Who's been tying?

Page  <1 120121122123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 5:42pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Snuffit. Snuffit. wrote:

Really nice Lester. I'm not sure where the line crosses between fly & Skute but I can say I use lightly weighted jig heads on some snap flies for deeper water, and yes, they can be cast with a fly rod.

Love that squid version, do you dye your grizzle feathers?

I appreciate those kind words, Nick - this thread has some amazing tiers. 

I have quite often harboured thoughts of trying salt fly with my 8/9 wt trout gear, particularly for kahawai, but chickened out...so 'skuting' is a my tying outlet for now.

The squid is on a 3/8oz Lightbulb (long shank), and the green fish on a 3/8oz TT. I tied half a 'booby' foam roll onto each to give them some buoyancy in the body.

I'm thinking about a small anchovy, or bigger jack mack style more natural looking baitfish next - a pattern like WillP's post a little while ago, or Craig's Anchovy bomb. I would give it a flick out by Rangi in the anchovy work ups.

I've noted that Craig and others favour short, fluffy flies for snaps as a rule - with white as the key base colour. I'd be great to hear what 'flies' on jigheads you have had luck with.

Anyway, to your question re the hackles: no, I have a Hareline 1/2 Grizzly Saddle cape in a burnt orange in my big box of materials. I think I bought it online to tie Woolly Bugger style lake flies, but most of the hackles are very long and thin, not webby. I thought they kind of looked squiddy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 9:58am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Okay team, an invasion of a 'skute' maker to the venerable fly tyers space! Here are my two latest attempts at the salt fly/softbait jighead mash up popularised by Nathan off Big Angry Fish a few years ago. 

Given it was another $hitty weather non-fishing weekend i thought I'd get out my old vice and tying materials. I decided to tie up a squid, and a green 'rock cod' type fish pattern.

Each has some saddle hackles in the tail, along with some flash. I epoxied on the eyes.

The body of the green baitfish is SF Flash Blend, with a back topping of Ice Dub Shimmer Fringe. I decided to give it some custom stripes. The body of the squid is Senyo UV brush (two different colours). I incorporated part of an old rubber squid (the thicker 'tentacles').

They might be over-elaborate for your average snapper - and I'm mindful of wise words from FishByFly to strip back to basics, and think about what the fish sees, not the tyer - but I just wanted to have some fun. 

I am going to dedicate a morning on my annual Far North trip to using these, and some Double Bunnies I tied a while ago. Hopefully they will have the right imitative qualities in the water.

Those are fantastic, well done. 

I do most of my fishing from a kayak, which doesn't lend itself particularly well to fly fishing. 
So skutes have been a way for me to still enjoy catching fish on homemade creations. 

Some of my more successful patterns below. Maybe we should tee up a "skute-off" and see what works!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/omjXv3RarnJ6NWRt5
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BigEarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 10:28am
BigEarn View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Rudy Rudy wrote:

I too have tied on Black Magic Saltwater Fly hooks - because that's the only dedicated SW fly hook the store stocked at the time.  Grrr.  Waste of time and money then.

Gamakatsu SL12s

Any idea where I can get these in NZ? 

I can't for the life of me find them here in Chch, and haven't been able to find an online source either (apart from Stu's Flyshop, which doesn't have a very large range of sizes).

I'm about to get some hooks and flytying stuff from the States, but in future, I'd prefer it if I could get them closer to home.

Cheers

Rudy

Try Taupo Rod and Tackle. They have the SL12s and other Gamakatsu saltwater fly hooks available to order via their website.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2022 at 8:52pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kingaling Kingaling wrote:

Those are fantastic, well done. 

I do most of my fishing from a kayak, which doesn't lend itself particularly well to fly fishing. 
So skutes have been a way for me to still enjoy catching fish on homemade creations. 

Some of my more successful patterns below. Maybe we should tee up a "skute-off" and see what works!

Nice work, mate. You've come up with some good creations.
I'm having a bit of fun refreshing a few old fresh water fly tying skills with these skutes. 

There's a guy on YouTube - Michael Jensen (appears to be based in Europe) who ties flies on jigs for pike etc. Some excellent patterns, quite often using rabbit strips and rubber legs, and he shows their excellent action underwater on a hop kind of retrieve. That's very interesting.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 4:42pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers, thanks for the video - always good to get some inspiration on new ideas.

Have you seen those big popper things they make using champagne corks?
I'm sure you could make some interesting SWF patterns like this too. Maybe with a smaller cork. 

These ones use a soft plastic 'tail' but an articulated fly could be tied in place instead. 

They're referred to as "Miuras Mouse" Lures, and used for catching big Pike. But I'd be really interested to see how they'd go on the saltwater here in NZ. 
Particularly smaller versions that could be fished with a fly rod. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 7:49pm
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting. Tying with deer hair is a particular skill and those look immaculate - I tried it a bit back in my early fly tying days (trying to tie some cicada patterns) and had a bit of a nightmare.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 7:56pm
Titanium
Titanium

I tied up a couple of anchovy style imitations on 1/4oz Z Man jigheads from the US and tried them in the work up action near Rangitoto on Sunday.
They were first cab off the rank, and I retired the one pictured below after 3 x 54-56cm kahawai in the top of the water column, and 3 x 33-36cm snapper hopped on the bottom.

The lure is tied with SF Blend (white), UV Ice Dub on the short body, and sparse toppings of UV Krystal Flash (purple), Brush 'n Wing Fibre (achovy - a pinky tan), and some Polar Flash which I believe is what FishMan used in his original Anchovy Bomb.

The photo below is the fly after the six fish, so it's a bit ragged, but more durable than I expected.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2022 at 4:27pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I like using bucktail but I haven't much experience with the body hair, cinching it down and getting it to stand up, then trimming it back. Looks like a good way to have the fly push more water.

Saw these online which look cool: 

The famous FishMan Anchovy Bomb - a FAB pattern! Good mix of materials there. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2022 at 3:30pm
Titanium
Titanium

Decided to have some fun and tie an experimental skute to imitate the paddle crabs off the Far North beaches - which the snapper and trevs like to snack on.

I went with some 'Kung Fu Crab' pattern inspired claws (raised in a defence stance) made with zonker style strips i cut from a home-cured possum pelt; the body is pale felt I had in the garage for putting on the bottom of deck chairs, with gold Sharpie markings to match native paddle crabs, and cut to shape; there's a bottom layer of white foam that came in packaging and I cut to shape - hopefully looks like the bright white underside of the naturals and gives it a bit of buoyancy off the sand; melted heavy mono eyes.

I was mindful of avoiding 'stonefly syndrome' which causes fly tyers to come up with exact replicas that look great on a table, but are so rigid they move nothing like the real thing in the water.
So i incorporated a layer of EP brush in dark tan sandwiched between the felt and the foam which sticks out among the legs; and the rear paddles next to the lead bulb are possum strips that wave in all directions when the jighead is twitched backwards. The front claws move too.

The fish cruising on the sand in 6m off East Beach will ultimately be the judge, but it was a rewarding project.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 4:36pm
Titanium
Titanium

A 'skute' piper for my Far North trip harbour fishing. 7" body of layered SF Flash Blend ('Bronze Back', over 'Camo', over 'White'), an accent line of UV Purple Krystal Flash, red throat, 3D eyes, and an experimental beak made from the clear hard tip of a seagull feather - with a fluoro orange thread hot spot and epoxy coat. The total length is just under 9".
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 4:53pm
Titanium
Titanium

I once saw a monster snapper chomping on a wrasse-type reef fish along a rocky part of the Northland coast. So I had a bit of fun today tying a skute to imitate a good old common Spotty (Paketi). The entire skute is SF Flash Blend. The main upper body colour - 'Rainbow' - is a great blend of pale bronze/pale aqua/gold flash/hint of lavender that really comes alive, and is a bit darker than it appears in the pic. The belly below the hook is 'Off White' with a hint of chartreuse. The 7" body is tied in stages to build bulk, and i was pleased with the way the proportions turned out. I added eyes and some finishing touches with Sharpie permanent markers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 5:40pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good job there.  I looked at the pic and the first thing I thought was Spotty / Paketi.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 6:19pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work Lester, good luck up north.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 5:18pm
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Fish Addict and Kerry. All fingers and toes are crossed for decent weather next week.

Here's my final effort before packing up the tying kit - my take on a generic mackerel hybrid tied with EP Gamechange Blend fibres in three colours, and a bit of flash through the middle of the tail. As with the SF Blend fibres, I think the subtle incorporation of several colours in the EP blends give the fly a more natural appearance - rather than monotone colours. Of course the fish will be the judges, not my human eyes!

Again, 6-7 inches on a 1/2oz TT jighead.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2022 at 4:49pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 9:51am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

That's a beauty Will, how'd you get the V shaped tail like that? Looks great 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 9:04pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

haha yes I,m loving those tails. so I tie on a tuft of bucktail and then i put some uv glue on it and preen it out with my fingers till I  get the shape I want and then blast it with uv and it sets like that. do the top one first and then the bottom.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 2:39pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 3:11pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Very cool, thanks for posting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 8:52am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Big balls for snapper

Page  <1 120121122123>