Out With The over 12's & Under 20's

Page  <1 108109110111112 117>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Lowbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 5:50pm
Lowbox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went out in the fog this morning  - it was bloody thick and I wasn't sure I'd made a good call. Followed the GPS to Rangi and got zilched and headed for Rakino. In the fog. No visibility. A bit stressful, peering into the fog and trying to stay at a safe speed in case something loomed out of the fog. Which they did -with plenty of room to avoid.

but at Rakino channel there were birds, and KY , and Snaps underneath. They hit the Kabura (but not the softballs or microjigs) hard. As soon as I dropped from the surface to the bottom another snap would hit it. Everything else was ignored.

Then the Kahawai hit the softies. Man we are lucky to have such great fighting fish that we don't even care much for!  I took some for the smoker - and the fun.

Then the fog cleared and I went home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 8:12am
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Would've loved a morning fish but had work. Opted to start at 530am and finished at 2pm.

On the water by 330pm we decided to stay near and fished the northern side of Rangi working our way along the coast.

Slow fishing with intermittent bites but no hook ups. Trolled a rapala to try our luck around some coastline but no cigar.

With light fading fast we stopped for a snapper fish and picked up a nice 45cm eater and a kahawai before heading home.

Can't fish today unfortunately...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 11:42am
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

With a killer purple sunset too

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 3:10pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Friday Saturday down coro. Friday arvo  half tide short bite time and came in with a good feed. Saturday half tide in coming the same. went back out half out going tide as the sun was going down and real nice fish up to 48cm. fishing two hundred mtrs of shore by a little reef.great time away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 7:45pm
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Still not creaming it on the fihs however todya better than the last few trips.

Bagged 3 nice Kahawai and a 57cm snapper who fell for a Catch Livey with stinger hook.

Now look I thought that these were all some marketing bull**** but I am completely converted on these things.

The last 4 snapper I have caught have all been om thay cheeky little hook.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 8:21pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

They definitely work but they don't last long. I've had that red thread get munched after one panny on a couple of occasions in one pack I bought. I won't be buying another. Maybe it's only worth putting them on when the bite is light.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 6:25am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

out yesterday off army bay around by the channel 20mtrs home with 5 pannies ,a lot released that were 27-29. hooked a bronze that was around 1.5 mtrs ,boy that thing could go 150 mtr runs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Spearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 9:58am
Mad Spearo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice day out East of Tiri in 40m yesterday avo. Snapper slow but steady in the right spots toward the evening.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Macca99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 11:02am
Macca99 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Boxing Day 2019
0545-1130
Tide: 0815 city
Wind: SW- WSW 7 - 12 knot
Moon: New moon
3 P.O.B 
Locations: City, Southern Rangi, Motuihe, Sergeants and the open ground north of there. 

Only my second trip our this summer.

Launched the FC430 at Okahu and was the third or forth there in the park. Drifted on the incoming tide through all the usual drift lines including the Cloud, Navy base and container port, maybe two under sized snapper were caught through until 0730. Apart from the birds working the navel base it was very quiet. Even the sounder was blank. Two smallish Kahawai taken from the Navy base birds but nothing else. A couple of other boats in the general area but not much coming aboard from what I saw. 

Moved to southern Rangi while there was still some incoming flow and picked one 35cm. While the tide was topping moved to Motuihe, picked up one 40cm and a couple of unders through drifts in the usually good lines after wind and tide aligned.  Again not many boats and not much getting caught. Tried the lines and holes north of there and also Sergeants for a couple more unders but no more keeper fish, back at the ramp 1130. Pink Kabura outfished the Orange, nothing on the new penny dragged in the rod holder.  

Still it was good to get out and we got dinner.  Wishing the wind would drop back for another mission.  Looks like it might on the 31st or 1st Tuesday and Wednesday this week.  Hopefully be out on one of those days. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 4:40pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Macca99.  I hope I didn't cause you to waste time in the city channel.  If you check my report today, I went out in similar wind v tide conditions to you, and got skunked.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 1:19am
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

31/1/2019

Had a good session drifting baits through the Motuhie Chanel area this morning on the incoming low with my bro from Scotland. Kept 10 snaps with 3 in the high 40s. Wind against tide made the angles a little challenging and had to hang the chute of the bow. Bite died as sun broke through the clouds.
Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (5) Likes(5)   Quote Macca99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 3:54pm
Macca99 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Far Quirk - no not at all Geoff, if I go back over the last 10 (probably more) years, Boxing Day has always fired in the city channel for me. I’ve had some epic sessions on that day not just in my FC but the little yellow 10ft lancer inflatable before that. So it’s more of a traditional Boxing Day activity, it’s just this year there was very little. I don’t think it was just wind or tide either, something is different this season.  Anyway.....

Trip Report 
1 January 2020 - yep 2020!
0545-1000
Tide: low 0615 city
Wind: 0-2 knot
Moon: first quarter 
2 P.O.B 
Locations: Motuihe and the open ground north of there. 

After realising the city channels were not a “go to” currently (hopefully someone will prove me wrong with a good report today)  - plan B was to hit the old 12’s haunts made famous in years gone by 12’s founders such as Far Quirk, Aquacat, Betterthanwork, JK, Keith C and Wee Tin to name a few. Knowing that if one spot didn’t fire there were plenty of options close by.  Starting at the ferry lane drift on the last of the outgoing in the half light we picked up one 35 on a Pink KB before the tide died.  

Sunrise over Motuihe 

Moved up to Home Bay as the incoming kicked in and started a drift where Rakino feeds in, another two 35 and 37 to each of us, one on the Pink the other on the Orange KB. Still not spectacular but better than last week.  

Then a move to the more eastern drifts first explored by the 12’s in the summer of 08/09 off Waiheke and all the way back down to Sergeants. This gave us some of the best soft bait fishing I’d had in years. The Kabura’s didn’t even feature (maybe the odd one in the rod holder). Good fish to 50cm on Bruised Banana’s and Sapphire Shine’s. Even my neighbour took his first fish on the softie and was very happy to christen a new rod with fish of the day. Another conversion to the SP side.  

We kept eight fish between us 35-45’s. What great morning out not just the fishing but to re-enact some of past 12’s work was special. Halcyon days!  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Macca99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 4:46pm
Macca99 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

That’s a solid effort FlawOne, I was waiting for that weather window today and it didn’t let me down.  Stillish overcast conditions the whole time we were fishing.  M 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 9:19pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sunday, 19 Jan.

Summer holidays have so far been about Northland farm and surf beach time with the family,so it was time for the first Auckland boat trip of 2020 - although it was also to be combined with a family island adventure.
I hit the flats off Beachlands early. Fishy looking with single gannets and terns plunging in, and the odd short and sharp kahawai boil up you could hear from a long way away in the flat calm.
I could see whitebait sized baitfish skittering at times, and heaps in the water.
But it was very still and increasingly sunny under cloudless sky, and very little snapper-ish sign in 8m. Shark-Bait used to say "find the bait, find the fish" in that area. But I found it hard going casting and dragging softbaits - Gulp and ZMan. Not really a surprise given the conditions.
I also tried a silver/black 30g micro jig Greg at GoFish recommended, fished like a softbait - cast ahead like a bullet, and twitched back fairly fast along the bottom.

Fished until low tide - kept four nice-conditioned snapper to the mid-40s, and dropped a fish that judging from the first long searing run was probably a rat kingie (big snapper pretty rare in that area). Got several fish on the micro jig which was interesting. First time i've tried it. They seem to do a lot more head shaking with the assist hook set up (one of the larger fish bit through one of the assist cords but I still hooked fish on just one hook).

Zoomed back to the beach to pick up the family for an adventure on Motuihe Island, and after several hours in stunning conditions playing on the beach we finished off with a drift on the last of the incoming through the deeper water at the southern end of Sargeant Channel. Picked up several fat keepers, again to mid 40s, which took dragged Gulp Squid Vicious on 1oz jighead, and the same micro jig as before in the rod holder. 
The boys ( 6 and 4 ) took turns winding in one fish while I unhooked a fish off the other rod. Fast and furious for a few minutes before the action slowed and we headed for home with dinner and great memories of a fun day out.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 9:26pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That right there is what it is all about - well done Lester - we struggled saturday with mostly small stuff on soft baits harbour and inner rangi channel. You did well from what i have been hearing.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 11:07am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Great report Lester!
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 8:26pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

27 Jan 

Out early into the Tamaki Strait flats, with a bit of southerly chop and no sign of bird life.
Started to get a few hits, some on the dragged Z Man, some on the cast Gulp. No snapper sign, in terms of arches, but quite a bit of mid water kahawai and possibly jack mackerel schools passing through.

One drift took me into a slightly deeper area (11-12m depression surrounded by 8-9m) I've not fished before and I hooked an angry string puller - fish of the day at 53cm. Scoffed a Z Man 5" Atomic Sunrise jerk shad about half way back to the boat. No nibbles, just bang and off it went. Casting ahead out-fished dragging today.

Fairly slow going, but headed back to shore at 9.30 with a nice bin - 5 from 38-42cm, plus the larger model. Also hooked a few 25-32cm, and one absolute goldfish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 9:53pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Lester
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lowbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2020 at 5:07pm
Lowbox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Out this morning at a leisurely hour - low tide at 7 and 3 knot Easterlies had me head to the Motuihe channel for, well, not much. Pickers would slowly chew on a softie but even if they did bite they were small. So headed out towards the Noises. East of Rakino was a flotilla  - or perhaps an Armada - or boats. 
Normally I spurn the crowds but thought I would try a drop  - and for once, the crowd was right. Binned up, nothing impressive - but a feed - went home for lunch.
Softies, and a flea were working well, the kabura in the rod holder worked OK too.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kztrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 10:12am
Kztrev View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Headed out 8am 5knt variable and overcast. Became clearer as the day went on. Stopped at Tamaki Strait. Good bottom sign but no luck from low tide until an hour after. Headed out to SCULLY’s reef. Again good sign no catch.
Moved out into the Firth. Couldn’t find any bird action. Moved south to where there were a group of boats in 22mtrs. Commenced drift and boom action a plenty. 11 nice fish (Snaps) between 33cms up to 46cms. Orange Gold slider in rod holder star performer. Bruised banana curly tail on 1oz jighead did well. Restarted the same drift again. Breeze had picked up from the North. Only one more caught. Headed back to Ruthes Passage. Came across a good size work up near the entrance and we were the only boat there. Quickly picked up our limit including a 65cm Snap. Run back sheltered along Waiheke coast from strengthening Northerly back to OBC. Great day on the water.
Page  <1 108109110111112 117>