Who's been tying?

Page  <1 34567 123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote igfafly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 4:50pm
igfafly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Have had to get busy - winter is getting to me and am off for warmer climes for a bit...guess where from the below ????

Got the missus into it too - she tied the above 2 - will be the first fly to hit the water.

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote StPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 5:28pm
StPaul View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Big smileBig smileBig smile
Originally posted by Rudy Rudy wrote:

Hi Craig,

no, it's not glued.

Just a tail of bucktail, and then 3 flared collars.  I ran it under a hot tap to shape it for the photo.

SWF guys around the Eastern seaboard of the USA, especially striped bass guys, seem to use a lot of bucktail flies.

They've also taken off in the UK and Ireland I believe.

I thought it was an interesting concept, and gave it a go.

The idea is it gives a substantial profile, but with minimal material, so you can throw it all day long on a light rod.

I'm thinking maybe a KY fly - eyes, a silhouette, and a bit of flash.

Have yet to fish it. 

I'm keen to try them out at Waiheke when I go up for our holiday in a couple of weeks' time!

They are awesome kahawai flies, have used similar patterns to great effect on river mouth kahawai down here. easily castable on a 7 weight all dayBig smile. kahawai to 3kg.Big smile Big smileBig smile
Slinky fibre also works well in lieu of bucktail.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rudy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 10:41pm
Rudy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Steve - those look great!Clap

Christmas Island?

What material did you use for the wing?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote igfafly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 11:36pm
igfafly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hehehe - who told you now ???? Yep off there on a 9 day trip - can't wait.

Last caught bones at New Caledonia when the incumbent knob gobbler tried to run me out - French poof ! Had a rather tasty girlie he did too !

Used the "Just Add H2O" products for this too - slinky fibre for wing, krystal Flash for body and tail, bead chain eyes for shallow water flies and brass dumbells of differing sizes for the deeper water ones.

Cheers

SteveB

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rudy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 8:37am
Rudy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Steve - p.64 of FlyLife #62 Tying Instructions for the Chili Pepper - a Christmas Island fly...

Your top 2 flies looked similar, although the Chili Pepper has a green head...Smile

Have a great time!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 7:23am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by SteveB SteveB wrote:

hehehe - who told you now ???? Yep off there on a 9 day trip - can't wait.

Last caught bones at New Caledonia when the incumbent knob gobbler tried to run me out - French poof ! Had a rather tasty girlie he did too !

Used the "Just Add H2O" products for this too - slinky fibre for wing, krystal Flash for body and tail, bead chain eyes for shallow water flies and brass dumbells of differing sizes for the deeper water ones.

Cheers

SteveB

Looking forward to an epic trip report!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Salty-Fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 6:16pm
Salty-Fly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The ONLY good thing about the crappy weather - I think this thread started with a bout of bad weather as well Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 7:26pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Looking good there Neil Thumbs Up I've been telling myself that I should be doing some tying in this wild weather. Somehow though it's hard to get motivated. Too often I find myself tying frantically the night before a fishing trip. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rudy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 5:13pm
Rudy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Some small Gurglers - #2 hook

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote StPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 3:50pm
StPaul View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

have a mate who's a NooB tyer coming over for a few whiskeys and some tying tonight.  Always good fun!

wanted some new stuff to try tying and stumbled across this wee gem of a site.

plenty of great pdf's with step by steps! some lovely looking baitfish and squid patterns
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 4:51pm
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 4:57pm
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

good website St Paul,
heres some baitfish i have been experiments , I am pleased with these as I have just discovered the importance of triming. I am winding a bit of lead wire to off set the body materials.
tmc 880s #2 
Gamakatsu sc-15
dna fibre
ep fibre
and loon uv knot sense
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 5:22pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Your tying gets better every time you post... although i found your post before the one with the flies to lack substance. :)
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 5:44pm
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thanks clark , its a big  learning curve this fly trying . I find my attitude to flies changes so much when i hit the water compared to what i thought of them at the bench. The other thing I am finding is the while the fishing was busy ( summer ) i threw flies together very quickly , now with the weather being ****e they are getting a bit more attention.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 6:05pm
Titanium
Titanium

You're doing great mate... it's great to see the evolution of anglers within this forum... I enjoy reading more than typing these days... it's great to see a dedicated bunch of folks out there taking on the adventure... fly rod in hand... time we fished together again!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 6:18pm
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

righto , look forward to it.Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ShaunQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 7:05pm
ShaunQ View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Some clousers I've been tying and catching fish with, really like the Ice Fur & Fly Fiber lets you shape the flies nicely and they look great in the water.

[/URL]

Not sure if I'm getting the proportions of material right? I have tied some smaller versions on smaller hooks, it makes sense to me to tie extra and cut to shape afterwards although this is the more expensive way. The fly below I cant remember where I bought it from but I love the look of it, guess its a small squid imitation, but how do you tie in a taper like that? I've tried with just thread and it was really hard to get the taper nice and smooth, any tips would be great.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 7:11pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

where did ya get that funky fur and fibre from shaun?

lovely flys BTW
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 7:42pm
Titanium
Titanium

Time for another fur bending session Shaun?  The taper there comes from tying the materials only half way up the hook and then using the thread to build the progressive taper.

Your flies look great though I am a bit worried about those hooks...

Give me a txt when you are free for a session... went out the other day and got onto to some great (acres) Kahawai schools and a few of the razor gang. Time we finally hit the water together.

I need to stock the boxes so we should have a few wines and tie some flies, plus your plate is still here LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ShaunQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 9:26pm
ShaunQ View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Haha whoops forgot about mums finest dinnerware! Good to hear you exchanged the guitar for a rod and made it out on the water, damn those long toothy buggers.

I called into Rod & Reel in Auckland and stocked up on some tying materials, I've always been a big fan of Mustad hooks and the Gama SL's were like $1 per hook so I went for a Mustad 2/0 that had a long shank for easy tying and a slightly better value for the dollar. Next time I wont have to spend as much on feathers so I'll buy some super good hooks.

Be good to get out there, I think the snapper are about but feeding very selectively during the day, probly more at change of light morning and evening. Be keen for a bottle or two and a session at the tying vice, still got ya DVD's so will give ya a text.
Page  <1 34567 123>