150 Verado vs 150 optimax

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wiski23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 150 Verado vs 150 optimax
    Posted: 14 May 2011 at 11:37pm
Wiski23 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi just looking for any input as I'm stuck in two minds as to where to put my money.
The boat I'm buying comes with a 150hp optimax but I can pay an extra 4k and get the 4stroke which I think is the verado.....I like the smooth look of the Verado & understand it's quieter, up against the opti which I'm told is better on fuel but uses a lot of oil ?So yeah I'm stuck in two minds Any input appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 6:26am
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i had a 150 verado on my last boat and found it excellent had no problems at all my thoughts if you can go the extra 4k do it 4stroke is better than any 2stroke ,,,,are you able to have engine of other brands if so id be going the f150 yamaha that motor is one of the sweetest out there 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 7:59am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Perhaps ask one of the outboard mechanics on here as I heard those verado's which are also supercharged are very expensive to service...???
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moki Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 12:53pm
Moki Marko View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How old is the OPti?
And what are you pushing with it?
I believe the later ones have really been sorted and are great motors. I still can't get my head around the technology that is required to get a 4 stroke to produce (not quite) as much power as a 2 stroke. Yes the verado i s more modern, smoother, but no more economical. Save the 4k and just get out in the boat as often as you can.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wiski23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 1:30pm
Wiski23 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

It's a brand new opti and it will be pushing a 20foot glass boat...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moki Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 1:51pm
Platinum
Platinum

Then i'd spend the 4k on upgrading to a 200 - If you are buying new rig: don't even listen to the boat salesman - he's on commission and wants to sell you an underpowered boat so you will come back and buy a bigger motor later on
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 2:01pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I reckon the 175hp Optimax would be mint on your 6m unless it is a heavy tub then go for the 200.

Don't forget the 2 stroke is going to be lots lighter than the 4.

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Outboard Performance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 2:13pm
Outboard Performance View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I would take an opti over verado everday. Well I wouldn't actually own a verado but personal prefferance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bossco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 3:05pm
Bossco View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Opti's are pretty noisy, economy on my old one was great though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote treedoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 5:19pm
treedoc View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ive got a 2010 150 opti pushing a 6m glass hardtop, does it easy. I reckon a 135 opti would do the job for me. There are more cons than pros to going bigger sometimes, there is such a thing as too much hp.
I havent had anything to do with a verado but am happy with the opti.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wiski23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 5:57pm
Wiski23 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by treedoc treedoc wrote:

Ive got a 2010 150 opti pushing a 6m glass hardtop, does it easy. I reckon a 135 opti would do the job for me. There are more cons than pros to going bigger sometimes, there is such a thing as too much hp.

Cheers treedoc that's what I like to hear.... And the cabin noise?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote treedoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 6:16pm
treedoc View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The opti is louder, especially with the hardtop. The biggest difference is at idle, (compared with my mates 150 honda which is nearly silent at idle) but there is not much noise difference on the plane. Not like the old 2 strokes though, easy to hold a conversation. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moki Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 6:31pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by treedoc treedoc wrote:

too much horsepower?  no such thing -  much better to have heaps in reserve for those times you need it  than a motor that's  stressed out just keeping it planing. But realistically its the torque that we need to lift a boat up over its bow wave and onto the plane and for any given hp a 2 stroke is producing more torque than a 4 stroke. The verado with its supercharger mite be one exception though, interesting how engine manufacturers never release torque figures.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 7:39pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Do they release hp graphs? You could work out the torque from those. And if you had the actual data (rather than a picture of the graph) you could plot the torque curve against HP.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 9:09pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sirpartyman -  If it was possible, a sea trial of both motors on similar boats would be much better than facts, figures and other peoples opinions. We were forced to choose between a fourstroke and a more powerful two stroke a while ago and we went for the fourstroke. I think it was the right choice but we didn't have the chance to compare the engines in real life so we will never know how the two stroke felt.

Originally posted by Moki Marko Moki Marko wrote:

don't even listen to the boat salesman - he's on commission and wants to sell you an underpowered boat so you will come back and buy a bigger motor later on
Do you have any evidence this is a widespread behaviour, or are you just so attracted to big horsepower that you think marine sales staff are wrong about what is adequate?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 9:38pm
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

[QUOTE=Unclejake] Sirpartyman -  If it was possible, a sea trial of both motors on similar boats would be much better than facts, figures and other peoples opinions. We were forced to choose between a fourstroke and a more powerful two stroke a while ago and we went for the fourstroke. I think it was the right choice but we didn't have the chance to compare the engines in real life so we will never know how the two stroke felt.

think you hit the nail on the head UJ compare both motors at sea ,im not familiar with the new optimax but hear they are good ,,,im a fourstroke fan so maybe little biased but im sure you made the right choice on your rig ,we have a 175 opti on a haines signature at work and have had no problems as yet done around 160hrs ,its one of the boats im yet to take out ,as i said i had no problems with the verado when i had one but was concerned by a recent thread on which a fellow chap on here blew his up after 50hrs supercharger went boom ,they are not as quiet as the yamaha, honda motors
I personally wouldnt be putting either on as there is better brands but maybe this chap has no option if he wants this boat ,i also would regard a four stroke a better selling point than the 2 stroke even when its clear fuel consumption is little these days between the engines , warranty structures also has to be considered on engines as well

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kings Marine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 10:39am
Kings Marine View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Opti's are great engines, but obviously it is a two stroke and Opti oil is about $53 per 4ltr so you need to factor that into running costs. Personally unless it is on a ski/race boat I would go four stroke every day of the week
Verado's are good engines, you do have to figure in future maintenance of the supercharger (much the same as the compressor on a Optimax)
The 4 cylinder verado can be a bit rougher running than the 6cylinder but only marginally, personally I prefer the 4 cylinder because its not so friggin tall

The Mighty Waikato
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kings-Marine/100476476662857?%3Fref=ts
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moki Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 11:26am
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Unclejake Unclejake wrote:

Sirpartyman -  If it was possible, a sea trial of both motors on similar boats would be much better than facts, figures and other peoples opinions. We were forced to choose between a fourstroke and a more powerful two stroke a while ago and we went for the fourstroke. I think it was the right choice but we didn't have the chance to compare the engines in real life so we will never know how the two stroke felt.

Originally posted by Moki Marko Moki Marko wrote:

don't even listen to the boat salesman - he's on commission and wants to sell you an underpowered boat so you will come back and buy a bigger motor later on
Do you have any evidence this is a widespread behaviour, or are you just so attracted to big horsepower that you think marine sales staff are wrong about what is adequate?

yes - the evidence is all around - almost without exception eveyone I know with a boat has either gone thru the expensive exercise of repowering with a bigger motor or wishes they had gone for the bigger motor at time of purchase. You wouldn't put 1300cc engine in a falcon wagon? you could get it up to100kph - the engine would be working hard but it would do it. The average family car in NZ will do twice the speed limit yet we don't consider them over powered, why do we do it in boats? A good example is the popular Surtees 5.5 mostly sold with a 90 on the back, yet you only have to look at the surtees threads to see most owners recommend a 115.
It's not all the boat shops fault - boat designers know they will sell more boats if they can convince people their hull is 'easily pushed' or 'planes with minimal power' - and when the shop takes the demo out with a small motor and only two people on board, no gear, minimal gas, the boat seems to go OK and the sale is made.