/Soft bait/Jitterbug outfits,
for really thin braided lines of 2 to 10kg you need to put 5 turns of the 6 to 15kg trace.
give it ago no double you only double the braid in your hand with 5 turns of the trace,
hell even a child could tie this knot and takes no more than 30secs to tie...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 8:47am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The albright , which have used for a while, since the leader is bent back, and even when tag cut short, has a tendency every so often to 'clip' the top rod eye on the way out.
So have been looking at the FG....
This doeant hive a tag to hit the top rod eye
There is the angry fish u tube video.....excellent illustration....
Been messing with that... and when that finishes there is another ... think Aussie guy  who demos a quicker 'knitting' type method which I think is what is referenced above... and alternates the 1/2 hitches direction at the end
Listen to comments on both to nail this knot.
u dont have to get the turns pulled right down as u go... angry fish do in sets of 4....sets of 12 and 15 work well to....And dont over lap the consecutive loops....so doesnt matter if spread out a little.
But when one does the larger number turns, only do the 1st and maybe 2nd finishing 1/2 hitches... THEN pull the loops up holding the leader and main line.. slowly... the whole knot will slide up the leader till grips... so have a good amount of tag on the end
Then finish off the rest of the 2 sets of  1/2 hitches
Once that is done, I sort of uni the main line tag with 3 to 4 turns around the end....
Unlike most other knots(eg  Albright) where the leader tag faces the rod guides on the way out, the FG faces winding in, is smaller, but with a final uni turn one can cut off real close to the finish and it holds very close in....And if the final uni happens to loosen off or what ever it doesnt effect the over all integrity of the knot.

And albright and many of similar knots are basically a variation on the basic sheet bend
The FG is more like a braided tow rope, where the end is feed up into the brads .. when pulled tight, it is self gripping... extremely efficient....same princple is used for large cable pullers... because of no tags to catch when pulling blind underground or walls etc

Page  <1234>