Who's been saltwater fly fishing? NZ

Page  <1234 123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 8:23am
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great fish !
i was there on the low/incoming to check it out for the first time , the tide kept me moving and a small kingie or big kahawai was busting bait where ever I was'nt !- those oysters are are not easy to run on. - do you use a stripping basket ? I was wondering about a roll out mat with sticking up cable ties ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 10:28am
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good work!
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 1:53pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers guys - i was pretty stoked. Mark id guess it weighed around 2.5kg

Craig yes the oysters are real harsh on leaders and lines - ive been getting through a few snagged flies too! Have also really noticed the shootability of my flyline has decreased since fishing Meola.

Matto I dont usually use a stripping basket as i like to travel pretty light but its a good idea to manage line and reduce abrasion for sure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 8:08pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Stripping basket is basically an essential at Meola unless you are wading and have a floating line - and even then wave action will usually see it around an oyster or rock. The plastic box type baskets look pretty cumbersome, but a canvas and netting design (mine is a snowbee supreme) is a few grams and can easily push out of the way to the side when required. Makes a good landing net too when wading in waist deep water.

snapper-basket

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 6:31pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

second that!
ive got a similar one,  saves heaps of frustration,
nothing worse than hooking a good fish then loosing it 'cause your fline caught on a snag as the beasty peeled line out of your hands,
their suprisingly light to and pretty cheap ,i think i payed about $50.00 for mine
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 8:30pm
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I had to try my $2 stripping basket out this arvo , fished for 30 minutes and got two of these babys before th
is twister sent us packing, good thing it missed us by 200mtrs as I did not want to try hugging oysters. Very weird seeing building materials raining down into the sea. Immediatly afterwards a tidal surge pushed into the rocks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 8:47pm
Platinum
Platinum

I think you win the "Extreme Fly Fishing" prize for this year!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 10:49pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey Matto,

Nice work on the Kahawai

You could have used your stripping basket as a hard hat too if the twister got any closer!

Did it work ok?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 6:32am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Excellent kahawai there Matto. That's a great spot. I wondered if anyone was there when I heard about the path of the twister. Well done at getting out of its way. I shudder to think what would happen if you were hit by a twister amidst all those oysters!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 7:08am
Platinum
Platinum

Matto, I'm intrigued - with kahawai that big in the shallow water: did you get it blind casting or did you cast to a bust up?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 7:29am
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

first fish was a 2mtr cast to a swirl close to the rocks , two  kahawai circled the fly and a second lob of the fly got a hook up, the fight was very lame , perhaps due to the close quarters . The second fish came from a blind cast into an area where turns had been diving and I had seen seen a bust up, an excellent running fight with several jumps . It looked like a few similar fish feeding around the place, tide was incoming , weather was not so good! Wolfie - I may have already collected my prize as I am found a nice little fly on the rocks - good to see what others are fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 11:17am
Platinum
Platinum

I have lost quite a few flies at Meola - even found one of mine a few weeks later at low tide - but useless as mud has turned it into a totally grey-black massCry

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 11:49am
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

fly will be returned to rightful owner upon detailed discriptions of lost flys over last two weeks  Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rudy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 1:31pm
Rudy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sweet photos matto!

Especially like the first one - gangster!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 6:49pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice one matt,
great photos, loving the basket!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 11:43pm
Platinum
Platinum

Got out today (Sat 7th). First look at Meola - water was opaque tea. Went to Pt Chev- water clarity a bit better and improved as tide came in. Not one bite in four hours fishing - as wind picked up,some rain and temps cooled. T.zilla paddled out to say hello and scouted around. Hooked three little kahawai on the wade back in as the kite sailers began to take over.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 8:05am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Wolfie.. you will need to learn to take better photos Wink ... the Sage logo should fill most of the pic and the fish should be well off to the side Smile.
I went out in forty knots of wild nor'wester to a semi-sheltered rock to practice my casting in a storm. Caught very little of course- the sea was like washing machine. Only fish was a small snapper as I ran from a rogue wave.. that one liked fast flies. It did give me good reason to look at the weight of my flies. Realised I was low on flies with oversized dumbbell eyes. Really need something heavy to get down in turbulent water like that. The heavy flies actually cast better in a wild wind too.
But this was around the corner and well away from all the fresh coming down (although the water still looks pretty milky). I think you'll find Meola will need a extended few days of no rain in order to bring it back on the bite. Freshwater floats on top so shallow areas are stuffed first by rain. 
We've got a couple of 'up-river' spots here. Reygeart did really well at one spot when he was up- with plastics (heathen!). Now though, it's a dead loss. Far too much rain. It will take a good week of dry weather to make those spots fire again.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 8:35pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hay matto, I'm greatly disappointed that you don't show that level of dress etiquette when your on the boat. And I braved that tornado as well no commendations I see. Of course I was On the Motor-way in a truck stopped by police for fear of earache. but we are not quivelling.  Thought you said it was snapper. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 7:58am
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nup , i am not going to bite mattoo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ShaunQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 7:07pm
ShaunQ View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Had a great day out on the oily calm saltwater, first time its been calm and no swell in over a month, perfect way to spend a Friday. Lost my first two fish due to trout striking, yelled out loud at myself and the rod tip for lifting, really focused on the feel if the line and stripping hard on the strike for the rest of the day. Anchored up at my favourite spot up the coast in 6m of water and proceeded to berley up with cubed bonito. Managed to hook and land a few 35-40cm snapper, stoked to get my first snapper on the fly, they ended up coming right up off the bottom and I could see the snapper feeding on bonito cubes below the boat, hooked two more fish by letting the fly drift down the line of the berley.

Then motored back towards home and sat in about 3m of water right in on the beach, beautiful evening with glassy water, casting out and slow retrieving a clouser back along the sand. Hooked a beautiful trev that put up a good fight and came aboard. Really is a delicate process of feeling the first "bump' from the fish finding the fly, then a short and slow strip to pull line tight and wait for a slight change in pressure, then strike! Heaps of fun and a lot more time to spend out there polishing the technique, like tomorrow...
Page  <1234 123>