Who's been tying?

Page  <1 108109110111112 123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 1:10pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great video Johan!   Yea I'm a bit like Craig when it comes to my fly tying.  I describe it as very "utilitarian"  LOL  Enough to catch a fish, but not much more.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 9:48am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I am the same and try to buy only the materials I absolutely need or which I get cheap or free. Most fish are not that fussy and I am happy to catch them. If you keep buying materials the cost advantage just goes out the door real quick and the tying bench even more of a mess. I am running into trouble with my fly tying series though because I don't even have the materials for a woolly bugger, don't even mention something flash like a deceiver 😁😁😁.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 2:52pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Articulated flies are my latest distraction. Trying to get a bit more wiggle in the tail. Doing this by binding the tail fibres to a short piece of cord and then tying the cord to the hook, being careful to not get any glue in that portion of cord that allows for the free movement of the tail. Might try braid next if the cord not supple enough. I tried braided mono- cord seemed to be better.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 7:41am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice idea.  How do they swim? Is it a side to side action?  I have seen a few videos of those things they call dragon tails I think.  The movement looks amazing, thought it may work well for kings.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 7:59am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Not sure yet, have to test. Just finding an easy way to do it at the moment then working towards several tail sections on a longer bit of cord, something like the gamechanger tails... but not quite
Yep, the dragon tails swim great and look amazing. Quite a few other innovations out there too, from long thin softbait tails to imitation baitfish tails built for fly. All are about getting more fly movement at slow speed. All of them are producing the goods.
At the moment I'm trying to go down the same path while keeping it 'home tied'.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 8:09am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yup, I know what you mean with home tied. I have always mainly tied for budget reasons, especially salt flies because the things are horrendously expensive, so I keep very limited materials.  The fly tying video series is causing me problems though.  I don't have even very basic stuff others have.  Had to go to the shop to buy materials for the woolly bugger video the other day LOL

For those that don't tie though, I Love Fly Fishing is getting rid of some stock so all their flies, including saltwater are only $2.  Have a look at the advert on the front page. http://www.flyfishinginxs.kiwi/

I haven't seen or used the salt flies and the website can be a bit challenging but Barry who runs it is pretty good if you want to call in and rummage through instead.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 10:13am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I'm also into 'home tied' for ethical reasons I get a kick out of catching a fish on something that I've created myself. The closer I get to a store bought product the less excited I get about it. Buying a 'tail' and tying it to a hook is- for me- cheating However, I'm not beyond studying why the store bought products work and trying to copy them

Fly fishing snobbery is alive and well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 5:00pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Here is my latest Friday Fly Day video.  My Spam and Eggs fly variant which I discovered worked well for snapper in NZ after it failed for me on bonefish in Aitutaki LOL  Accounted for a few of the snapper I caught today.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 8:16pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 8:20pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Dragon tails yes. Thumbs Up
But, some things you need to do. 1. Burn the pointy end to stop them unravelling 2.treat the tail With scotch guard to waterproof as they get waterlogged and heavy.

I tie a black crease version with black dragon tail. It’s mean. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 8:23pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Jofly Jofly wrote:

Here is my latest Friday Fly Day video.  My Spam and Eggs fly variant which I discovered worked well for snapper in NZ after it failed for me on bonefish in Aitutaki LOL  Accounted for a few of the snapper I caught today.

Yours is quite different to the original S&E mantis shrimp imitation. I used one exclusively last week in Cuba and it scored big time. Much more muted colours than yours which indeed looks a great snapper catcher.

This one was retired after 20+ fish having taken a particularly nice bone.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 1:53pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the tips on the dragon tails.  Keen to give them a go.  The action looks awesome.  

My variant of the original has certainly devolved to a bright ugly snapper fly with lots of movement. The ones I tied for Aitutaki were a bit more muted but I did just use the materials I had at the time.  

20 fish is an amazing lifespan for any fly, you must tie the things with some crazy strong rib and excess superglue or something LOLit even looks like it can catch a few more. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 4:04pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I use a copper wire rib, and simi seal dubbing for the body.  If you look closely you can see the hackle point has come loose at the bum end. And I use a dubbing loop which is far stronger than twirling dubbing around a single thread.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 2:14pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

This simple looking fat bodied clouser has been producing for me lately. It was an extension of the experiment I did with articulated flies. They were a dead loss. I cut the tail off one then realised the remaining bits of the fly looked quite good. I tried it and hooked up on a kingfish on my second cast. Instantly it moved into my favourites row in my flybox

The construction starts off with a body 'hackle' of short cropped wig hair slightly forward of where you would normally tie in a tail. This extends no further back than the curve of the hook. Longer wig hair is tied in over this, extending out about as far as you see in the picture. Polarflash or some other flashy favourite is then mixed with wig hair and tied over that. Dumbbell eyes are added. Glue is added to the fibres around the 'neck' of the fly in order to control the fibres a little bit.

The result is a bulky but loose clouser/baitfish profile that is remarkably tangle free. It is light and easy to cast and has plenty of pulsating fibre movement in the water without those fibres getting hung up. So far the fish seem to like it.

Cheap to construct too. Mostly made of wig-hair.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 6:58pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice Ty Craig,

Seems like were all doing very light in colour tys for kings.

This summerr my sucessful flys have been decievers in light colours with a bit of brown
and a wee keel,but basiccly twice the size i usually use.
My logic being theres a lot of schools of medium sized mullet around this year,
when last couple of years it was mainly small small sprats and baby flounder.
I love to use crease flys, but they havent been 100% sucessful this summer,  
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 8:28pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Anchovies here. Anchovies, anchovies and more anchovies. A two inch pale basic clouser with a bit of bulk, moving fibres and a bit of flash fits the bill I suppose.

Yes, topwater not going that well. I blame lack of piper. Usually the kingies go-to feed, but very few around this year.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 11:51am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Here's some pics of construction to show how I've built up the body.

First tie in a 'wad' of short cropped wig hair slightly forward of where you would normally tie in a tail.

Add some longer wig hair over that.

Add more wig hair plus some flash material of your choice.

Add dumbbell eyes and real eyes.

And finally put a collar of glue around the neck of the fly just where the fibres are tied in against the dumbbells.

Simple

Fly is bulky but sparse at the same time. The fibres move freely. There is plenty of movement. Seems to work well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 5:47pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Might get out tomorrow if I'm lucky. Pot holing for snapper and maybe some anchovy action...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 10:59am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Something to keep you lot busy over the next few weeks. This is the best method I have seen to tie crease flies.  Dan even does it without a vice and obviously much better than me.  The fly ends up very strong and if you varnished it, it should last a few fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 11:36am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice, always good to see a new take on things.
Page  <1 108109110111112 123>