Hello from BC. Canada

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote zaconb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from BC. Canada
    Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 10:22am
zaconb View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hello from the Great White North! I’m fortunate that I will be visiting New Zealand during the Rugby World cup and I’m interested in trying out your fishing. So please bare with me over the next few months as I post questions on various aspects of your saltwater soft bait, jigging , and fresh water fishing.

My first question would be on tackle for soft bait fishing and jigging. I will be bringing my own equipment so would you suggest I bring my own soft baits and jigs, since they are very inexpensive here, or are they easy to find there?

Cheers

Rick

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 11:04am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They are pretty easy to find here I think, a reasonable range certainly, and they "fit" our target species as well.... :-) Also,of course, there is the issue of weight... if you can save weight in your luggage by buying your tackle while here, you may have an easier trip over.
However, I am sure you will get plenty of advice and info from scanning thru this site,
cheers mate,
Stu.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote zaconb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 2:29pm
zaconb View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Stu,
I will wait to get terminal tackle when I'm there, I just wasn't sure about selection.  Taking lots of gear is normal for me , but it makes it easier if I don't . I live close to Cabelas and Basspro so selection and sales are common LOL
Cheers
Rick
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BigTackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 8:07pm
BigTackle View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

You will have issues with using your gear in fresh water as MAFF will take interest with you and want to check and clean you gear, and vice versa with the whole did didymo thing. Also any scented plastics are a no no for the fresh water scene.

Jay
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tennut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 8:19pm
tennut View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Rick,, I am based South of Auckland, about an hour.Fish mainly in the Hauraki Gulf,,,,if you can get anywhere near ,,and we have a reasonable spell of weather, you would be more than welcome to come out for a fish ,, I only use softbaits and would have plenty of gear available, ,,,,,,all you gotta do is touch base whenever, Cheers, Pat,,,, PS Go the All Blacks,,(and Ireland!!)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote zaconb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 3:36am
zaconb View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi to all,
Sorry for the delay in responding but I just got back from a couple of weeks in Florida.  Managed to get out fishing almost everyday even with family obligations.  Amazing how many hours of fishing you can get in if your willing to fish all night.  LOL
I also finially got to try my new Stella 10000, 5000, Cabo 60, and G Loomis Escape travel rods on Tarpon, Shark, and various species of near shore fish.
We are still hammering out the dates for our trip to NZ but a 3 day stop in Ackland around the 16th of Oct. looks about right followed by a road trip to the Paihia area ( i think).
I'll post more once I unpack and if anyone is planning a trip to the Vancouver area PM me.
Rick
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 10:03am
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by zaconb zaconb wrote:

Thanks Stu,
I will wait to get terminal tackle when I'm there, I just wasn't sure about selection.  Taking lots of gear is normal for me , but it makes it easier if I don't . I live close to Cabelas and Basspro so selection and sales are common LOL
Cheers
Rick
Oh, then you will be disappointed here after those 2 stores
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 11:28am
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by zaconb zaconb wrote:

We are still hammering out the dates for our trip to NZ but a 3 day stop in Ackland around the 16th of Oct. looks about right followed by a road trip to the Paihia area ( i think).
Rick
Hi, Rick.

I'm in Russell, just over the water from Paihia, and mainly fish softbaits.

PM me if you decide you are definitely coming to the Bay of Islands.

Cheers.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote zaconb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 4:15pm
zaconb View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey PJ  thanks for the post, I'll  PM you once I work out the details.

Ciao,
Rick
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote zaconb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 3:05pm
zaconb View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Plans are set looks like only one day in Auckland and the rest of our time will be in Tauranga Bay (Oct. 18-21st).  So can anyone suggest a charter and let me know if the shore fishing is worth while.  I'm taking 3 sets of gear two spinning, stella 5000, 10000 and one conventional Avet HX all with travel rods.  I would like opinions on my choice of gear and if they will be worth taking for this area and time of year.
thanks Rick