Who's been saltwater fly fishing? NZ

Page  <12345 123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 7:42pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

aaarrrrrarrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhh! Sounds like a great day, pissed off I couldn;t make it... this week.... How is Tuesday looking for you?
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ShaunQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 8:10pm
ShaunQ View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

haha hope you got through that pile of work? Tuesday looking real good -

As long as my wrist isn't buggered by then! Your clouser took a hammering too, shredded by the days end so it must be the business.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ShaunQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 10:06pm
ShaunQ View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Out amongst the kahawai schools today, a good but frustrating day as they were all around the boat but seemed to be feeding very selectively. In the water were tiny 2-3cm translucent smelt, I had a much larger fly on to start with and wasn't getting any hits.

Switched to a tiny 10 size hook with a small amount of white crystal flash and although it looked very similar in the water, the kahawai were following but not taking. Tried a super slow retrieve, then a medium retrieve, and finally hooked and landed 3 big kahawai using a fast retrieve. Epic fish to battle and I was amazed that the tiny hook didn't straighten or break.

Never had trouble before with catching kahawai when they are feeding, anything you throw out seems to be taken usually, but today was different and although frustrating seeing fish following the fly and feeding all around the boat, its great that kahawai can offer so much with a fly rod in hand.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 12:06pm
Titanium
Titanium

Follows but no takes or just nips by Kahawai virtually always means faster retreieve.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ShaunQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 1:49pm
ShaunQ View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

You coulda told me that yesterday :) It just seemed odd to me to strip line in faster than the smelt could possibly swim, but it certainly seemed to work. Plenty of snapper showing below on the sounder too but drifting in 12m of water so not ideal for the fly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 3:41pm
Titanium
Titanium

Bugger... time I sorted my **** out.... when the rain goes we'll have another crack... I've got lines will get us down 12 meters... :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 8:15pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Managed to get out from Leigh today for the first proper saltfly session in a long time.  Opted to go fly only since my shoulder is still a bit tender and also kept it at a 6wt trout outfit mostly.  What great fun.  The other two were fishing lures only, mainly various metal jigs/spinners and some soft-baits.

The morning greeted us with endless large work-ups right from the outpost as far as you wanted to go really.  I was up 3 kahawai before the other two even even landed one.  They were going a bit big initially but eventually they caught up as they could land these horse size kahawai a bitter quicker than I could with my 6 wt LOL

When the work-ups eventually died down a bit we headed towards Pakiri and set up a burly trail in the shallows.  Worked really well for about an hour.  A number of snapper (small, up to 32cm) and more kahawai.  Got hit on just about every cast.  Then it just stopped completely.  Not sure if it was tide or what but it just stopped.  Importantly almost all hits were when the fly was sinking or stationary.

Headed back to find some more work-ups and found some quite wide of cape rodney.  I was boatman so not fishing when my mate's reel started screaming as he hooked, what we thought at the time was a rat kingi.  Well it turned it to be a rather large skippy.  My mate was very surprised and really pleased.  His first.  Not on fly but still really cool.  Couldn't get another one so headed back in.

Absolutely great day with tons of fish landed on fly and lures.  I hope the fishing keeps going like this for a few more weeks!

Here's a pic that shows the size of the kahawai.  Great fun on a six weight.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 8:25pm
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

wicked , fantastic bit of coast up there.Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mike thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 7:08am
mike thomas View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great Report, well done. That sure looks like some fun.
All the best.
Mike
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 8:07am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah, nice work! Cool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 1:52pm
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Is that the new rig Johan?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushkid2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 5:12pm
Bushkid2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Xtoad/ Stu,
 Did you get to Noumea and have a lash with the fly rod?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 9:40pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Xtoad Xtoad wrote:

Is that the new rig Johan?

Yeah, here's a couple of pics.  Really happy with it Big smile Have some ideas for mods but will do that in another topic at some point to get some opinions.  Don't want to hijack this one.  It makes for good reports on fishing.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 5:37pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Managed to get out today for a few hours despite the SW.   Just anchored up behind Motuihe in some shallow water near a reef with a bit of current.  Set up a burly trail and within a few min had a bunch of small to med kahawai.  Unfortunately that was it and it died off as soon as it started.  I think the current was a bit much and our burley wasn't getting down deep enough to get snapper within casting distance of the boat.  Also a guessing game as I don't have a sounder at the moment.  It still has to be installed.

Saw a few birds near Crusoe rock so headed over that way.  Eventually had a few kahawai bust ups and landed maybe 5 in a short period on some lures.  I didn't have a chance to play with the fly rod as it was really close to the rocks so had to constantly stop the boat from getting blown onto the rocks.  Still, was fun to watch the kahawai madly chase my mate's lure.  Would have been a great spot for fly if there had been no wind.  They were right in amongst the rocks.

Trip back was fun Wink wind against tide.

Anyone else get out?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 6:14pm
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hey , jofly, i have'nt been out for a week or so - did some surfing during that last east coast swell, however i was a bit scratchy this arvo and went for a walk on meola - damn cold to be walking around up to the gonads on the high tide - four small kahawai for my efforts . I could tell you about some spots around motutapu that fish well on fly from a boat your size - I will send you a pm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 7:57pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good effort Matto and pretty brave this time of year!

Better yet, send me a PM with your details, then I'll drop you a line next time I have a free spot on the boat and we can go and explore the spots.  Always keen to add a flyfisho to the mix Smile

Cheers,

Johan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 5:38pm
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thanks jofly, i wasn't fishing for an invite ( yeah right!Smile ), however would be pleased to show you those spots, basically north side of rangitoto ( gardners gap ) and administration , has lots of little pockets of fly fishable area - some of it is obvious , and a few seasonal things seem to happen relating to baitfish movements , what I like about the area on fly is that it is overlooked by the softbaiters due to the shallow area , and once again does not appeal to the bait brigade, but with gentle prospecting in a small boat can be good. good.ba.bay http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=-36.74841,174.901872&spn=0.033665,0.05343&z=15
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ShaunQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 7:50pm
ShaunQ View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Finally some good weather/sea conditions at Waihi Beach this week, lots of kahawai schools still about so landed a few large specimens when I first went got out there this morning. Wind picked up a bit by mid day and realised I had been drifting for an hour out into deeper water so turned the boat back towards land and anchored up at my favourite spot just out from a band of cliffs. Slow fishing from then on except for hooking a mighty big barracuda and battled him into the boat, was amazed that my 20lb leader held up to his dentistry or lack of. A quick stabbing session with the knife and back he went, another specimen on the fly.

Heading for home I stopped at Big Point which is a small headland and a change in direction of the coast line, has a nice little rock that sticks up just out from it and is a great spot for kingies in summer. I hooked what must have been another barracuda as I played him for a short minute then the line went slack, totally shredded line and broken at the hook knot, gutted, can I have another one of those over sized white clousers please Clark? Retied with one of my own clouser attempts, kind of a small green and blue version. Second cast and after about 5 short strips along the bottom the line came tight and I struck with a good strip strike, line peeled out directly towards the cliff face and I was just holding on waiting for a bust off. Managed to turn the fish after he made another few sizzling runs, then I had a beautiful kelp snapper at the boat, my biggest to date and I was stoked.

Really nice to finally battle with a decent sized snapper they're great fighters on the flyrod and when your in the shallows and amongst rocky terrain the adrenalin is cranking.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 8:13pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Well done Shaun Clap a nice pic and a very nice snapper Thumbs Up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 9:10pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thumbs Up
Page  <12345 123>