Bloody Gulps!

Page  <12345 9>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 8:41pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Ah, I seldom take a camera, but Karl the club past-Pres took a coupla pics, and once he's emailed them to me I'll do a report.

I usually put the bigger fish back in the water, but on a club day, and there being a club champs, and me being the current club champ, also from only 2 fish.....

Yeah, wash fishing from a kayak with fish this size is quite a challenging thing; there were a couple of times with each of these suckers when I had to paddle away from the rocks/1.5 metre breaking waves as well as keep the fish under control.  And I do minimalist kayak fishing, so there's no gaff or landing net involved, either, and you have to play them out as well to land them.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 8:46pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by BigTackle BigTackle wrote:

Wonky tails make a huge difference when you are using VLight jig heads or Hidden Weights. Makes no difference if you are using weights over 3/4oz or even 1/2oz.

i used to belive this also ,most of my fishing is with light jig heads and shalow water,when wash fishing i used to make shure every bait was perfect,if it had a wonky tail it was left in the pack,if it wasnt rigged perfect it got rigged again,then a few weeks ago i went on a trip to little barrier and was given a sebile hard bait to try,this thing had 2 silver treble hooks dangling from it,  while it looked good i was not confident it would work as well as a s/b as it didnt really look natural with the hooks so exposed, after all we always try to  rig baits to look natural and avoid large hooks poking out every where.3 casts for 3 fish and i was thinking different.biggest fish of the trip was on a hard bait and thier was some extremly good wash fishers on board using s/bs,so now im of the opinion its not that important to have the perfect bait more to get it in the right spot...
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 9:17pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by of2fsh of2fsh wrote:

so now im of the opinion its not that important to have the perfect bait more to get it in the right spot...
100% agree.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 9:19pm
DIY! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good to see you got your arse fishing LOL

http://www.actionstations.co.nz

Berkley 2009 and 2010 S/B champ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 9:21pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by PJay PJay wrote:

so now im of the opinion its not that important to have the perfect bait more to get it in the right spot...

100% agree.

x2
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 9:25pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Amanda, LOL doesn't describe it: you gave me a smile a mile wide with that post.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 9:31pm
DIY! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by PJay PJay wrote:

Amanda, LOL doesn't describe it: you gave me a smile a mile wide with that post.
Don't ya just feel alive having a scrfeaming reel in your hands.. Nice on PJAYBig smile
http://www.actionstations.co.nz

Berkley 2009 and 2010 S/B champ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 9:38pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by DIY! DIY! wrote:

Good to see you got your arse fishing LOL

LOL   oh arent you over confident after catching 2 fish a week ago

2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BigTackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 9:47pm
BigTackle View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by BigTackle BigTackle wrote:

Wonky tails make a huge difference when you are using VLight jig heads or Hidden Weights. Makes no difference if you are using weights over 3/4oz or even 1/2oz.

i used to belive this also ,most of my fishing is with light jig heads and shalow water,when wash fishing i used to make shure every bait was perfect,if it had a wonky tail it was left in the pack,if it wasnt rigged perfect it got rigged again,then a few weeks ago i went on a trip to little barrier and was given a sebile hard bait to try,this thing had 2 silver treble hooks dangling from it,  while it looked good i was not confident it would work as well as a s/b as it didnt really look natural with the hooks so exposed, after all we always try to  rig baits to look natural and avoid large hooks poking out every where.3 casts for 3 fish and i was thinking different.biggest fish of the trip was on a hard bait and thier was some extremly good wash fishers on board using s/bs,so now im of the opinion its not that important to have the perfect bait more to get it in the right spot...

Totally agree, Sebile are awsome! and up untill about 2 months ago I was the sole NZ rep! :( . That was untill Sebile USA was bought out by Pure fishing a couple of months or so ago.

IMO, if your catching fish in the wash they are there only for 1 reason.....feeding. Its getting the shut down fish to pin your plastic that straight tails make a difference. But to be honnest I would be using a hand poured bait with a hidden weight for the real tough fish before anything else. Something like a Firebait minnow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 9:54pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Oh, yes, I did also catch some 50-60cm fish out on the clear with these wonky tails today, too.  So I'm not quite sure I agree with Big Tackle's thesis, either.

But then, I am happy to accept that I only catch the suicidally-inclined.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 6:31am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done PJay, my opinion is still to present my bait as precisly as I can especially as most my fishing local in Aucklands near shallows not GB or LB or Coro where there more abudant bigger 20lb plus snapper who don't give a hoot it seemsLOL The fish may well like them I will try out a wonky tail next time I go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 9:06am
Cbro View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

LOL, wont be long before you start complaining that your local has no packets of wonky gulps!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 9:10am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

LOL I hope so!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Plastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 10:41am
Mr Plastic View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ive been useing the zman lizards and cutting the head and front legs off before putting on a 10g 4/0 jighead. I have putt 33 snaps in the bin so far on 1 bait!! It is torn and looks like crap now but its still getting smashed. I was once a gulp crazy consumer buy hey the results speak volumes.
My good mate was fishing 5" crazt legs and the jigging grubs and i have been landing 3 to 1 of his.
What makes this even more funny is that the zmans dont have a scent either. Salt impregnated so they say but they smell like plastic to me.. I will allways carry some tubs of my favorite gulps as i reckon they are awsome baits but  i have seen the light as well.  If i can get similar results from the rest of these zmans that will mean i can land 300 fish for $15.99. thats better than squid!!LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 2:37pm
skidder View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Mr Plastic Mr Plastic wrote:

Ive been useing the zman lizards and cutting the head and front legs off before putting on a 10g 4/0 jighead. I have putt 33 snaps in the bin so far on 1 bait!! It is torn and looks like crap now but its still getting smashed. I was once a gulp crazy consumer buy hey the results speak volumes.
My good mate was fishing 5" crazt legs and the jigging grubs and i have been landing 3 to 1 of his.
What makes this even more funny is that the zmans dont have a scent either. Salt impregnated so they say but they smell like plastic to me.. I will allways carry some tubs of my favorite gulps as i reckon they are awsome baits but  i have seen the light as well.  If i can get similar results from the rest of these zmans that will mean i can land 300 fish for $15.99. thats better than squid!!LOL

Spot on MR P....thats my number one reason to change to Zman as frontline SB.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 2:52pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Slams! work well ...Evil Smile

Yeah I find a good old Wakato Swimmimg Mullet a great substitute for all softbaits.

Don't tell anyone but I love fishing with softbaits but I do think that sometimes people get a little too precious about what works and what doesn't. I bet the bent ones work just as well but for the price I understand if you want a top quality product.

Amen to that, aren't trying to imtate wounded badly swimming baitfish anyways?

So whats with the drive for unbent baits anyway Muppet?

www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 3:12pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I am a fussy b'stard when it comes to presenting my bait. I like using natural colours mainly like sapphire shine or pilchard in the shallows to represent a true baitfish mainly piper. Just my thing I guess and when you get bent little tales on them I just find it annoying cos at $2 per bait they should be as advertised. Yet to see a Gulp ad showing bent tails on the hook. LOL All good will have a chat with my local shop see if he can have a word with them. Whenever I get to the bottom of my pot the last baits  there are the ones with the bent tails too LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 6:05pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

Stunning fish PJay....photos snd a report please!!

NB Kezza has been very gracious about it, razz him as I did...
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 6:29pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ha! Might have a sookie and write a letter to the ed. if you don't watch yourself buddy!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 6:38pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Look out then, because Kezza will threaten to reply and blow this item out of the water.
PJ
Page  <12345 9>