Who's been tying?

Page  <1 102103104105106 123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 7:47am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have caught snapper in the upper harbour mangroves in late winter/early spring but have not tried mid winter yet.  I suspect some will be there so worth a try.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearo2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 10:10am
Spearo2b View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Some more creations has anyone here caught decent snaps from very small shrimp flies..everywhere I'm fishing usually has an abundance of the little suckers go me wondering if snaps would take an easy feed if presented well?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 2:09pm
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Very nice flies Spearo2b. Put one of those in front of a snapper and it will get scoffed. Very impressed. Cheers
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 2:55pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tried a small pat swift shrimp sunday morning out of boat near long bay - nothing on that there but got a few small snapper on booby and pinkwhite clouser.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearo2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 3:59pm
Spearo2b View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Mudfish marquand Mudfish marquand wrote:

Very nice flies Spearo2b. Put one of those in front of a snapper and it will get scoffed. Very impressed. Cheers

Thank you will be letting ya know how they go if I don't donk them on a back cast haha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 5:38pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Many years ago Peter Carty tied me up a small unweighted shrimp fly. It was absolutely annihilated by small snapper. Everywhere I went snapper under legal size nailed it. But no big ones. Then I read that juvenile snapper up to about 30cms long feed very heavily on amphipods (sand hopper type crustaceans) , but change their diet above this size. I didn't catch big snapper until I persisted with big flies like the ones you've tied above. As squid season starts to kick in they will have a lot of appeal to big snapper.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2019 at 7:25pm
Gold
Gold

Not works of art, but functional. The flashy clouser with the red head picked up two good size kahawai this morning. A couple of days ago, I saw kahawai nailing whitebait and these two #8 flies do the trick. The body material is Polarflash, and the hook is a Black Magic. I vary the size of the bead chain depending on the depth of water and retrieve speed required. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2019 at 7:40pm
Gold
Gold

These are my latest plunger micro popper flies tied on Black Magic #8 BMSWF08E hooks.  I use these on the #1, #2, and #3 outfits. These are a later version of the plunger popper flies posted a week or two ago. They certainly create enough commotion to get takes from kahawai. The face of the popper is 7mm. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 8:33pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Good to see you're still finding some fish Dick. Things are really starting to slow down up here. We did find a few big kahawai smashing juvenile piper and caught a couple, but the water seems very dead otherwise. It looks like a big southwest cold snap coming this weekend too. I might be forced to go trout fishing! Roll on summer!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 9:38pm
Gold
Gold

Yeah, it was bloody dead today. Only fished for two hours at the edge of the channel. Caught one good size kahawai on a clouser, but the water was dead, no gannets, terns, gulls or cormorants working, no sign of bait fish or predation. Makes me more determined, I'll be back at it tomorrow. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 8:53pm
Gold
Gold

This fluoro pink/white clouser has been doing the damage recently. Not a big kahawai, but was tasty. Its stomach contained about a dozen cockabullies' and a species of shrimp I have been seeing lately that I can't identify. I believe the fluorescence makes a difference to catch rates. Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 5:13am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Very nice MM When I can drag myself away from some tree felling work and get back to the fly tying bench I will be tying lots in fluoro pink

Just a note with your photo postings too - if you put a space in between the picture embedding file and the text your text will appear underneath the pic. At the moment the start of your text has been hung up on the edge of the pic. I adjusted the pic above to give you an idea of what I mean. More moderator power

And thanks again for all the info and pics you have shared from Tauranga. It is adding a very interesting new dimension to the forum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 5:35am
Gold
Gold

Okay Craig, many thanks. To be honest, I have know idea how to post photos. I get my son to do it. Guess I had better work it out. I struggle with this sort of stuff. Are there instructions anywhere? Thanks again. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 9:28am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm keen to come down to Tauranga some time, looks like a great fishery throughout the year and you clearly know where to find the fish. Very much enjoy reading your posts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 9:45am
Gold
Gold

No problem Jofly. If you feel like company, you are most welcome to join me. I fly fish most days. The hot bite time for the harbour in my experience, is around 90 minutes before low water. Just heading out the door now. We all have tough days, especially flats fishing for the kings during the spring, summer and autumn months. Fly fishing is an on going education. It's really good to fish with like minded people as it expands one's knowledge. When you fish on your own with your own ideas your knowledge band is limited. I'll never forget when I first fished with Nik Mathiesen. It made me realise how little I knew and my knowledge band widened considerably. Send me a pm if you're keen. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Spearo2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 2:12pm
Spearo2b View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Note to self more flouro pink....
Here's my take on some flouro pink shrimp and a tan shrimp
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 5:19pm
Gold
Gold

You're a very talented fly tier Spearo2b, those flies of yours are works of art and I'm looking forward to hearing how you go fishing them. What's the hook brand and size please? Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearo2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 5:40pm
Spearo2b View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Oh cheers really appreciate that. Hooks I have used for the pinks are a Daichii 2/0 I have thrown the packet sorry os not much more info in those, they were bought at rodnreel. And the tan shrimp is tied onto a Gamakatsu sl12 s hook which I bloody love.. Caught a few reasonable fish on them too for a smaller hook..

All of the ties I have taken inspiration from a pattern called the crimp (half shrimp half crab) and tied a body in like the merkin crab style but using sparkle yarn.. Efficient easy and clean.. Without having to stack and trim epfibre or body materials alike.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 5:54pm
Gold
Gold

I am sure they will work well on snapper, trevally, gurnard, kahawai and kings. I can only imagine the result of casting one of those at tailing kings. Thanks for the hook info. I'm a real fan of the SL12S hooks too.
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearo2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 3:47pm
Spearo2b View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi all wanting a little bit of constructive criticism on these baitfish ties.. I usually tend to tie alot of clouser variations and smaller heave and leave flies.
In my attempt to balance my knowledge on swoffing flies I've tried to tie some baitfish flies that may be more solely used for Kings, KYs and likewise predators..

these two are around 110mm long from eye of hook to tail
these two are around 75 80mm sparse tied anchovies 80mm
Page  <1 102103104105106 123>