Who's been tying?

Page  <1 119120121122123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 6:13pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

My most bitten kingfish fly so far this year
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 10:40pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I,m not sure if this even legal but it feels deadly.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 11:31am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

H'mmm I'm not sure that will even hook up very well?

I like your other fly. I'm presently trying to figure out what is the best fly to use for kingies. Dick Marquand's captures on anorexic clousers has really made me question what I normally use and made me think that I should probably diversify a bit more.

The trouble is - all fly experimentation takes time and a zero result does not necessarily mean your fly is bad. It can be a very difficult thing to figure out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 12:12pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yip,

it can be a rabbit hole,

ive found to strip it back to basics works for me,

ditched most synthetics, trying to stick to Bucktail, and concentrate on what it looks like to a fish in the water[not what it looks like to me],

As far as kingys in shallows gos, i get more attention from a bright fly in low light,
and dark as hell fly in a bright sun.Silhoette etc
Which is similar findings of guys that chase GTs and tarpon etcetc.[or any other predater fish thats looking up],

But if you were sinking deep id be turning that theory on its head!LOLWacko

Thats my 10 cents,
Heres hopeing this 'La Nina' gives us a good season[like it did last time]
looking forward to lots of warm hours staring at the water,And avoiding responsibilitys!
'A Good Life Wasted'!LOL  

Best of Luck To All!!
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 12:45pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

"The trouble is - all fly experimentation takes time and a zero result does not necessarily mean your fly is bad. It can be a very difficult thing to figure out". 

Haha so true. i have been getting lots of follows but the one at the top was getting the most hits and the hook up. Ive noticed they can follow the fly from the buoys and directly behind the fly but dont grab it. Its s when they come from the side they seem to smash it hence the crazy popper hook set up..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 1:40pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Some cool flies there Will. I'm going to be trying Dick's sparse clouser a bit more myself as well. Would be interesting to see how they go on the markers.

I find it's easy to reach for a big fly for kingfish but in the Waitemata the majority of kings I have hooked (excluding markers) have been on small size 2 or smaller anchovy patterns.  I will have to try that on the channel markers this season and see what happens. It's the same kingfish so I won't be surprised if they take it just as happily as a 2/0 piper fly. Piper flies have been my most successful around markers once the sun is up while early mornings I have done best on crease flies.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 9:19pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey guys just an update I didn't even think about the issues with treble hooks so I looked in to it and here we go. I don't want any part of that😁.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 1:26pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 1:58pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yay! you did better than me. I did a tour of the local rat king hot spots yesterday, but couldn't find any! Couldn't even find any kahawai. It was a nice morning though

Looks like the weather is going to stop all fishing plans for awhile.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 2:02pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I think you have to be an artist to be a SWF'er, some amazing looking lures here
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2021 at 7:58pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Bucktail version of my anchovy fly. The original is working but is high maintenance having to untangle every few casts. I am hoping the bucktail gets hits but I will untangle anything if it is catching fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 7:06pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 9:17pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Excellent Love the big eyes. Obviously the kings do too

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 11:54am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

@Will

Nice looking flies mate.
Those ones that are tangling, I'm guessing thin synthetic material.

If you add a collar - use material made on a brush and do one or two wraps - you will find it keeps the longer material from wrapping around the hook.

Even bucktail fibres splayed around the material that is tangling will help. You don't need to go thick - sparse will do just to veil and hold the synthetics in place.

Hope this makes sense to you and helps.Thumbs Up
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 8:10pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thx for the tips m8.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 6:25am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

"Even bucktail fibres splayed around the material that is tangling will help. You don't need to go thick - sparse will do just to veil and hold the synthetics in place.

Hey Jappie this is working a treat. A few buck tail fibers under the white and also under the grey are keeping these things nicely sorted, thx for the tip.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 6:58am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Back at the vise yesterday (no fishing allowed, naughty boy LOL), replacing creasies lost, destroyed by fish or pinched by sticky-fingered mates.

Foundations, finished product, and one that had taken a few kings but was annihilated by a GT. Chris Beech gave me a handy tip on a trip a few years ago - rod binding epoxy adds durability. The example in the foundations photo was recoated yesterday after the epoxy layer was worn off. Because I find dealing with superglue and epoxy a bit of a chore I tie (glue) them in batches. Hook is 4/0 SL12s.

You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 7:06am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Should add that I use foam post glued into the 'mouth' of the fly for buoyancy and to ensure that the mouth is nice and wide to provide that satisfying 'bloop'. Also, I settled on that particular body  shape because I believe it provides a better action and noise than the flat faced versions. I mean I could be wrong, but I like it. Foam is 'Loco Foam' and I've settled on this rather than 2 or 3mm foam because its light, flexible, swims well and can take a beating with adequate protection. Thicker foams can sink and not swim all that well when coated with epoxy. And, long tail to anchor the fly in the water. A mate was telling me that stripes are a warning sign to predators and would 'scare off kings', right before the one he was casting was inhaled by a nice king... hahahahahaaaaa who knows how fish think?

Each to their own I guess, but this recipe is one I like. Probably takes 5 times longer to roll out, but I did have the time, at the time Smile, to get it done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 7:56pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Okay team, an invasion of a 'skute' maker to the venerable fly tyers space! Here are my two latest attempts at the salt fly/softbait jighead mash up popularised by Nathan off Big Angry Fish a few years ago. 

Given it was another $hitty weather non-fishing weekend i thought I'd get out my old vice and tying materials. I decided to tie up a squid, and a green 'rock cod' type fish pattern.

Each has some saddle hackles in the tail, along with some flash. I epoxied on the eyes.

The body of the green baitfish is SF Flash Blend, with a back topping of Ice Dub Shimmer Fringe. I decided to give it some custom stripes. The body of the squid is Senyo UV brush (two different colours). I incorporated part of an old rubber squid (the thicker 'tentacles').

They might be over-elaborate for your average snapper - and I'm mindful of wise words from FishByFly to strip back to basics, and think about what the fish sees, not the tyer - but I just wanted to have some fun. 

I am going to dedicate a morning on my annual Far North trip to using these, and some Double Bunnies I tied a while ago. Hopefully they will have the right imitative qualities in the water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 6:34am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Really nice Lester. I'm not sure where the line crosses between fly & Skute but I can say I use lightly weighted jig heads on some snap flies for deeper water, and yes, they can be cast with a fly rod.

Love that squid version, do you dye your grizzle feathers?
Page  <1 119120121122123>