Towing your kayak behind the boat

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing your kayak behind the boat
    Posted: 23 May 2011 at 5:03pm
Jimm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi guys

has anyone ever towed their kayak behind their boat?

We have a 5.4m aluminium Fyran with kayaks, prowler 4.5m and cabo 5m..... always wondered if it is ever possible tow the kayaks behind the boat, imagine they would create a lot of drag though.

Anyone have any suggestions how how to do this? 

cheers

jim

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noobdiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 5:16pm
noobdiver View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey im not 100% sure but we have a 5.7 meter and we tow our kyak and dinghie behind so i would imagine so what size motor you run.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 5:16pm
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

tryed this once, made the good decision not to sit on them as we towed. they have a tendency to zoom off to the side and roll. very messy!LOL 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 7:48pm
crabman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

LOLLOLClapApprove
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 8:23pm
Slicker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by gollyfish gollyfish wrote:

tryed this once, made the good decision not to sit on them as we towed. they have a tendency to zoom off to the side and roll. very messy!LOL 

All the more fun ... no? Tongue
Fish can be anywhere, as the water is salty everywhere ;-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Limitless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 10:22am
Limitless View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Jim, I've had kayaks towed behind boats on occasion and alot has to do with the conditions and the types of kayaks. In all situations speed needed to be kept down and a real watch kept in following seas.

In your situation I'd try towing the two kayaks in-line astern, with the Cabo in the rear (i.e. your tinny -> Prowler -> Cabo following last, all in one line). The pressure from the Cabo will keep the Prowler in-line and lessen the risk of it surfing to one side of the wake and rolling. You will also find it may be beneficial to run a drag rope off the stern of the Cabo to keep in in line too. I've used a 5m length of 20mm rope for this.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daggy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 9:17pm
Daggy1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I just have to reply to this one - A few months ago we tried this. No mucking around at slow speeds. We were up planing  at about 16-20knots. You are correct that it veers off to the side. The guy on the kayak was holding a ski rope and could just steer the kayak with the rope between his feet. Nearly wiped out once, but he let go of the rope.
Looked damn funny...water starts firing up through the little holes in the bottom of the yak, like little jets.  Probably wouldn't recommend keeping your rods on the kayak though, just incase you roll...lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 4:54pm
Jimm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

oh we definately wouldn't be riding in the kayak whilst towing! and definately no gear on the yaks otherwise it's gonna fly off lol

we running a 115hp yamaha on our boat should be plenty of power enough for towing...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 6:08pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Couple little frenzys behind a sea nymph 14 6 be ok you think
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 9:25am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Old thread
 Couple yrs back we came across a fully loaded kayak out in the middle of clevedon flats...At 1st thinking the worst, a call back to the club house  found someone had it float away, when they went back to lock the car at Duders.

As above posts, soon found towing was not going to be as easy as it seems..
 So we pulled it up along side onto a cleat midships with the bow a bit high.. It sort of hung out, but was stable.

If was going to tow for any great distance we would have put it across the deck up front or pulled it in over the stern... both considerations/ alternatives we discussed before hooking it up on the cleat midships.