ID your fish here

Page  <1 1314151617 18>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 7:58pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

name this fish,
these are a protected species there is maybe 3 or 5 around our coasts,
these pic's are from our spear'o friends from off this site,
from what i remember they are around and only a few know their exact location,
its too cold for them to breed so treat them with respect if u happen upon one.
bet a few people have had their spools emptied by the odd one and never new what hit them.
as you can see they are quite shallow,

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote petethemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 8:21pm
petethemeat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah, it's a special place. The BSG are awesome.
Saw a yellow banded perch (my first and only so far) at Arid last year. Quite large (60cm?) and to worried about us being close.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote petethemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 8:23pm
Platinum
Platinum

Oh and that's A Queensland Grouper isn't it? Saw one in Rakiraki - it was bloody huge!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 11:02pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

yellow banded perch are supposed be common at the Poor Knights?

have those grouper Peter become tame at all or still shying away from humans?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote petethemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 1:20pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

yellow banded perch are supposed be common at the Poor Knights? 
Maybe, I haven't seen one there but only dived there about 10 times or so. 

have those grouper Peter become tame at all or still shying away from humans?
Was at Raoul in 2009 I think. They weren't afraid of us but you couldn't get close enough to hug them - like in that classic picture (Wade Doak?) -stayed about 1m away. 
We fed them Weetbix - which was the only thing the old man would let us use from the provisions LOL- they ate it but didn't look overly impressed. 
The Queensland Grouper in Rakiraki was definitely not scared of us. Just swam up to the dive group in the open. I remember trying to get the scale of it at the time- had to be a 6-7 foot. Remember thinking it looked like a goldfish scaled up to massive size! LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 5:28pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

cheers for that Peter very interesting,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tortise01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 8:46pm
Tortise01 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Took dad for a fish yesterday.
Since it was his first one, i'll post.
Still waiting for a confirmed name. Some of the earlier posts say "Rock Cod", some "Kelp Fish".
Either way, it did swallow the hook and we had to cut off and threw it back.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cigar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 9:06pm
Cigar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hiwi Hiwi
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote petethemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 5:41pm
Platinum
Platinum

Yep Hiwihiwi or Kelpfish.
Chironemus marmoratus
Common is shallow reefy areas (at least in northern Nz - not sure about South Island. )
Similar to Marble fish but those tend to have a more rounded head.
Unsure of their eating qualities.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mmetaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 8:37am
Mmetaylor View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

That bluefin is INSANE!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlirezaR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 10:23pm
AlirezaR View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys,

I'm new to fishing and while in Bali Indonesia I've caught a fish which the locals called "Salih" but I couldn't find the English name of it. Googling also didn't help. So please take a look at these photos and tell me if you can identify what kind of fish it is?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 10:32pm
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Pretty sure that is a rainbow runner
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 12:28pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Couple caught the last week on reefs around shag rock bottom end Waiheke
 Both caught on consecutive drops same trace

This is not a grand daddy hapuka.. very similar  have caught and eaten them before

And this is not a goat fish.. again very similar but different patterns/ colours and far brighter / deeper colours.. and damn nice eating. Angle doesnt show but across the bridge of the nose very defined and intense deep blue/ purple stripes

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 2:26pm
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some type of scorpion fish (there's a few species), and a goat fish (red mullet).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 5:13pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Herb's right. The scorpionfish is probably a large example of a dwarf scorpionfish (Scorpaena papillosus), although it is a little hard to tell exactly from the photo. And yes, the second fish is our standard NZ goatfish (Upeneichthys lineatus) it is just a coloured up dominate male. We caught a similar one a few days ago. They must be getting a little agro as summer moves in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 12:45pm
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've seen them coming right up off the bottom in the last couple of weeks, eating Burley, and chasing each other around- not 'normal' behaviour.

Sooooo ah Steps, you actually did catch a granddaddy and a goat fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 4:23pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

And yes, the second fish is our standard NZ goatfish (Upeneichthys lineatus) it is just a coloured up dominate male.

yep that sounds right.. the intensity of the purple stripe across the nose could be explained along those lines, thu the over all colouring is a little different to other goat fish have caught

The other is not a granddaddy..have caught and eaten enough... granddaddy doesnt have the brown patches....so would put in the same type of fish as granddaddy/ scorpion type species.....
Have been told its a red rock cod.... and matches the pic was shown
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 5:25pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I'd go with the scorpian fish Steps Big smile

What I've learned from this discussion is that I've been misspelling  scorpion wrong for years Big smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 10:44pm
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

And yes, the second fish is our standard NZ goatfish (Upeneichthys lineatus) it is just a coloured up dominate male.

yep that sounds right.. the intensity of the purple stripe across the nose could be explained along those lines, thu the over all colouring is a little different to other goat fish have caught

The other is not a granddaddy..have caught and eaten enough... granddaddy doesnt have the brown patches....so would put in the same type of fish as granddaddy/ scorpion type species.....
Have been told its a red rock cod.... and matches the pic was shown

You do not have a cod.

You, again, have a type of scorpion fish (aka granddaddy hapuku), and a goat fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 11:21pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I think almost every fish in the ocean gets called a rock cod. I've heard of triplefins, scorpiOn fish, hiwihiwi, ******* red cod (often called ling Confused) wrasse, perch etc all referred to as rock cod. Exactly what is a rock cod Herby?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Page  <1 1314151617 18>