Who's been tying?

Page  123 123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who's been tying?
    Posted: 10 May 2011 at 9:25am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Only good thing you can say about horrible rainy weather is that it gets the tying going again. Have managed to roll out a few lately (none for sticky fingered fly stealers Evil Smile). Here's three of my slightly different efforts:

The skull at the bottom is cool. I like them. Just a shame that you can't fix them to stronger hooks. This one is tied on a Gami 1/0 CP11. Which is a pretty good hook. The skull will go on via the hook point on to a 2/0 in the same hook. This adds a lot more strength, but doesn't allow you to push the skull down onto the tying material from the front. 

The middle fly is a good way of using up all those tag ends of flash material. It's tied on a 1/0 Oshaugnessy Gami.

The top fly is tied on a Tiemco  600SP. These are very good hooks but smallest available is an oversized 1/0. Would love to see these hooks in smaller sizes.

Anyone else been tying lately?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote StPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 7:36pm
StPaul View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have been teaching my 5 year old daughter the basic skills to tie, she is pictured below hard at work on her latest creation.

Below are some recent works from my vice 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 10:28pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi guys,

Great flies! Especially like your little crab Paul.

Ive had good success with your interceptor pattern on the local snapper population Craig however the marabou tails get thinned out pretty quick once they catch a couple so Ive been tying some rabbit based versions. I reckon the skulls work pretty good too.

Also a couple of piper flies as there are plenty of them still present where I fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 8:33am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yep, my vote for the crab too.. although I'm not sure anything will eat it?? 
TZ, I know what you mean about marabou not lasting the distance. I'm now very selective about the marabou I buy. Even bought some of the good stuff from Feather Merchants. Figure it's worth it when I'm tying it onto an expensive hook.
Was fishing yesterday afternoon with an interceptor made out of red and orange glo-bug yarn and a bright purple body hackle. Was fishing in a 'Meola' type place up harbour. Figured I needed a bright fly in the very milky water. Didn't catch anything on that fly. Switched to old faithful Interceptor- yellow body hackle over white marabou- and quickly nailed two 35cm fish. 
Rain back today though so that spot is stuffed for another two days.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushkid2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 1:12pm
Bushkid2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Craig please send me your fly box.
Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 1:58pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Censored
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushkid2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 3:57pm
Bushkid2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Are you giving me the silent treatment Craig?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 6:30pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Just waiting for you to post up pics of your fine saltwater efforts.. Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 10:00pm
Tore View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice looking flies there Craig. Now, you still have my address right? Let me at least pay for the postage! Oh, you generous man!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 10:51pm
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Here are my first attempts at fly tying anything Embarrassed all tied on a Blackmagic Saltwater Fly #1. will be testing them out shortly on the Auckland inner reefs Thumbs Up

Some to some sort of pattern others to whatever random stuff I pulled out of the box my old man sent me.

Comments on tying, styles, sizing etc appreciated

While the following is not a saltwater fly, it did catch me my second and third rat(almost legal...) kingfish ever Big smile
I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 8:24am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Edit, some good first efforts there. I would put a set of dumbell eyes on the top one (feathers have bouyancy) and consider changing the hooks. The brand you have chosen is weak (unless they have upgraded it lately?). Gamakatsu SL12s is the got to hook. Even then snapper will crunch it sometime. 

Tore, considering you're standing in line behind Bushkid (and he's not getting any) I don't fancy your chances Smile.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 8:53am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Interceptors

Bait fish & burley flies

Piper
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 11:50am
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sweet flies Nick - those piper look deadly!

I tie my interceptors bulky ( so the fish can see them! ) for upper harbour waters and to discourage the smaller snapper but like your slimmer versions for a really shrimpy look and bet they get down quick too.

Like yours too Edit - theyll all catch fish. Awesome result for your first ties.

This is a great thread to see how everyone approaches tying their SWFs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 12:26pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nick is a tying machine, serious boxes of flies that man has gotLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 1:33pm
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the tips guys

I'll grab some better hooks next time I'm near a tackle shop.
I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 2:08pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yep, cool flies Nick. Painted eye dumbbells look good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rudy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 2:22pm
Rudy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I too have tied on Black Magic Saltwater Fly hooks - because that's the only dedicated SW fly hook the store stocked at the time.  Grrr.  Waste of time and money then.

Gamakatsu SL12s

Any idea where I can get these in NZ? 

I can't for the life of me find them here in Chch, and haven't been able to find an online source either (apart from Stu's Flyshop, which doesn't have a very large range of sizes).

I'm about to get some hooks and flytying stuff from the States, but in future, I'd prefer it if I could get them closer to home.

Cheers

Rudy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Salty-Fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 2:36pm
Salty-Fly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The Black magic hooks are still crappy :( - see the first 2 pics- lucky to

So - now my hook draw looks like this - all imported from different parts of the world and the Mustad 34007 and 34011 have proved to be the best imho....

and my whole messy tying spot looks like this

Big smileBig smileWinkLOLSmile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rudy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 2:43pm
Rudy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

SO if BM Saltwater Fly hooks are crap - why would reputable stores carry them?!  Either they don't realise, or they have to stock something to capture that SWF market...    The hooks are not that cheap...

The only lemons I like are the ones that grow on my tree outside.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 3:07pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

All stores carry lemons of one thing or another. Just the nature of fishing gear hooks especially.
Page  123 123>