Parsun outboards

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote markosharknz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 5:57pm
markosharknz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Contract Contract wrote:

If everything was "comparable to / same as" why on earth would a business pitch their product to sell that far under the "opposition" ???
Makes no sense to me
Merc / Yammy / Evinrude/ Honda / Suzi ~ can put a blanket over all the price breaks.
Similar to the FORD v HOLDEN debate. Would you put SSanyong and KORONADO or GREAT WALL in the same comparative view as Ford / Holden ?.
There is generally a reason if some product is totally out of kilter with their contemporaries

What is the difference in price between them :D?

I ended up with a Merc.
7K, compared with 6K
5 year warranty, not 3

Resale value?

Now, price difference between a Yammy? I was quoted 12k for 40 hp 2 stroke. WHY?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 6:18pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

looking at a 9.8 long shaft for $2150,closest in other brands are $3500. 2 stroke
$1k saving is a saving 3yr warranty
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 6:30pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by markosharknz markosharknz wrote:

Now, price difference between a Yammy? I was quoted 12k for 40 hp 2 stroke. WHY?
Why indeed....My new 90hp Yamaha cost me 12K installed.  Just sayin'........
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 7:04am
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Surely not. 12k for a 40yam 2 smoke, maybe that much for a 4stroke.

Just having a 50hp Tohatsu installed on  a FC430, 7800 fitted.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 10:19pm
RC1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

just in the process of becoming a dealer for them Dave, gee you should have waited mate, would have saved you a few $$

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 7:20am
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thats a Bugga Russ, Least you will get to service it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 7:16pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by worksux worksux wrote:

Surely not. 12k for a 40yam 2 smoke, maybe that much for a 4stroke.

Just having a 50hp Tohatsu installed onĀ  a FC430, 7800 fitted.

Not a motor that normally jumps to mind, but very good motors and I would sooner have a Tohatsu than a Parsun any day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 7:52am
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Never owned one before but what I can gather from the internet, most owners reckon them to be good reliable motors. Here in NZ they seem to be under the radar.
After researching Tohatsu, found they make a DI engine Also their larger 4 strokes are  rebadged Honda.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 8:24am
RC1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes the Tohatsu are very good motors, some of the hp engines are better than my other favorite Japanese engine, they make a DI 2 stroke from 40hp to 115hp using the orbital fuel injection system the same as the mercury optimax, they are also making their own 40hp and 50hp 4 stroke (new model)  then as Dave had said from 60hp through to 250hp they will be rebadged Honda engines.

They are not very well marketed here, the best website is the Italian one for Tohatsu. Just google Tohatsu Motor Italia and you will see their new models and the rebadged Hondas.

I sell Parsun engines and have had a great run with them, all depends what you can afford at the end of the day, I would rather have a Parsun than somebodys old motor 20 years old with problems, doing a lot of repowers with them to older boats to the owners who cannot justify spending 12k on a 90hp 2 stroke on an older boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 9:05am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tohatsus are very good, reliable motors. No idea at all why they are so under-rated here, or indeed everywhere, in the sollies they have proven to be more economical and reliable than the Yamahas they had at the resort.
That is comparing forties, tohatsus were remote, electric start motors, yams were enduro tiller steers, yams died first, and used a lot more gas. Very similar usage/hours, the tohatsus being on the main boat probs did more hours I imagine.
I finally replaced the tohatsus with suzi 60 four strokes, I hope that in the long run they prove as reliable as the tohatsus were, although they have saved so much fuel over the two strokes already, they have nearly paid for themselves. Petrol up there is around $3.50nzd. Owww...
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 8:35pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

mercury/mariner johnson/evinrude yamaha?
parson has made a cheaper version,who or what major outboard company is backing them?
seagull made under a usa licence as advertised on trademe
yamabisi has inter changable parts with yamaha

is suzuki and hidea same family?
are these cheaper outboards inferior or major brands with different covers?
are we just being ripped off by buying known brands?
holden/isuzu  ford/mazda   toyota/subaru
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 1:51pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

been in i think i have found a motor,15hp mercury longshaft charging capable gear shift on tiller arm $3.500?2 stroke,is this a good price?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craigbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 4:36pm
craigbee View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey, are you still happy with the Parsun motors? looking at options to power a 410 Kingfisher Mini Cat without having to sell my body parts
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Keithal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 5:54pm
Keithal View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I've put a number of hours on my 30hp parsun now and have no reason to complain

Would happily buy another if I was needing another motor
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 7:22am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There are threads already on this topic plenty of bad experiences with them from what I hear particularly after a few years.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 7:27am
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I had a 15 on an RHI and it was extreamly reliable. Few extra pulls on a cold winter morning but otherwise first time kind of stuff. I have a Yammy 90 on my glass boat but I would get another parsuns.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 7:42am
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Personally, I think outboards are rediculous expensive, for the materials and machining involved.
For the price of a large outboard, you can buy a whole car...
Yes, they make more cars than outboards, so economies of scale come in to it...
At the end of the day, people find the money for what they want..
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 8:25am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Outboards are expensive. Even servicing is around 3x that of servicing a car.
Some people may have had issues with parsun after a few years.
Other people have had issues with some of the more expensive "bullet proof"brands after a few years as well.

And with our continuing falling dollar,down to $64.90 against the U.S this morning they will get even more expensive in months to come.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 3:03pm
crabman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Worked for a short period in the marine industry and it soon became clear that the Parsun electrics were ****e. Go ahead and get one along with spare coils etc because you will need them one day out on the water, good luck and join coast guard.
Page  <12