ID your fish here

Page  <1 34567 18>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote petethemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 10:42pm
petethemeat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

not exactly like a snapper but... Butterfly Perch? 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 11:03pm
smizz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by petethemeat petethemeat wrote:

not exactly like a snapper but... Butterfly Perch? 

thats it pete.. the 1 caught was about 25cm... average size?
When shooting a mime, don't use a silencer or his friends will hear you.
If camera lenses are round why do the pictures come out rectangle?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 11:04pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

i am pick that is what it was as well petethemeat...
caught a few down the bottom end of Waiheke over low foul and reefie areas...
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 6:14pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That fits the description alright, I've even seen one of those.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote petethemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 11:11pm
Platinum
Platinum

Never caught one myself but they are prolific on some dives. Up to about 30cm I think. Lethal- how did you catch yours?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 12:37am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

one of Uncles sabiki rigs....

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2012 at 3:56pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They are close relatives of pink maomao. The ones up north are generally small, but around Cook Strait get to well over a kilo.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 2:15pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I didn't know a butterfly perch would take a hook.

They smell pretty strange but are OK to eat (just). They are similar to butterfish in taste ..... not that that is a good thing. LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 3:26pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Unclejake Unclejake wrote:

I didn't know a butterfly perch would take a hook.

They smell pretty strange but are OK to eat (just). They are similar to butterfish in taste ..... not that that is a good thing. LOL

We get plenty of these in Northland on a small hook and bait around reefy areas, but being a small fish we let them go...
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 6:49pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK, someone i.d. this one for me then...

...it is from the sollies, and we cannot get a definitive answer for the damn thing! More pics....

Any ideas? False fusilier? Saddleback Snapper? no-one can tell us!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote petethemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 8:30pm
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah, I reckon Saddleback snapper (Paracaesio kusakarii)
ref: Fishes of the Great Barrier reef and Coral Sea. 2nd ed. (Randell, Allen, Steene) pg 513.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 11:00pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Coolio, must be it then....
cheers, Stu.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 8:50pm
Kitten View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What's this fish? Was bright red!

Dunno why I always catch the oddballs and my sister who didn't really like fishing got the big snapper lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bokbefok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 8:53pm
bokbefok View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Goatfish possibly?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 8:58pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Did it have a mouthful of teeth like Helen Clarke? Scarlet wrasse.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 8:58pm
The cook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fairly sure its a pigfish

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 9:09pm
Kitten View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

No, don't believe it had teeth. It was a bright red. I am really stumped on that one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote petethemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 9:32pm
Platinum
Platinum

Cook is right. Definitely Red Pigfish (male). Bodianus oxycephalus.
Sure does have teeth - next time pop your fingers in there and you'll see I'm right
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 9:54pm
Kitten View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Haha should have specified didn't seem to have teeth like Helen Clarke (i.e. not noticable to me but I didn't get close enough to see).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 9:56pm
Kitten View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I caught it up far north ways. Was completely bewildered by it and chucked it back lol 
Page  <1 34567 18>