Sea Nymph Gullwing owners help please

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sbeehre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sea Nymph Gullwing owners help please
    Posted: 13 May 2011 at 8:36pm
sbeehre View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My Gullwing is in at the fibreglass workshop getting a new floor and also some other small repairs... one of them is the ugly hole someone put in the motor well to allow the steering arm to extend into! At the moment ive got an old 70HP 1974 Johnson on there and am looking at a new Yamaha 90HP 2 stroke. The question i have is if i get the steering arm hole fixed will the new steering arm fit in there. If anyone has a gullwing or similar and has a new or more modern motor id be interested to see how you have done it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 10:14pm
Doubie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

sbeehre..I have a 70HP Yamaha about 1990 vintage and seems to have the same steering arm issue. Nice big hole in the fibreglass very much like that which is handy for letting water into the boat....Thumbs Down
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sbeehre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 10:17pm
sbeehre View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

this one has an aluminium box on the inside so water cant get into the boat and it the only decent thing about it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 10:23pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Had two round holes in the well in my old (1974) Sea Nymph where the original rope steering went through and was able to fit blind grommets in both sides when I installed cable steering.  Had to make a hole in one of the grommets to let the cable through, but never had an issue with water getting in after that.  But your issue sbeehre, is a little more problematic than mine was.  Good luck with the repairs....
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 10:25pm
Doubie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by sbeehre sbeehre wrote:

this one has an aluminium box on the inside so water cant get into the boat and it the only decent thing about it!
Mine is on my list of small things to get fixed....will be folowing this to see how you get on. Fingers crossed you get some good news from the threadWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Outboard Performance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 8:03am
Outboard Performance View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thats not an old motor issue, its an outboard steering issue, just how they opperate.

You could replace the steering cable with a shorter, or if you can hide a foot or so of cable, get a splash well mounting kit, and mount the steering cable to where it comes out on the starboard side, then it attaches straight to the front of the motor.

Will probably cost around $150 for the parts I would say to do this, ( plus a cable if yours is too long )

Let me know if you want me to price the parts for you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 8:28am
Catchit View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What about putting a pod on the back ?
"We gave Sir Peter a knighthood," Mr Key said, "And if we could give him a second one, we would."

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busted! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 9:08am
Busted! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How about fibreglassing in a tube with the other end capped?  Was going to do that to my old Cresta craft V17 (before the motor died and we scrapped the boat).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISH 4 DINNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 9:14am
FISH 4 DINNA View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Sbeehre .
I'll pop out the back of my place later this morning & photo what was done to my vessell , 74 vintage with cutout & rubbber boot inserted .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sbeehre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 9:50am
sbeehre View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Outboard Performance Outboard Performance wrote:

Thats not an old motor issue, its an outboard steering issue, just how they opperate.

You could replace the steering cable with a shorter, or if you can hide a foot or so of cable, get a splash well mounting kit, and mount the steering cable to where it comes out on the starboard side, then it attaches straight to the front of the motor.

Will probably cost around $150 for the parts I would say to do this, ( plus a cable if yours is too long )

thanks that looks quite good! id never heard of them before... so if i put that on the current engine would it be able to be used with a new one?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sbeehre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 9:51am
sbeehre View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by FISH 4 DINNA FISH 4 DINNA wrote:

Hi Sbeehre .
I'll pop out the back of my place later this morning & photo what was done to my vessell , 74 vintage with cutout & rubbber boot inserted .

thanks mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sbeehre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 9:54am
sbeehre View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Busted! Busted! wrote:

How about fibreglassing in a tube with the other end capped?  Was going to do that to my old Cresta craft V17 (before the motor died and we scrapped the boat).

thats an option to but id just need to make sure it fits the new outboard as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISH 4 DINNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 10:42am
FISH 4 DINNA View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Here's some photos of my set up :

Accept that some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sbeehre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 10:45am
sbeehre View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

thanks! it looks like your steering arm is slightly higher and points further forward than mine... i bought one of those rubber grommets but it wont fit the current setup unfortunately. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sbeehre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 10:48am
sbeehre View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

is this what you are talking about? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Outboard Performance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 6:06pm
Gold
Gold

Thats exactly what im talking about
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sbeehre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 6:22pm
sbeehre View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

so if i was to use that kit does it get rid of the need for the long steering arm i have now? and apart from possibly new cable does it include all i would need?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Outboard Performance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 7:02pm
Gold
Gold

as long as it has the end on the end of it to attach to the steering arm of your motor, you are in business! Then you can fill the hole on the other side and it will look nice and tidy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sbeehre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 7:04pm
sbeehre View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

as long as it has the end on the end of it to attach to the steering arm of your motor, you are in business! Then you can fill the hole on the other side and it will look nice and tidy.

that sounds pretty good... i will check the cable length but I'm pretty sure i could move it back about a foot if i need to, thanks a lot for the advice mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Outboard Performance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 7:09pm
Gold
Gold

You will need to purchase a clevis kit aswell.  They $38 dollars. Attaches steering cable, to motor.

I could do you the same kit for $115 

You might need a 15 degree mounting kit.  Where it mounts is probably on an angle in the well. These kits are more expensive retial at 189 - could do for $160

Either type you will still need clvis kit

Page  123 4>