ID your fish here

Page  <1 1213141516 18>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfishers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 2:06pm
kingfishers View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Might be a dumb question. At first look I think its a sardine but then my mind says part of it looks like a blue mackrel.?? Any thought.
"My mind has gone fishing, ask all questions tomorrow"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 2:13pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep Blue Mackeral
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 9:43pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

It's not a stupid question at all Sabin! that's the whole point of this thread. As Tzer satys it's a blue mackerel, sometimes called a slimey or english mackerel. They do get to a reasonable size and they are a great bait.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 9:59pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Caught a Blue Mackeral in the Manukau a couple of summers ago. Looked like a blue Mackeral except it lacked the zig zag darker markings on the back  that blue mackeral have. Was pure silver with slightly darker blue grey back. Didnt quite know what it was. Sent to Te Papa for I.d. They decided it was a blue Mackeral lacking the normal markings. Now in their collection.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfishers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 11:08pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Tzer, smudge and cirrus...!!!ClapClapClap. I had caught Blue Mackrel @ east coast. This picture was quite tricky.

Now will give you the full story.. This fish was identified by the contestant (Australian Master chef) as a sardine and the Master chef Judges agreed to the same..!!

But as I said , I had different thoughts..!!Smile Thats why I took a photo from the video and checked it.  Will try to email those idiots (or so called experts) and tell them to get their species correct,especially when they are on national TV. ..!! WinkWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 8:48am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Fish may not be their specialty , doesn't mean they are idiots Wink.

A lot of people lump all small fish together calling them sardines, sprats and herrings.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfishers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 8:58am
Platinum
Platinum

I knw smudge...!! But its the way they pretent to be..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pauluk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 5:35pm
pauluk View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hello everyone
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote AxisOfBeagles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 11:32am
AxisOfBeagles View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Been lurking on this site for quite a while but only recently discovered this thread - and really appreciate the photos and id's. Can now confirm my mystery catch of last week (Chetwode Islands) as a scarlet wrasse, likely male - and am so glad I was able to ID it here, read up on it - before I tried eating the thing. 

Applause to all for putting up the pics and ID's - much appreciated by those of us less knowledgable in such things. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 6:02pm
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Caught this out at White. Never seen one before, if someone could id it that would be great:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 6:45pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

It is a deepwater species of what the Aussies call a 'sergeant baker'. They are caught occasionally along the northeast coast in water that is around 100m plus depth.

The species name is probably Hime pyrhistion and on Fishbase they are calling it the 'flaming flagfin', but you might want to check that with the guys at Te Papa.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 7:48pm
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great, thanks Craig
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KahawaiKerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 5:19pm
KahawaiKerry View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

i caught two of these ot Omaui beach today n iv no idea what they are. https://s-syd1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/12802828_10205684912631830_422818622502381606_n.jpgoh=1b0d7f80184f54a5cf7aa4c51419b7c3&oe=575BC029
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 6:04pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

This is Kerry's fish. Anyone know what it is. It's a wrasse, but what kind?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 6:08pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Banded Wrasse.?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote petethemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 8:24pm
petethemeat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

Banded Wrasse.?

X2
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Toyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 8:03pm
Toyz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anyone know what this is? Found it washed up on the shore on lake Rotorua, so I'm taking it was dumped and isnt a fresh water species?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote petethemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 9:42pm
petethemeat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Toyz Toyz wrote:

Anyone know what this is? Found it washed up on the shore on lake Rotorua, so I'm taking it was dumped and isnt a fresh water species?

Red Moki.
Yes - saltwater species.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 7:33pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

how awesome the Kermadec Islands are,
these fish are caught in ZN as well but are not all the common,

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 7:34pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

how awesome the Kermadec Islands are,
these fish are caught in NZ as well but are not all that common,

from left to right
yellow banded perch (Acanthistius cinctus),
notch-head marblefish (Aplodactylus etheridgii) in a rather red-brown colour,
black-spot goatfish (Parupeneus spilurus)
and painted moki (Cheilodactylus ephippium) and another yellow-banded perch.

Page  <1 1213141516 18>