Who's been saltwater fly fishing? NZ

Page  <1 103104105106107 123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 7:03pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Hengemaster Hengemaster wrote:

Thanks for the reassurance. Certainly not wasted the time, it will all be good ground work for when the fish are around and the conditions better.

Fishing time is never wasted!Thumbs Up
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 5:24pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

henge,

try to stay in Auckland if ya can during xmas new year,
all the jetskis head to russel and the fishing[especially for kings] is great,
and traffic pretty light, can easily get shallow water to ya self
I find the Tauranga harbor pretty hectic to that time of year.
pus the weather can be a real gamble,.

Mark, if ya finding the fishing tough at the shell banks, it might be cause of the guy setnetting just inshore of there[seen him today while passing]
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 5:55pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FISHBYFLY FISHBYFLY wrote:

henge,

try to stay in Auckland if ya can during xmas new year,
all the jetskis head to russel and the fishing[especially for kings] is great,
and traffic pretty light, can easily get shallow water to ya self
I find the Tauranga harbor pretty hectic to that time of year.
pus the weather can be a real gamble,.

Mark, if ya finding the fishing tough at the shell banks, it might be cause of the guy setnetting just inshore of there[seen him today while passing]

I suspected something and on my last visit found two plastic bags out on the bank loaded with rocks - obviously to anchor a net. In the spirit of plastic bag reduction i removed said offensive objects and disposed of them in the nearest waste receptical ...
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 7:09pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Great weather for big fish...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 10:35pm
Platinum
Platinum

Nice fish - no doubt a bit of a handful in amongst the rocks ...
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 5:34am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

It was a typical 'monster' hit - weight is solid, as though you've hooked a rock, but the rock starts to move very fast!

Funny thing is my initial thoughts were "bugger... a monster!". This is because I was hoping for some pannies to eat and I didn't really want to carry out anything larger than three or four kilos. The spot I was on is hemmed in by cliffs and gutters so one big fish charging around generally kills the rest of the fishing for a good hour (except for kahawai). So - if I'm fishing with a feed in mind it is better to catch a few pannies than have one big fish that rips up the surrounding water and may get released anyway... if you can follow that line of reasoning Smile

Also, I have lost probably 50% of the really big fish I have hooked at this spot thanks to a minefield of rocks and kelp, so one big fish tearing up the immediate water and scaring all other snapper off for an hour or so is, in reality, a fish that might signal the end of the fishing session and may be a fish that I might not even land!

This fish tore off sideways under a very heavy drag and buried itself in the kelp. I thought I was doomed. Luckily the trusty old 10wt Xi3 had enough lifting power to pull it out of the kelp and encouraged the fish to move into less kelp infested water. 

It weighed 8lb on the boga grips... just small enough to eat and carry out Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 10:46am
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

well doneThumbs Up
all I ever hook in those landbased situations is rocks that don't move!
got it sussed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 12:00pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cracker Red Craig! 
It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 11:07am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice CraigThumbs Up
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 10:03pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Lovely fish!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 1:46pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Been lurking this forum for about a week now. I visited Mangawhai a couple weekends ago. 

Went out on the estuary at dead low tide to collect pipi's, filled my bucket in half an hour and then got the fly rod out for my first time saltwater fly fishing! 

There were a bunch of guys fishing the anchor - next to where the channel deepens about here: https://goo.gl/maps/4ko7iZ39qQ62 

Due to my SWF inexperience I was unsure of the best spot for me to try, so I decided to just post up next to these guys with their traditional surfcasters etc. I figured their pilchards and mullet might bring a few fish in. 

They must have been wondering 'who the hell is this guy fly fishing!' - one guy assured me that there's "no trout around here mate!" all in good banter. 

First cast was pretty average, only got about 10m but I started stripping anyway and wham! Picked up a 20cm Kahawai first cast on a small white and yellow clouser fly. 

Not big but lot's of fun on the 6wt. Amazing how well those small KY fight for their size.

Over the next hour I was there I caught about 10 KY, all around 15-25cm. While the other guys there didn't catch a single thing which made for some good chat.

I actually kept 4 of these little KY because the missus is Danish and I wanted to have a go at a scandinavian pickled herring recipe for her  using KY. I will definitely make it again, DELICIOUS on rye bread, or crackers with a little mayo or tartare. 
Felt a bit bad about the small KY though, might try herring or sprat for next time. 

If anyone's interested here is the recipe: http://www.foodtolove.co.nz/recipes/pickled-kahawai-21100 - something different to try, and keeps in the fridge for up to a month. 10/10 would recommend. 

I have definitely got the bug for saltwater fly fishing now and I'm itching to get out around AKL and start figuring out what it's all about. Hoping for some experiences like this some day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 2:46pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome Kingaling, great that you started off with a bang and had some fun!  I will definitely be trying that recipe, it looks really good!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 4:37pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Clap
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 5:56pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one K!Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 6:40pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Great fun on the 6wt! Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 7:48pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good work, mate. There are trevally in that harbour as well, no doubt kingies down near the entrance at times. Good sized flounder up in the muddy areas.

I remember seeing pickled herring at a hostel in Oslo - put out for breakfast - when I was on my OE along with cheese, ham etc.
The other tourists turned their noses up, but I thought 'When in Vikingland...'. Very tasty. I think there were, from memory, a tomato one, a curry one, and a basic vinegar one. A bit like mussels in the supermarket here.
First time I'd seen Nutella as well. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 8:35am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers TK, 

Great memories in that estuary when I was a kid - heading out at night with a torch, spearing flounder with my Dad. Would be nice to catch some on the fly.
Many people here chased flounder on the fly? This article makes it sound like great fun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 1:34pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yep, plenty of flounder chasing around here KG. If you do a forum search on the topic you'll find plenty on it. I've had a couple of goes this spring but have been beaten by the wind so far. Gotta have good visibility for flounder on fly to work best. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 1:37pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers, I'll have a look into it. One of my favourite fish to eat actually 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 8:29am
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Kingaling Kingaling wrote:

Been lurking this forum for about a week now. I visited Mangawhai a couple weekends ago. 

Went out on the estuary at dead low tide to collect pipi's, filled my bucket in half an hour and then got the fly rod out for my first time saltwater fly fishing! 

There were a bunch of guys fishing the anchor - next to where the channel deepens about here: https://goo.gl/maps/4ko7iZ39qQ62 

Due to my SWF inexperience I was unsure of the best spot for me to try, so I decided to just post up next to these guys with their traditional surfcasters etc. I figured their pilchards and mullet might bring a few fish in. 

They must have been wondering 'who the hell is this guy fly fishing!' - one guy assured me that there's "no trout around here mate!" all in good banter. 

First cast was pretty average, only got about 10m but I started stripping anyway and wham! Picked up a 20cm Kahawai first cast on a small white and yellow clouser fly. 

Not big but lot's of fun on the 6wt. Amazing how well those small KY fight for their size.

Over the next hour I was there I caught about 10 KY, all around 15-25cm. While the other guys there didn't catch a single thing which made for some good chat.

I actually kept 4 of these little KY because the missus is Danish and I wanted to have a go at a scandinavian pickled herring recipe for her  using KY. I will definitely make it again, DELICIOUS on rye bread, or crackers with a little mayo or tartare. 
Felt a bit bad about the small KY though, might try herring or sprat for next time. 

If anyone's interested here is the recipe: http://www.foodtolove.co.nz/recipes/pickled-kahawai-21100 - something different to try, and keeps in the fridge for up to a month. 10/10 would recommend. 

I have definitely got the bug for saltwater fly fishing now and I'm itching to get out around AKL and start figuring out what it's all about. Hoping for some experiences like this some day.

Well done! That's same place i did some swoffing a couple of summers back, lovely water. 
 If you are around in Auckland gives me a PM and see if cam meet up for of the suburban fly fishing available.
The Auckland Swoffer
Page  <1 103104105106107 123>