ID your fish here

Page  <1234 18>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 10:46pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hi Secala, greenbone are also known as butterfish, if you look at the post from Shut Up & Fish there is a pic of a good catch of greenbone between the scallops and the witch flounder.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bazzman58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 7:04am
Bazzman58 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Snake Eel.
We all have one that got away..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gerrystackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 4:16pm
Gerrystackle View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Snake Eel......oh god, that brings back nightmares. One went at me big time after being brought in on a long line on the brother in laws launch.....a nasty piece of work and boy was it angry! I ended up on top of the big Icey-Tek bin hosing it off the back of the boat as it lined me up and charged me. Evil....pure evil.

Brother in law almost peed himself laughing......i almost peed myself for other reasons.
Greg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 10:20pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here are a bunch of Ooooollld pics of various species....

Blue Cod.

puffer fish

King tarakihi

the lovely Cook Strait Sailfish (Coutta)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 10:27pm
Titanium
Titanium

Ah! Some didn'tcome out. Never mind.

Here are a few more....
Kahawai

Pink Maomao.

Southern Splendid Perch.

Common old nz trev... Silver trevally.

Blue Maomao.

common Tarakihi (not king tarakihi.)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 11:41pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The ministry of fisheries also has a good Fish ID section.  They provide clear photos and regulations of most commonly caught fin fish.

http://www.fish.govt.nz/en-nz/Recreational/Most+Popular+Species/Fish+Identification/default.htm

One word of warning, the regulations are sometimes out of date or plain wrong. I have contacted fisheries about the errors I found but they never responded.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 1:42pm
DeKay View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Elephant fish

Type of shark - trunk on capture and store on ice (ie chop off head, guts, fins and tail).
Reasonable eating.

Grows quite big and puts up a decent fight.

Be careful of the big spine on the front top fin.

Part of the 20 combined fin fish bag limit. Check local regs http://www.fish.govt.nz

No size limit.

Fisheries Officer (good blokes)

Not edible, treat with respect and obey instructions.
(also in this pic - snapper, kahawai, gurnard and trevally)

Butterfish (Also known as Greenbone) and Yellow tail mackerel

Telescope fish

No size or numbers limit (to my knowledge - Check local regs at http://www.fish.govt.nz)
(also in this picture - blue moki and butterfish)
Taste similar to blue moki. A bit more bony. Has telescopic mouth.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 7:33pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Blue Fish not very common but you maybe lucky to catch one...
these fish can grow up to 20lb but this one was about 3lb...
please release them if you do happen to hook one...
the spots on the sides are very gold like in colour which doesn't show too well in this photo...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 9:37pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I've only ever seen one blue fish Lethal, they are a spectacular looking fish and have yet to see a pic that does them justice, it was caught at Whatipu.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ILEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 5:35pm
ILEX View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

the spotted black groper is a relatively rare protected species that can swim here from as far as the Kermadec islands- adults can grow to 60kg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BigHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 12:25am
BigHead View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Was at the wharf catching some yellowtail for bait then saw the rod flicker as if I had bites then just went dead. Eventually another yellowtail got hooked and reeled it in.

On the bottom hook was this weird looking fish and was wondering what kind of fish this is.

When I got it up on to the wharf it didn't even flap around.. just lied there.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 7:32am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

It looks like a ******* red cod
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BigHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 11:57am
BigHead View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Crap.. I would've thrown it back if I knew :(
I thought it was just some butt ugly bait fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 12:36pm
Titanium
Titanium

I dunno Smudge, it has pretty prominent scales, you don't see scales on the red cods do you? Mind you, it has been a while since I got one....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 2:01pm
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'd go with Bastar d Red Cod too.
Capt' A, are you sure your splendid perch is a southern splendid?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BigHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 3:44pm
BigHead View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Not sure if it had scales or if it looks like it has scales but it was slimey as hell.

It's almost slug like..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 12:08am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Well Bstard red cod dont have scales but they are slimey and floppy. Big Head says it was slimey so still a bstard in my book.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 9:17am
Titanium
Titanium

Cool. And I do agree, it is a b'stard when you get a red cod instead of something worthwhile!
In the south they are a target species aren't they? Are the Red Cod they get down south different from our ******* cod, or is it just the cooler water making the flesh firmer?
 Yep herby, that is what the book called it anyhow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 10:02am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by BigHead BigHead wrote:

Was at the wharf catching some yellowtail for bait then saw the rod flicker as if I had bites then just went dead. Eventually another yellowtail got hooked and reeled it in.

On the bottom hook was this weird looking fish and was wondering what kind of fish this is.

When I got it up on to the wharf it didn't even flap around.. just lied there.

Bstard Red Cod grow up to about 3kg. Down here we call them Tony fish on account my mate (Tony) caught over 40 of them one day & has managed to repeat the process on more than one occasion. Mainly catch them on the edge of the foul or when you drift off you anchored mark. Flesh is very watery looking & unappealing, although red cod look similar they are different plus they are edible.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kadin32815 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 10:07am
kadin32815 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

did it have feelers like a cat fish under its chin if it did its defiantly a red cod use to catch heaps of them when i lived in oamaru horrible things got some big ones too my mate got a 60 somthing cm one
Page  <1234 18>