Tropical fishing destination.

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -mAdfis HO- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tropical fishing destination.
    Posted: 14 May 2011 at 7:54pm
-mAdfis HO- View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Already posted this in the briny bar but thought I'd post it here as well. Me and the mrs have been talking and dreaming about heading to somewhere tropical to catch some GT's, dogtooth, yellowfin etc for a while now and have finally decided to do it! Did a bit of a search and the place for big GT's seems to be New Caledonia with the best charter being LPB. Was all excited and ready to book until the Mrs had a chat with a travel agent and tells her you have to allow about $300 NZ for food per person per day for an average eater!?!?! It's put me right off now as i do eat a fair bit! Haha. But I would still like to hear from people that have been there lately and especially fished with LPB. Anyway now we've gone back to our original plan of Vanuatu. Would like to hear from people that have fished the tropics, who are the best charters!? Any other places worth looking into, Tonga, Cook islands etc? What's the best time of the year? Looking at going in August.  
FiShInG rOcKs! ChEeRs -mAdfis HO-

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 8:12pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think you would be hard pressed to find a better suited boat or more experienced skipper in Vanuatu than Russ houseby, for popper fishing at least. Heres a link, shows the boat etc... and has contact details for him.
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -mAdfis HO- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 10:07pm
Gold
Gold

Cheers man, looks good

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Falco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 8:19am
Falco View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The currency is Euro's,LPB is pretty busy,I think they had someone pull out of a trip just before Xmas then it was into 2012 bookings but would not get alot of change from $15k for out group of three hwich I thought was OK but no this year.
Ocean Blue also offer packages to New Caledonia and other destinations like Fiji,Vanuatu depending on what you want to do.
I have not done fishing packages before but have done it myself a few times,ie buy your own tickets in advance and book charters etc..yourself.
Vanuatu has good dogs's too.

Get it clear in your mind how much fishing you want to do,and what your missus wants to do...if she wants to do as much fishing as you does she have a sister?

as dead as dead is
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -mAdfis HO- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 2:08pm
Gold
Gold

What exactly does 15k cover falco? If that covers everything then not too bad. Mrs is a mad keen fisho! Her 2 sisters and more into shopping than fishing, sorry mate!

Jason, I have e-mailed Russell but can't seem to view his website. What time of the year did ya go and did you get into some decent GT's?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 4:32pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Big smile 1 new message,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Falco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 6:03pm
Falco View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fishing,accomadation and food with guided fishing for 4-5 days from memory.Based on 3 people-still need to get flights and tranfers as well as any other things you may need. 
as dead as dead is
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -mAdfis HO- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 6:26pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by falco falco wrote:

Fishing,accomadation and food with guided fishing for 4-5 days from memory.Based on 3 people-still need to get flights and tranfers as well as any other things you may need. 

ShockedHoly ****, I was hoping you'd say the flights were included in that!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ginga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 6:33pm
ginga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I am off to New Cal in a couple of weeks with Ocean Blue.
I have had plenty of guys over here fishign with me who have done the same trip i am doing and they all rate it very highly.
The guys from Ocean blue are on here, flick them a message or email them for more details.

www.extremesportfishing.co.nz.
Agent for Carpenter, Orion and ASWB products

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 11:11pm
Nomad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

if you want to catch big GT's, Doggies, Tuna and have a five star live a board with the best tenders, guides the whole works then you cant go past http://www.nomadsportfishing.com.au, I have just been over there "working" for two weeks as a guide and it was insane. i landed my pb GT at 42kg and the average GT for the time I was there would have been 20kg, you could cast for Tuna in the massave work ups till you got sick of it and after a hard day on the water you are greeted with a cold beer and more fishing at the back of the mothership, it would be hard to bet this set up any where in the world. 
    Ben Pokaia
<a href="http://www.nomadsportfishing.co.nz">
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -mAdfis HO- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 11:08am
Gold
Gold

That looks wicked Ben, it's now on the to do list!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote photog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 1:51pm
photog View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Its pays to research things yourself and book direct. Agencies take or mark up 25% TO 35% on charters and accommodation, so there is always a deal to be made by booking direct. I was in the industry for 14 years so know how it works. Some of the agencies will book you with who they make the most money from and not necessarily the best one for your needs. Just something to bear in mind. With interenet these days its easy to research operators.
If I'm not taking photos I'm fishing. If I'm not fishing I'm taking photos, either way I'm having fun.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 4:56pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Nomad, I checked out the site, it all looks very sexy, but pretty short on prices! Was I looking in the wrong place?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 5:24pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Top left hand corner... Rates and dates "We offer 3 different 6-night trip packages, ranging from 
$2400 to $7500 per person."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kenshin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 8:53pm
Kenshin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Madfisho,

An alternative for you would be fishing trips to Malaysia and Indonesia for GT's, Doggies and Sailfish. That would be I think less cheaper from the destinations you mentioned. I Just got back after spending sometime in Singapore last month and I was able to gather some good info from the guys Kaiser about these trips after talking to the locals there. 

There are certain times in the year that is best for each specie and wether its jigging or popping. From April - June this is the best time for GT popping and Dogtooth tuna jigging. From June to August its monsoon season so not much trips are organized but from Sept to Nov its Sailfish popping in Malaysia. Each trip is all price dependent on the destination. For example cheapest would be (if ur basing yourself in Singapore), a 1 day trip to spots in Malaysia would cost around $200 - $500 SGD /person depending on the destination. The most expensive one I heard was a 6 ( 2 travel and 4 days in the mothership) day trip to a remote island in indonesia which is $3,000 SGD per person. That is all inclusive of air fair, ferry rides, accomodation and food on the boat. However dont expect 5 star class ammenities on the boat. But from some of private vids they had shown me, I reckon its worth. 

here are some available in youtube. I might be trying one of these trips by way of Bali by September this year. Just waiting some confirmed dates.

Indonesia GT popping

Bali Indonesia - GT Popping/JIgging

Alor Indonesia - Dogtooth Tuna Jigging

Rompin Malaysia - Sailfish Popping
Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger. –Herbert Hoover
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -mAdfis HO- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 8:25am
Gold
Gold

Kenshin my father is Malaysian and I have been back to Malaysia many times, next time I'll be going to catch some of those sailfish for sure!  Man that dude in the 3rd vid got smoked pretty quick! Not enough drag applied though by the looks of it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote carlostairua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 5:35pm
carlostairua View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

kenshin, that sail vid is friggin cool!  some clients from singapore have invited me to go fish for sails in rompin with them and sure is one location i hope to get to at some stage
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PoppinTonga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 6:22pm
PoppinTonga View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Have you had a look at Tonga as a possibility?  Most of the fishing options are in the Vava'u Group.  There are some pretty cheap fares from Auckland to the main island then it is a 55 minute flight to Vava'u via Chathams Pacific.  There are a few sites that cover Tonga accommodation and fishing options.  www.tongaholiday.com and www.thekingdomoftonga.com  There are also some postings about GT fishing in Tonga on this site www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=59679&KW=tonga&title=tonga-fishing-trip-photo-heavy  and  www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=54278&KW=tonga&PID=923897&title=poppers-hall-of-fame#923897  The Kiwi dollar is pretty strong against the Tongan right now and I can safely say that it will not cost anywhere near $300 NZD a day to eat.  Of course, I live in Tonga and might be mildly biased Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -mAdfis HO- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 10:54pm
Gold
Gold

Yeah pieboy98 mentioned Tonga/Hakula lodge and looks great for a fishing only holiday but we are also going for some relaxation. Cheap too! Maybe next time.

We have booked our trip to Vanuatu in August and have booked 3 full days fishing. 1 day with Russ Housby, 1 day with Crusoe and 1 day with Nautilus. Tonto2 (Martyn Patel) is also going the same time as us and we are sharing some charters. Can't wait! Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PoppinTonga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 2:12pm
PoppinTonga View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good Luck, looking forward to reading a great trip report.
Page  12>