Who's been tying?

Page  <1 117118119120121 123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 8:06pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Interesting Different species but I'm sure those lures would work. I have been thinking about something along the same lines. Currently on the hunt for clear soft tubing in a real small diameter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 2:46pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Loving the Gamakatsu SL12s Short in the smaller sizes. I was unaware that they went down to size 6. A good strong hook. If I can get the skippies to eat this fly it means I can step up to the 10wt and put a bit more hurt on the fish. I don't want to spend half an hour playing each skippy!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 6:43pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hookless flounder fly for kingis. Underwater this moves really nice, experimenting with the hook positions.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 9:16pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Interesting Some of those dark grizzled feathers that come off Paradise Ducks would probably work well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushkid03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 11:06am
Bushkid03 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Tying some snapper flies, I call these ones "Soggy Possums" as they have a collar of New Zealand's favourite tree bear.
The flies end up about 5inchs long and are tied on Gammie SL12 2/0 hooks. There is a bit of UV reflective stuff tied in as well just incase snapper are into it.
Fished real shallow like you would a soft bait I have had good success (although snapper will hit anything), caught kings on it to.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 11:45am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

They look very snappery. Nicely tied too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 5:17pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Nice looking flies! Good to have a bit of stinky possum mixed in with all those glue smells too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 6:19pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice looking flies folks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 5:55pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

More natural colors. Squid
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 6:58pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I like that, looks squiddy and as I said in the other thread they are around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 11:21am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Looks good. I would put a big set of dumbbells on it, cast it in front of one of those flats cruising kingfish, let it bottom out and leave it there.

I used to catch juvenile squid underwater. Sometimes they would flee to the bottom and change their colour to the colour of the substrate and sit there with their tentacles held slightly upwards. They would only reluctantly move from this hiding position. If I was lucky I could catch them there. Trying to run down a backwards jetting squid was impossible. I never saw an escaping squid get chased by a fish, they're simply too fast.

Sorry for yet another suggestion on what to try with those flats kingies
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 11:26am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Bring it , it makes sense. I had more shots today and seem to be getting more interest at the fly, they are not just swimming past but swirling in the fly zone, i also learned to today if the fish is swimming off course from your fly i was wipping the water with the line and the fish would change direction and come towards it. Had fair shots with the crease fly as well but no go for the kings.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 5:33pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looking forward to the success story coming soon
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 9:10pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

So tied this up last night
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 5:56am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

That must have been difficult. Technically challenging
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 6:34am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Lol, which brings up when is a fly not a fly?. this doesn't feel right to me. I was looking for legs for the squid fly and then saw this and thought ello ello ello.
Is it a fly because you can cast it with a fly line?
or is it a fly because it is a combination of materials made to resemble prey?.
Is this the same as buying a premade fly that you didnt make?
dilemmas!. 
I definitely would feel better catching something on something I made and created  so maybe its juts a personal goal we set for ourselves and find the balance between effort and reward?. 
Is there a line we draw?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 10:41am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I think everyone has different ideas on what constitutes a fly. For me I always prefer to use something I've made myself for that extra bit of gratification that comes with it.  

Or even getting creative and using something a bit left of field. We had some wilted celery in the fridge the other day, and it goes really floppy with a great action like a softbait! I might have to rig one up and try catch a fish on a stick of celery! LOL

Here's a tube fly, there's a guy on the kayak fishing forum who swears by these for catching all of his KY livebaits, trolling behind the yak. His don't even have any eyes or mylar tubing or anything, just a Bic pen bit and the hook. 

Should cast with the fly rod ok. I'll likely have a tail of some description on the hook that I use it with. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 12:36pm
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

What can I say other than I'm a simple sort of bloke, it works for me, and I still chuckle at how well. Bought a box of 10 pens for about $10 at the start of Summer. Still have a few left.
:-)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote queenfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 8:28am
queenfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Kingaling Kingaling wrote:

I think everyone has different ideas on what constitutes a fly. For me I always prefer to use something I've made myself for that extra bit of gratification that comes with it.  

Or even getting creative and using something a bit left of field. We had some wilted celery in the fridge the other day, and it goes really floppy with a great action like a softbait! I might have to rig one up and try catch a fish on a stick of celery! LOL

Here's a tube fly, there's a guy on the kayak fishing forum who swears by these for catching all of his KY livebaits, trolling behind the yak. His don't even have any eyes or mylar tubing or anything, just a Bic pen bit and the hook. 

Should cast with the fly rod ok. I'll likely have a tail of some description on the hook that I use it with. 

I have seen this type made surface popper fly and very effective on some fish. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote queenfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 8:48am
queenfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Kingaling Kingaling wrote:

Saw this online and thought some might find it interesting. Thoughts?

One day there were thousands of jelly fish drifting in the current, each one had at least 15 tiny bait fish drifting under each one, king fish smashing the bait fish under the jelly fish, some were hitting so hard the jelly fish was popping out of the water..
I had seen that fly some where, so I tied with 3 flies on one hook. of course with out the jelly fish on top. didn't work, put a single #6 hook fly, it worked, so I canned the Idea, but it doesn't mean it won't work.
Page  <1 117118119120121 123>