Newbie's Personal Best Photos

Page  <1 5678>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 7:35pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by FredKaiser FredKaiser wrote:

Thanks smudge! I heard from an old fella from Pukekohe. I've met him at Papa Aroha (past Coromandel township). As I am still a beginner, I have a lot of time for the good old yarn.

After he told me that, I invested on a trout license and started fishing with softbait in the Karapiro dam for the trouts and always bringing them with me to the fishing missions. More successful in the Hauraki gulf than Tauranga with trout as bait.

I'm new here and a beginner fisherman... hoping to learn a lot from all the people here!

I just bought my second boat... I've started 3 years ago with a SeaNymph 13'6 with a 48hp on the back and now I've got a Buccaneer 540 Cabin called Jay Jay... with 90hp yammy!

A couple of tips for using trout as bait ...........

You have probably already discovered, that unless it is a juvenile fish then the skin of trout present a real challenge to penetrate even with the sharpest of hooks & should you eventually manage to do so then it is unlikely to be much flesh left on the skin as a result.

The secret lies in laying your section of bait skin side down on a bait board or similar then pierce the skin by pushing a needle pointed spike such as an iki spike, then once the spike has penetrated transfer it to a hole in the board approx 3 mm dia to complete the piercing.

Having done that thread the point of your hook thru the hole ( once only ) from the skin side so as the bait hangs on the hook with the barb exposed.

The belly section is the prime area to utilise if pickers are a problem as if belly bones are left in place the hook can normally penetrate the skin without the need to pre pierce, as the bones tend to support the flesh from disintegration.

Good luck

PS stuff anything not used like head, guts, backbone, tail etc. into a mesh bag then add to your burley bag.

PPS if you are not the squeamish type remove the eyes to put on your hook then prepare yourself for the possibility of a BIG surprise!
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote SanderW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 12:17pm
SanderW View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anglers Name: Sander Wissing
Locaton: Wellington trench
Date:18/7/2017
Species:Hapuka
Shore, boat, yak: Boat (charter)
Weight (or estimate) :
Tackle used (Rod/Reel) : Electric reel
Method (Jig, bait, Softbait...) : Bait

This is easily the biggest fish I have ever caught :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 12:40pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

and probably the best eating fish here in NZ. I enjoy bottom fishing for them. Well done

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SanderW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 4:16pm
SanderW View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Haha, that is what reminded me to post the pic.  I was just having last night's leftovers for lunch :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 7:09pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good on you Sander. They really are one of our better eating fish and it takes a fair effort to catch them! As I guess you found out Thumbs Up
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bricker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 9:49pm
bricker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anglers Name: Guy Mason
Date:25/3/2018
Species:Snapper
Shore, boat, yak: Boat 
Weight (or estimate) : 8.5kg
Tackle used (Rod/Reel) : Shimano Gear
Method (Jig, bait, Soft bait...) : Stray-line...whole pilchard.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 11:47pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That must have gone like a freight train in 5m! Well done Bricker
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote boatman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 5:46am
boatman1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Congrats! You look so happy there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 9:41am
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Anglers Name: Kingi Fiddla
Date: March 2021
Species:Snapper
Shore, boat, yak: speed bump
Weight (or estimate) : 22lbs est. (released)
Tackle used (Rod/Reel) : Shimano Gear
Method (Jig, bait, Soft bait...) : can't say - shaneg has concrete gumboots for me if I tell :-)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LedgeNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 11:20pm
LedgeNZ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Date: August
Species: Gurnard
Shore, boat, yak: shore
Weight (or estimate) : 50 cm and 48 cm - couldn't measure weight
Tackle used (Rod/Reel) : Abu Garcia 14.5ft 10-15kg rod, Shimano big baitrunner, 30lb braid. 60lb black magic shock leader and 4/0 klt hooks
Method (Jig, bait, Soft bait...) : bait

#blackmagic30years
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 6:01am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice, a gurnard that length would be around 1.2kg+ depending on condition. That's a nice snapper too KF
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 1:02pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

...That's a nice snapper too KF

KF hasn't logged on here since 26 Aug 2021 ........ ???  He used to be a regular.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 9:48pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

...That's a nice snapper too KF

KF hasn't logged on here since 26 Aug 2021 ........ ???  He used to be a regular.

Ohhh he hasn't either, he's a good contributor. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 8:54am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Think I upset him in the Covid thread by making a joke about his neck of the woods being in Auckland as he did post in the the Yakkers thread at the start of lockdown.
It was a genuine joke and quite funny to be fair and was light hearted.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 10:52am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Think I upset him in the Covid thread by making a joke about his neck of the woods being in Auckland as he did post in the the Yakkers thread at the start of lockdown.

Oops

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 2:48pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Oops

I have made contact with KF to check if he is OK.  We had exchanged numerous pms about his planned 'marlin moonshot'.  I can report he is fine but I don't expect to see him posting here any time soon. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 2:37pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We’ll that’s good. Actually miss his posts on the yak thread but ah well.

I knew he was ok as he was posting on another site.
I thought it was a quite funny joke to be fair and you cannot in anyway call it personal it was only a reference to the thread that was all.

Anyway it’s a shame when people get so upset I would rather them call me an asshole and get on with life.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 2:49pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Agree on that Muppet, no good being precious at the moment, plenty of flack around and it will get worse as people get stressed.
At the end of the day life is too short to get too carried away and its getting shorter for some now !!LOL
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 2:54pm
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

You definitely going to hell for that one...lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 2:55pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah honestly tjm I would like to think I can have a bit of joke about things and still have a beer with the guys. I guess I it’s my site work environment and childhood upbringing that manifests itself you get a thick skin.
Anyway I could be wrong about it maybe KF had other stuff going on, I don’t know.
Page  <1 5678>