Knots for braid

Page  <1234>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gimmesomesnappa! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 7:18pm
gimmesomesnappa! View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

sweet cheers guys, that's my sunday sorted thenBig smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hogdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 9:05am
hogdog View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I use the modified allbright with windons for jigging and never had any issues, but prefer the surgeons knot for softbaiting and again never had any issues with that knot
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gimmesomesnappa! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 7:51pm
Gold
Gold

Had a crack with a soft bait tonite, was just practicing a bit while the rod was baited and sitting. I used an albright knot just to see how it casts and retrieves. Now I'm not so keen on it, the knot catches on the top eyelit every cast. When you retrieve when your using "braid to leader" knots do you treat it like a swivel and make sure it's not pulling through the eyelit?. Amateur question I know but can't hurt to ask. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gimmesomesnappa! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 7:52pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

one thing you have to remember is not all braids are made the same...
some are better with different knots hence the reason we have so many people using different knots and saying this one is better....

you will even note a difference when using nylon trace and a fluro.....

so please write down which brand of braid your tying knots with when posting...

Sorry Lethal don't know what braid it is but the leader is 20lb suffix invisitrace.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mike555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 4:26pm
mike555 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi, Do you guys have a knot for tying thin braid to thick braid on the spool.

Thank you
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 8:07pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by mike555 mike555 wrote:

Hi, Do you guys have a knot for tying thin braid to thick braid on the spool.

Thank you

What application are you wanting this for Mike? either bimimi twist on both braids and loop to loop connection or back to back uni knot
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 8:10pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by gimmesomesnappa! gimmesomesnappa! wrote:

Had a crack with a soft bait tonite, was just practicing a bit while the rod was baited and sitting. I used an albright knot just to see how it casts and retrieves. Now I'm not so keen on it, the knot catches on the top eyelit every cast. When you retrieve when your using "braid to leader" knots do you treat it like a swivel and make sure it's not pulling through the eyelit?. Amateur question I know but can't hurt to ask. 

google the FG knot. the ONLY knot needed to connect braid to mono for casting purposesWink so small but very strong
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mike555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 4:38pm
mike555 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks kaveman
Will try the back to back uni to see how that goes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 4:53pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by gimmesomesnappa! gimmesomesnappa! wrote:

Easiest way around that problem is to have your trace long enough that it does not need to go through the top eye on your fishing rod at all.  At the end of the day you do need to find the knot you are most comfortable tying - in even the most uncomfortable conditions.
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 5:53pm
Jet_ski_fisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ok you must be using heavy traces and thicker braid, because i use 15lb fluro traces on a 12lb braid
and just use the blood knot and it holds up really well..and it never get's caught in the top eye and interfere with casting..is the eye of the rod big or small? if to small replace with a bigger one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 9:42am
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not sure this the right spot for this question but..

I have some 50lb jigging braid that states it "recommended for spinning reels", will it be OK on an overhead reel? Whats the difference?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote home bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 8:51pm
home bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What's a good knot to use when tying braid directly to a swivel?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 9:27pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Home Bouy I would double the braid and use a uni knot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 12:05am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Originally posted by Big Manly Yaka Big Manly Yaka wrote:

Not sure this the right spot for this question but..

I have some 50lb jigging braid that states it "recommended for spinning reels", will it be OK on an overhead reel? Whats the difference?

cant think of any line that will not fish a on a overhead reel Big Mainly,
spin reels are better fished with a line that helps absorb twist, but in saying that when twist is excessive it will jump off and form tangles, at this stage its best you run it along a beach or behind a boat for a few minutes to straighten it....

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 9:09pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by home bouy home bouy wrote:

Palomar is good and very easy to tie
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Twocan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 1:30am
Twocan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

Originally posted by home bouy home bouy wrote:

Palomar is good and very easy to tie

+1 and easy is an understatement. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xXRawD3aLXx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 8:46pm
xXRawD3aLXx View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I suggest you contact my father in-law Bill.  His name in the membership is UNCLE.  He just taught me how to knot braid to a mono.  Just learning myself and getting use to the jargon. 

EugeneSmile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 10:50pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Welcome Eugene, Uncle is truly a good bloke!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 8:15pm
Jet_ski_fisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Reverse Knot - For tying PowerPro to mono of larger diameter - easy knot
  1. Double your PowerPro, leaving a 1/2" loop at the end. Wrap the PowerPro around the mono 10 to 12 times, leaving your loop open and opposite the mono tag end.
  1. Pass the mono tag end through the PowerPro loop.
  1. Pull on both lines to tighten the knot, jamming the wraps together.
  1. Tie a Lock.

Palomar Knot For tying terminal tackle - easy knot
  1. Make a 10" loop in the line, then pass it through the eye of your tackle
  1. If the eye is big enough, pass the loop through a second time.
  1. Tie a simple overhand knot, but don't pull it tight.
  1. Pass your tackle through the loop.
  1. Pull on your standing line to tighten the knot, then trim the tag end

Albright Knot - For tying PowerPro to mono of larger diameter - stronger knot
  1. Make a loop in the mono, and hold it with your left hand. Double 30" of PowerPro to create a 15" two-strand section. Pass this through the mono loop.
  1. Wrap the PowerPro loosely around the fingertip of the hand you're using to hold the mono, then wrap the PowerPro around itself and the mono 20 to 25 times. Work toward the end of the loop, keeping your wraps tight and snug.
  1. Run the PowerPro back through the mono loop so it exits on the same side it entered.
  1. Wet the PowerPro, and tug on the standing line and tag end to jam your wraps tightly together, moving them toward the end of the loop.
  1. Pull both standing lines to tighten the knot, then use soft-jawed pliers or a gloved hand to pull the knot tighter. Pull both standing lines at once to make sure the knot is secure.
Tie a Lock.

Lock Knot - To finish the Albright or Reverse Albright
  1. Loop the PowerPro tag end around the standing PowerPro, then pass the tag end through this loop three times.
  1. Pull the tag end to tighten the wraps, then trim your tag ends.
No-Name Knot - For tying PowerPro to Fluorocarbon/Mono shock leader
  1. Make figure 8 loop on leader
  1. Insert PowerPro into figure 9 loop
  1. Wrap PowerPro 12 times and 12 times back to the other direction
  1. Insert PowerPro back into figure 8 loop
  1. Cinch leader tightly
  1. Pull main PowerPro slowly then pull PowerPro tag-end slowly and pull both main and tag-end of PowerPro tightly
  1. Make a half hitch twice on tag-end
  1. Cut the tag-end of PowerPro and leader

And my favorite and the most trusted knot is............

Bimini twists knots on both the mono and braid and attached together by cat paw knot.

My favorite braid is Fire Line Micro fused DYNEEMA, remember the word dyneema.

For the fire line you don't really need to use "fancy" knots, your best 2 or 3 knots that you know how to tie to perfection will do the job. With this type of line I don't even use any mono top shot, attach your hook and sinker strait to the fire line and cast. some newbie fisherman will find this uself as well i hope..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 10:04pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Jsf.. The Reverse Knot is actually a Yucatan knot, works ok too
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Page  <1234>