Out With The over 12's & Under 20's

Page  <1 109110111112113 117>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 1:53pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 5:04pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Do any of the 12 guys venture out wide on the good weather windows?

Im considering one of my old spots which is 1km north east of Tiri, so ~4km from mainland when I get my new old boat.

Also want to troll albies.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 8:31pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fiz, there’s not many albies in gulf  (like probably none) unless your talking wide of mokes at right time of year. So guess you’d be going west coast and beach launching. 
Have had good days off muriwai on albies and also quite close in outside manukau bar... BUT ...
You want a real capable small 4 meter plus  boat for Muriwai... preferably something with pontoons. 
And a number of smaller boats fishing a lot there have got rolled, which usually means writing off the outboard and all the fishing gear. Not to mention number of cars and trucks effectively ruined beach launching there.

You really want around 5 meters plus going over Manukau bar, with good experience. That place doesn’t always play nice and is quite unpredictable.  It is beyond the point of just showing it respect, in smaller boats especially. Dangerous place for even experienced boaties.

So 1km north off tiri and launching off army bay on nice days and snapper fishing would seem to be slightly more realistic safer goal for you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 8:57pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Plus skippies in late summer autumn
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 9:32pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks guys. Ive caught Albies out wide of Tiri heading toward little barrier. 

Im probably either going another 15foot RIB, I just keep going back. But there is a nice 12footer for sale. Or possible a Stabi/Frewza 14ft. Im pretty good with Manukau, treat her with a lot of respect and know the times for tides and check the swell before making the decision. Its Hokianga Ive only done once. Down Taranaki its good due to boat ramps. Ive launched off 90 mile in a RIB, but again only in small swell and awesome weather window. RIBs tend to handle the waves quite well, as do Ospreys. But you cant beat size for west coast. 

East coast in good weather is a breeze, I love it up cable bay way, where the water is deep near shore.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 10:56pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Caught albies in gulf between Tiri and LB, amazing. Well done.

I suggest alloy pontoons for your boat choice in size range you are considering. Although have had mates catch marlin on slightly bigger 16 foot ribs and they have subsequently gone alloy and conceded there was a little problem getting their fish onboard with the ribs. Why no longer use em.
Ribs are however more sea worthy craft for the size as compared to a standard mono hull glass or tinny without pontoons under 5 meters. As long as don’t pucture..

Anyway present yourself at tutukaka camp ground this summer with a suitable craft and I would be happy to assist you with any advice I can offer to catch more albies, skippies, yfts, and possibly a marlin in the local surrounding ocean.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 8:28pm
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

headed out to The Noises this morning. Got into my fav spot that was holding nice sized snaps. 2 over 50. 1 at 60. And the rest 40 +. Two with row which was interesting. Droped another biggie and an absolute donky that broke a jig head in half. Was all done by 11 am and headed directly out into the SPO as far as my gas would go to try and find some workups and delicious kahwai. No dice. Also not a single baitfish in any of my spots. Should have tried to load up closer in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 9:32pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Sanchez
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 7:35pm
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Launched at sandpit. Full bin + delicious kahawai. No takers for my footlong KY live bait. Downgraded to macs and dropped a big fella. Doh. Weirdly macs were there at dawn in numbers but not really taking the sabiki. I foul hooked all my macs today. Never had that b4. Banging swell. Was like pipeline on the reef. Tonking current also but didn't amount to a lot of big fish today. Lots of 32 -38 cm models at 50 m
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 7:52pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one Sanchez
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 8:41pm
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Its a great planet we've got Muppet. Fin Nor BT80 reels less so. Garbage reel chewed my braid on a seized bail arm bearing and I dropped my only nice fish. I saw a couple of yaks out quite wide today. If that was you I bet the wife is admiring the guns you've got. Wind was not huge but made things a bit less easy with that current. Tummy full. Glass raised. Thanks planet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 8:47pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Haha no guns on me Sanchez just a gut
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 7:34pm
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

2 day mish. Launched at Takapuna at 5am friday. failed again to get macs at the lighthouse and surrounding reefs so bolted out to A bouy to chuck jigs in hope of a king. No dice. So headed to fav spot noises way. Loaded up on big 50cm + snapper on softies, then headed out to the 40m mark past noises in Barrier direction hoping for workups. Dolphins, blue sharks looking lazy sitting on the surface and birds floating but not flying. So got there too late. Was after kings or kahawai rather than snapper so tossed a few jigs but no joy. Headed back to Rakino to spend the night in a beautiful little bay. Went out early and scored bigger snaps than the day b4. 60+ models all went back. Hooked what I'm pretty sure was a king on a big paddle tail softbait but had my drag set to light and got reefed. Was all over so quick. Beautiful planet. Gotta get better at catching livies tho. All my regular spots are not holding lately.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:44pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice report Sanchez, good on you for doing an overnighter. Sounds like you had some great fishing. 
What depth are you having success softbaiting out there this time of year?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 1:18am
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

20-25m. Weather was perfect. Drift line was exactly right along the structure I was fishing. But a big dfference is being made by my new saragossa reel. I wish I got a good spin reel sooner. I'm really liking it. Mixed up the softies but atomic sunrise seemed to do best. Big paddle tail SB did the biggest and the reefed mystery king that was lost. In the bay I anchored in held lots of piper that came up to the baitlights. Mullet too. Snapper were swimming right up to the top water to hit them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 6:01am
MrWildabeast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Mint pics and report Sanchez
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 9:12am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Sanchez Sanchez wrote:

20-25m. Weather was perfect. Drift line was exactly right along the structure I was fishing. But a big dfference is being made by my new saragossa reel. I wish I got a good spin reel sooner. I'm really liking it. Mixed up the softies but atomic sunrise seemed to do best. Big paddle tail SB did the biggest and the reefed mystery king that was lost. In the bay I anchored in held lots of piper that came up to the baitlights. Mullet too. Snapper were swimming right up to the top water to hit them.

Thanks for that info, Sanchez. 20m seems to be a good depth to target when the weather is calm and sunny - the shallows I usually softbait die off pretty early on those days, for obvious reasons, so I need to nut out some deeper areas.
Pity about the kingie, but the battle is always in their favour on softbait gear. Exciting, though!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 12:04pm
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I tried an idea I had that seemed to work well. Casting upwards as well as forward of the drift. The SB would have less resistance as it dropped to the bottom.   Reducing both water drag and guide drag. Often Timing the bottom sweet as it passed the stern when i would feel interest almost immediately. The sarragosa gave me quite a few extra meters which all combined to a great hit rate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lowbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 7:26am
Lowbox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The Ahaahas are hiding some nice fish. Despite the 40+ boats around the area, drifting with some larger softbaits produced the goods. Was a bit slow, persistence required. Also went out to some dolphin workups for zilch - moving too fast for Snapper I suspect.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 10:54pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Few snaper this evening jigging off pakiri. Planning to slowly make my way north to tuts from leigh in next day or so as weather improves in faint hope of few days marlin fishing in calm seas. In meantime enjoying jigging few snapper. Was lovely and calm this arvo. Could done mokes or little barrier easy.
Page  <1 109110111112113 117>