Out With The over 12's & Under 20's

Page  <1 106107108109110 117>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote onanotherjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 7:57am
onanotherjob View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

7/0 J hook through the nose .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 8:36am
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Pretty quiet in here since everyone's back at work and a few weeks of less than ideal weather!

We headed out 2 weeks ago on what was predicted to be a weather window. Out from Kawakawa the chop and wind was a pile of ****. We battled down the Eastern Bays to a reef and picked up a few smaller models but the weather made for an unpleasant experience so we tried up by the beacon out from KKB. Seemed like a day of undersize snapper. Ended up with 2 33-38cm.

Heading out tomorrow to hopefully land the boat (and our) first legal Kings.

Any tips of livies out from Okahu? Seem to be plagued by baby snapper on the Sabiki.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lowbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 6:31pm
Lowbox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Out today to Motuihe - which was slow with softbaits being picked at by the worlds smallest Snaps. Got a 44 and a couple of 35s before headed would to the northern side of Rangitoto, which was protected from the southerly and the bite was far better. Ended up with 11 before we headed home. Glorious day on the water, a real cracker autumn day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 11:55am
Sezza View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

We headed out past Rangitoto last night at 5pm for an evening fish. The bite was hot right on slack tide. Caught plenty of panny sized snapper, trevally and kahawai on strayline and softbaits. 
There were kingfish that was hanging around but not interested in our offerings. Tried to get them on a fat kahawai livebait and stick baits. They would chase the stickbaits but lost interest about 1.5m from the boat.
It was a great start to Autumn fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote onanotherjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 6:39pm
Bronze
Bronze

as no one posts . I will be fishing tmrw 10am out of okahu bay. I am taking a weapon middle age woman with zero fishing skill .
We will target kingfish from the 45m behind the noises towards kawau. Is expectd the new 0%skill will fill bin quickly . If your out and about we are on the good ship “brokeback
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 7:26pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Sezza Sezza wrote:

We headed out past Rangitoto last night at 5pm for an evening fish. The bite was hot right on slack tide. Caught plenty of panny sized snapper, trevally and kahawai on strayline and softbaits. 
There were kingfish that was hanging around but not interested in our offerings. Tried to get them on a fat kahawai livebait and stick baits. They would chase the stickbaits but lost interest about 1.5m from the boat.
It was a great start to Autumn fishing.
silly as it sounds,my Nephew catches kings in a most unusual way,bit of white bread with the hook on top,lets it float out about 2/3 metres and kings grab the bread not seeing the hook or line and success.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Maydogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 10:27am
Maydogg View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Morning team,

Heading out with a couple from work this eve.

Just seeing if anyone has had luck down either side of AK harbour recently? (Past the Navy wharves and on the other side/ tank farm to Hilton)

Alternatively was thinking Motuihe/ Rangi Channel.

Was going to drift with bait and a couple of different slider/ micro jig options

Cheers!
Jason
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 11:14am
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Last night in great conditions fished the front of Chelsea, through under bridge, up the channel in all our usual spots.

Caught nothing.

If I was going tonight I'd be going around rangitoto or motuihe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Maydogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 12:21pm
Maydogg View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for the info Ecko - not so good on the fishing front!

I'm sure it was nice just to be on the water in nice conditions though Wink

Have to pick them up from Westhaven, so will do one drift down the city then head to the channels.

Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 12:25pm
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great. Good luck!
We've been doing well on orange kaveman Microjigs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 2:44pm
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Finally got out today after a few weeks absence from the water.  Fished north of Rangi lighthouse - only used softbaits. Caught a number of 32cm sized fish and only put 2 x 40cm in the bin. Used a multitude of colors and shapes, casting ahead and dragging behind - brighter colors got the better bites. 

Went round to Administration Bay to see if the anchovies were there - found hundreds of Terns resting on the water but no bait fish or feeding activity.

Lovely day to be out and still very warm - but with no wind and a small tide the drift was minimal and hence had difficulty covering a lot of territory.
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 3:42pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very interesting report, thanks for posting. I can imagine those conditions today. When you're in those kinds of hot, listless seas, it just doesn't feel very promising once the sun is up.

Ocean Angler has posted a few times recently about great fishing in that same area, but I note they went out off Whangaparaoa yesterday for a softbaiting challenge, not Rangi. Probably tells a story!

Though they did poorly off the tip of the peninsula anyway, particularly given they are top anglers - only a couple of fish over 35cm in several hours. Seems pretty slow out there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote onanotherjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 4:45pm
Bronze
Bronze

Got out failed in the catch department couple of snaps no kings no screaming reals .
Was plenty of anchovies Boulder Bay as marked lots of Terns caught my live bait here jack mack’s eating anchovies .
Moved out as marked found bait and birds no hook ups .Was very hot and bright and much different to the last few weeks . Gave up as my fisherwoman wasn’t doing so well in the heat after a couple of drinks and no water .
Went around the other side home caught snaps along side of Motatapu and had a swim at Motuihe .
Day wasn’t a loss but the intensity of fish feeding was not there .Bring on the bigger tides for Churchill club comp next Saturday

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 6:01pm
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My apologies - that's where we were, in Boulder Bay not Administration Bay. We were probably in a little closer than your marked area

Saw lots of terns but no anchovies unfortunately. Picked up a couple of 32cm snapper there too. The Terns were all parked on the water with heads up - no looking down into the water at all. They only moved when we got close to them, they'd fly around and resettle on the water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 6:02pm
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Very interesting report, thanks for posting. I can imagine those conditions today. When you're in those kinds of hot, listless seas, it just doesn't feel very promising once the sun is up.

Ocean Angler has posted a few times recently about great fishing in that same area, but I note they went out off Whangaparaoa yesterday for a softbaiting challenge, not Rangi. Probably tells a story!

Though they did poorly off the tip of the peninsula anyway, particularly given they are top anglers - only a couple of fish over 35cm in several hours. Seems pretty slow out there.

Yes, saw that too. Does that make me as good as them - or them as bad as me :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 8:42pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think you're good enough and experienced enough that if the fish are there, you'll get them.
Maybe the Rangi area switches on when the anchovy work ups are happening on the top, and when they aren't, it's harder?

I saw someone on here comment a while ago that the season seemed about 6 weeks late, so maybe that trend has carried on and some of the normally good autumn feeding areas are fairly slow still. More like late Jan fishing than mid March?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 5:58am
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I was out Wednesday morning, first for some time, trying with SPs in close to Rangi where I often do well.  Zilch.  Went round Motutapu in the wash and had 3 in a metre or two of water.  Token attempt in the Rangi channel on the way back to work.  Slow. More tide, less sun might help, but maybe they have moved.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote fishizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 1:59pm
fishizzle View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Out at sunrise from narrowneck this morning. Beautiful weather, very busy boat ramp, Adrenalin was high as it was only my fourth day out this year. Boat freshly serviced.

Stopped at my usual just before the rangi lighthouse and water was alive. Two drops, new bright orange/sparkly zman. Two fish 37cm. Fish finder was loaded but no bigger fish so moved out past lighthouse. Dead there. Back again to first spot but longer drift. 5 more biggest going 56cm. Happy to be back on the water.

Fished 7-9am, got a real good one on bait too just to keep it interesting. 7 fish between two anglers. Think overcast sky helped today.

Happy, grateful, thanks tangaroa.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Spearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 4:26pm
Mad Spearo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Maybe it has finally started. Anyone else caught anything in Rangi yet?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lowbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 4:31pm
Lowbox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yup we were out on Sunday and picked up 10 on the NE of the lighthouse. Softbaits working - slow but steady.
Page  <1 106107108109110 117>