Who's been tying?

Page  <1 9899100101102 123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 5:30pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice Tys,
my ten cents is green is a good choice in nz  waters,  a good contrast.
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 7:39pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Crab flies are a bit of a mystery. Will's looks the goods and will catch fish. Your fly will catch plenty of fish too spearo but like a lot of crab patterns I wonder what the fish really sees. It's a nice tie. Maybe add some rubber legs in a criss cross fashion just in behind the eye. They are working well for me, even though my flies look nothing like crabs!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearo2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 11:34am
Spearo2b View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah I have played with quite a few variations and found that the more fluffy and less crab like seem to be the go. So not really sure what I am imatating but seems to have moderate success. I was in the mangroves around whangateau area the other week and saw the biggest shrimp I've ever seen was about 100mm long and 25 wide was quite a unit and tied this crab fly. With that in mind
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 12:54pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sounds like you've got the Aussie greasy prawns there too. They are right through the Waitemata and are also reported as being thick in Whangarei Harbour. No doubt they're spreading. They're a powerful motivation for fish to feed inshore
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 7:00pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

what colour were they spearo?
we had a hatch of pink ones in the Waitemata a couple of years back
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearo2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:02am
Spearo2b View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The one I saw was almost like the small transparent ones we have here all around our rocks. But it was a little greener. But I only. Had a glimpsing look at it before it buggered off.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 12:54pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My first fly tied last night a Crazy Charlie. With a bit of pearl flash under a pink ribbed body.
Be a bit easier when I get my proper vice instead of the jury rig system I used last night

The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 4:53pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Great fly for kahawai Sink them deep them fast retrieve back
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 4:58pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

Sounds like you've got the Aussie greasy prawns there too. They are right through the Waitemata and are also reported as being thick in Whangarei Harbour. No doubt they're spreading. They're a powerful motivation for fish to feed inshore

We definitely had these guys up in the shallows at Point Chev 3 or 4 years back and the snapper were gorging on them.

Haven't seen them since though...
It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 5:14pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yes, it's the nature of invasive species that they can suddenly disappear as fast as they appear. I'm sure there's some people hoping this one stays around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 6:41pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'm all for em! They seemed to slot into the environment nicely LOLLOL
It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 10:30pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I had a few good takes on a brown ‘Crazy Charlie’ on a Kerikeri rivermouth, nice fly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 10:55am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hope it's ok to post this as it's not strictly fly fishing..

A mate gave me some old jig heads so I tried my hand at tying some Skutes, anyone else given it a go much? 

I tried tying it in a clouser style more akin to a SW fly, but with a bit more body. Hoping I can use it to target Kahawai, Snapper, Gurnard and maybe Trevally, depending how I fish it. Although the jig head will probably make it a bit heavy for targeting Trevally. 

Looking forward to using em next time I take the kayak out.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearo2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 9:11pm
Spearo2b View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Have been kept busy at the tying table during this not so great weather. Here's a few from the week.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 2:10pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Anticipating some wharf fishing. Nighttime specials drying on the fire...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 3:00pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Lumo and white marabou?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 6:13pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

No. Just white and pink marabou, no lumo. Nickel brass eyes have a drop of glue on them to make them glitter a bit but that's it. Plenty of lights on the wharf. Small anchovies being smashed by kahawai and jack macks. At size 2 this is fairly close to the bait in action and size.

Spearo, skills are looking good It looks like you've got my problem though - artistic deviance on the fly tying bench. Too often I keep on 'creating' rather than tying the basic patterns I need It gets to be a problem
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearo2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 9:57am
Spearo2b View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Oh 100% I do in fairness tie my fair share of reliable basics just to keep me going on more than hopes and dreams 😂😂
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 12:29pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Some piper flies ready for action
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 1:40pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice G - plenty of room in that fly box for more mate. Keep tying!
Page  <1 9899100101102 123>